In America, we are electing our Congressmen

Pop

There's a danger that these members will drive the party's agenda too far to the left.

i think they've already done that... howard dean is proof :cat:

they may stay _fairly_ moderate, however, because they want hillary in the president's seat in 2 years. she's moved center to attract the swing vote, so we'll see.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

We lost the House of Representatives!  :'(  *sob*  I can't say I didn't see it coming, though.  :cat:  At least we still have majority in the Senate.  :joy:

uh, that still hinges on VA or MT, right? dems need both i think. i was surprised, btw, that jim talent lost in MO. i got the impression he was well liked there. it was a close race, however.

taks

Oh that Santorum bastard is out? I saw him on the Daily Show once, what a braindead moron that guy is.

BYE BYE! :cat:

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

Voters were angry. They were angry at the inept war in Iraq, at the corruption on capital hill, at the biggest do-nothing congress in history, and at the arrogance of a president determined to "stay the course" no matter what the cost in American and Iraqi lives. This was less a victory for democratic ideals than it was a deliberate kick in the ass of George Bush and GOP cronism in congress.

A reminder, folks, of exactly who these damned politicians work for. If the democrats forget that lesson, we the voters will be happy to re-teach it to them in a couple of years.

Edited by ~Di

Anarchy in the USA!

if you're being serious, you're more of an idiot then I had ever imagined.

Go rent a movie like Black Hawk Down. That's Anarchy. I'm 14 and I can figure this stuff out.

"The force is strong with this one."

Democracy: You may not get what you want, and you probably won't get what you need, but you will certainly get what you deserve.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

If congress gets put into the dems hands at least they have an easier way to check our executive branch

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

A reminder, folks, of exactly who these damned politicians work for.  If the democrats forget that lesson, we the voters will be happy to re-teach it to them in a couple of years.

unfortunately, if the voters decide to "re-teach" the GOP in a couple years, we'll likely end up with more of the same, just a different party doing the filching. jacob sallum has a good opinion piece in the gazette today. during unified control, gov't grows by 5.3% (on average) per year. during split control, only 1.7% per year. eisenhower and clinton both served during splits, and both got credit for low growth, though it was ultimately due to the fact that nothing gets passed as a result of party differences. perverse as it may seem, it tends to work for the better.

in the end, it is politicians to blame, not parties. anytime one mentality/ideology gets total control, the people suffer at its hands.

taks

Good Point ~Di

But i would also like to emphaisize on how ill advised our populous is, especially when i see bumper stickers that say "Union Workers for Bush". Being the information age, whoever has it will be making the most informed votes right?

Heres a pic, the circles represent the most Wired cities in the US and the political view of each state in how they voted for 2004. Make what you want out of it.

post-12325-1163008506_thumb.jpg

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

I liked the Onion op ed: "My vote cancels out y'all vote"

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Heres a pic, the circles represent the most Wired cities in the US and the political view of each state in how they voted for 2004. Make what you want out of it.

that also represents the most populous areas... and most of them were a dead even split (as with most of the country) during the last election. this was definitely payback from the "swing vote" which is, by definition, very moderate and, not surprisingly, the majority of voters.

taks

BREAKING NEWS:

Donald Rumsfeld gets the boot!

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Close senate race still. Democrats need Virginia and Montana to win.

Election Results thus far!

Webb a democrat from Virginia declares he won but its still not over, hes winning by about 8 thousand votes so far w/ 99% of the precinct giving votes now.

In montana democrats are winning the senate with Tester also with 99% of the Precinct in. But hes only winning by about 3,000 votes.

So its close, but Optimistic for dems.

Myspace Website!

My rig

...in the end, it is politicians to blame, not parties.  anytime one mentality/ideology gets total control, the people suffer at its hands.

taks

I agree to an extent, although I believe political parties with their divisive, exclusionary message and their win-at-all-cost mentality creates the politicians whose primary goals are raising more and more money for their party in order to grab more and more power for the party (and by rote, for themselves) rather than doing the actual job they were sent to do... represent the will of their constituents.

I'm a centrist and a moderate Independent. My vote is issue-based, not party-based, so I don't have to refer to any party platform to see what I think. If the congress is totally democratic in 2008, I will probably vote for a republican president (unless Jeb Bush is the candidate... dear God, enough Bushes already!). I do not like to see one party in power. When both parties are forced by the voters to compromise and work together, I believe our system is at its finest.

that also represents the most populous areas... and most of them were a dead even split (as with most of the country) during the last election. this was definitely payback from the "swing vote" which is, by definition, very moderate and, not surprisingly, the majority of voters.

taks

Yea! The most interesting part of this election so far i think is Leiberman's win against ned Lamont. i can see how it happened though. Lieberman used rhetoric brilliantly by saying he wanted the war to end too and its tough over there. Mean While ned Lamont changed his course of Attack. I wonder how this will play out, and which side lieberman will choose to pick on the war.

Myspace Website!

My rig

I agree to an extent, although I believe political parties with their divisive, exclusionary message and their win-at-all-cost mentality creates the politicians whose primary goals are raising more and more money for their party in order to grab more and more power for the party (and by rote, for themselves) rather than doing the actual job they were sent to do... represent the will of their constituents.

true, though the "win-at-all-cost mentality" not only creates, but also attracts power hungry politicians. that's the biggest problem with politics, IMO, as those that have the substance to deal with the political rat-race, typically are not the sorts that average people would care to have over for dinner.

taks