NWN2: Forumite Impressions

Darque

Tell me then, how was this possible in NWN1, becouse animations were there for it?

It wasn't possible in NWN. Yes you had an animation for it, however as Roshan said, animations take time to run. Cleave is instantaneous. You can't show something that supposedly takes no time at all, so cleave was somewhat slower in NWN1 sp that the animation could keep up.

I played for a few more hours last night. Finished the bandit camp (w/ diplomacy), picked up the Druid and did a first pass talking to people around Highcliff. Based on the hour I've spent with her in the group so far, I'm definitely taking the Druid's side in the Elanee-Neeshka debate. (Although I plan on avoiding any silly elf-halfling romantic subplots.) Neeshka is getting irritating; my girlfriend made me turn the voice volume down because she could hear Neeshka's selection sounds in the next room.

Yup. But another animation thing; is the lack of animation for cleave attacks intentional(had to be cut) or a bug?

Intentional if by lack of animation you mean a separate attack animation like the one which triggered the Cleave. There actually is an animation for Cleave which consists of a purple swipe effect. I like it.

This was a good choice on Obsidians part.

Im playing a frenzied berserker, and there was a round where I was surrounded by 15 or so mephits and I killed them all in about a couple of seconds due to massive numbers of free cleave attacks. This is by the rules but would not be possible if there was an animation for cleave.

It simply isnt possible to animate an instantaneous action - this is only possible in a turn based game.

Tell me then, how was this possible in NWN1, becouse animations were there for it?

In NWN2 you can score 10 cleave attacks in a round because there is no animation for it. Hell it can even be 20. Was this possible in the original NWN with the cleave animations?

I do remember that in Icewind Dale 2, taking cleave or greater cleave was completely useless later on in the game because the Infinity Engine was hardcoded to support only 5 or so attacks in a round (probably due to the animations etc) and you would be able to achieve this anyway without cleaves.

Also dont forget that the original game did not have frenzied berserkers who have the supreme cleave ability. This class would be useless if Obsidian animated the cleave attacks.

Gonna give the game another shot!

Found a bunch of fixes on a certain site.  I would link to it, but I'll probably get in trouble for it (the site links to a securom destroying program and a no CD/DVD patch).

Sounds like my kind of site. Those fixes that is. :aiee:

Basically it's a compilation of fixes that have been talked about on the official forum.

Back to waiting. Now I'm getting stuttering regardless of settings. Completely unplayable now, just beautiful.

Simple simple explanation:

NWN1 looked more realistic, but it fudged the rules to do so.

NWN2 has the "real" cleave, but sacrifices the animations to do so.

I found after playing a while that it doesnt really matter to me either way. I'm not such a stickler for rules and I wouldn't have minded cleave taking an extra 0.5 seconds (more realistic to me, anyway. Cleave should be an instant action in TB, but in RT it shouldn't be.), but purple swipes isnt too bad.

Gonna give the game another shot!

Found a bunch of fixes on a certain site.  I would link to it, but I'll probably get in trouble for it (the site links to a securom destroying program and a no CD/DVD patch).

Sounds like my kind of site. Those fixes that is. :wub:

Basically it's a compilation of fixes that have been talked about on the official forum.

Back to waiting. Now I'm getting stuttering regardless of settings. Completely unplayable now, just beautiful.

Same situation here. I have horrible stuttering even on the lowest frame rates. And the game looks really awful on the lowest settings.

Sounds like you tried to crack it.

As a not so funny aside, the only person I know personally that has had struggles with the game is my roommate, who pirated the game.

Not that legit people aren't having issues, but it did remind me of the pirated copy of the Half-Life expansion, Opposing Forces, that had issues with the game that were actually found to be limited to only the pirated version.

It was hilarious watching people bitch out Gearbox/Valve for the problems, only to eat their words and stumble saying that they did have legit copies and all that.

As a not so funny aside, the only person I know personally that has had struggles with the game is my roommate, who pirated the game.

Not that legit people aren't having issues, but it did remind me of the pirated copy of the Half-Life expansion, Opposing Forces, that had issues with the game that were actually found to be limited to only the pirated version.

It was hilarious watching people bitch out Gearbox/Valve for the problems, only to eat their words and stumble saying that they did have legit copies and all that.

good for those you know (except your roommate)

I know about 20 players, and only one has no problem at all (he says)

all others (including me) have one problem or the other, I just don't talk about it, because i hope for :

a. more patches

b. money to get better parts for my PC

IB1OsQq.png

Two posts that take alan's bait and make a fool of themselves

One is excused since it's roshan

the other is excused for hungarian english.

Keep 'em coming, people.

The even funny counterpart to alan's story, of course, is that half the games I buy, I need to download pirated versions so that it would *work*. Like those budget packages that I got MTW2 with.

I love the keep!!!

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Speaking of the keep.

In my first playthrough I spent prodigious sums of money to upgrade everything fully (since I only equipped my main 3-4 characters), but couldn't do everything because even though I kept finding ore, the armourr/weaponsmith kept saying they needed more ore to upgrade weaponry. It's a pity because I like doing these things even if theres not that much benefit / change at the end (something definitely moddable, I should think, by those who can manage myriads of scripts?)

Keeping an eye out for ore mines from the start this time.

good for those you know (except your roommate)

I know about 20 players, and only one has no problem at all (he says)

all others (including me) have one problem or the other, I just don't talk about it, because i hope for :

a. more patches

b. money to get better parts for my PC

I suggest you look closely at my post.

On a final note, why did you except my roommate? He's the one that DIDN'T pay for the game. I just laughed at him.

Edited by alanschu

Tigranes:

"In my first playthrough I spent prodigious sums of money to upgrade everything fully (since I only equipped my main 3-4 characters), but couldn't do everything because even though I kept finding ore, the armourr/weaponsmith kept saying they needed more ore to upgrade weaponry."

Did you recruit the two miners to get the ore for you? The weaponsmith isn't going it hike out to the mountains to get the ore himself.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.