NWN2: Forumite Impressions

Darque

I really don't.

:ermm:

I think I will wear my Chaotic Evil ring at the gaming session tonight. :*

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

"HARM ON A SKELETON!

WHY LINU?!?!? WHY!?!?!?"

Hehehe. :*

"Could be all sorts of reasons, most likely the code base Obsidian were given did not include all the latest updates (if they were added as part of the expansions, and the expansions weren't part of the hand-over, for example)."

They got the latest code. In fact, IIRC, they even got access to post last expansion patch code unless soemthing chnaged b/c I remember both BIO and Obsidian mentioning that when 1.68 came out and a bunch of people (me including) asked if the new cool scripting features that were in 1.68 would be in 1.69. It would make since too since the one thing that NWN2 has really in common with NWN1 is the scripting language, and how it works.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Programming is quite often counter-intuitive; take the example of the "unlimited undo" feature in a word processor. Adding "undo" is not impossible, but it is actually easier to re-write the word processor from scratch with the unlimited undo function in mind, then it is to add it on afterwards, because it is so integral to the way the processor works.

As a funny aside, Electronic Arts just recently revamped the engine for the NBA Live series. Until this past year's version, it had still be built upon old versions of the basic game engine. There were so many parts of legacy code that people years later didn't really know what they did. I guess there was still some old Sega Genesis code lurking deep within the depths of the code base.

Sometimes it is better just to use a clean slate and start from scratch.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

Like Fallout 3. ^_^

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

For the engine? Sure. For the rules system and setting? No. :*

Besides how can you have a clean slate, in terms of setting, rules, and engine, with a sequel? :ermm:

Edited by Sand

Sometimes it is better just to use a clean slate and start from scratch.

And in what way are you qualified to make this statement?

Besides how can you have a clean slate, in terms of setting, rules, and engine, with a sequel?

You were the one that said "Sometimes it's better just to use a clean slate and start from scratch."

Edited by alanschu

Yeah, I said sometimes it's better not all the time it's better. Obviously when making a sequel to a game it is not better to start with a clean slate. I mean, use some common sense, Alan.

Edited by Sand

Programming is quite often counter-intuitive; take the example of the "unlimited undo" feature in a word processor. Adding "undo" is not impossible, but it is actually easier to re-write the word processor from scratch with the unlimited undo function in mind, then it is to add it on afterwards, because it is so integral to the way the processor works.

As a funny aside, Electronic Arts just recently revamped the engine for the NBA Live series. Until this past year's version, it had still be built upon old versions of the basic game engine. There were so many parts of legacy code that people years later didn't really know what they did. I guess there was still some old Sega Genesis code lurking deep within the depths of the code base.

Sounds like Windows ... :*"

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Didn't Microsoft supposedly do a clean slate with Vista or was that just DirectX 10?

Yeah, I said sometimes it's better not all the time it's better.  Obviously when making a sequel to a game it is not better to start with a clean slate.  I mean, use some common sense, Alan.

Is this not a thread about NWN2, a sequel? Or are you referring to my comments about the NBA Live series, which could also be construed as sequels.

What was the point of your original comment?

Edited by alanschu

How are you qualified to question my qualifications to make the original statement? It seems the only qualifications required for me to make that comment is to be logged in, but then again that seems the only qualifications you need to question my qualifications. AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH! :ermm:

What a viscous circle! :*

I was referring to the NBA games since that was the last subject matter posted. In sport games, I imagine, where action is most of the time key it is better to have a more streamline code than have junk code slowly the action down, don't you think?

Edited by Sand

How are you qualified to question my qualifications to make the original statement?

I'm a computer programmer.

What a viscous circle!

Perhaps some lubricant will help you out of your viscous circle.

I was referring to the NBA games since that was the last subject matter posted. In sport games, I imagine, where action is most of the time key it is better to have a more streamline code than have junk code slowly the action down, don't you think?

Electronic Arts had ONE rewrite since the days of the Sega Genesis? The speed at which the NBA Live games run is not the issue.

Edited by alanschu

You're computer programmer? Cool. :D

I learned GWBASIC and Pascal when I was a kid, but I just couldn't get my head wrapped around C++.

I did not really expect this to particularly be "news." I've stated many times that my current project is this.

I have also worked on this, though at the time it was a bit beyond my expertise, as my knowledge of AI was non-existant. Though I was paid via a scholarship, so it's not like it was a huge cost to him.

Sorry, must of have missed it. :)

Looks pretty cool.

Is it bad when you buy a second copy of the game just because you want the cool artbook in the LE edition that you just happen to find at the local Hastings or is that just a sign that one is too obsessed?

I have two copies. The LE that I had to wait for to get shipped to me and the copy I went and bought at the local store the day it was released.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

I wanted a CE version of NWN2. Though, unlike Dark Messiah and Prey, none lasted in the US past pre-sells.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Well, looky here .

Edited by Pidesco

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Closed due to length.

Given the thread has really slowed down and the "newness" of NWN2 has passed, I won't open a continuation at this time.

If someone would like to start another thread about impressions about NWN2 sometime in the future when the topic is fresh again, please feel free.

:)