Paradox Games, anyone play them?

Arilou

So, any fellow strategy gamer bitten by the Paradox bug? I've been playing every game they've released since EU2, and they have mostly been good.

A bit worried about EU3 (some of the changes are not exactly to my liking) but will probably buy it anyway.... So, anyone play EU2, Victoria: Revolutions or Hearts of Iron 2: Doomsday?

Strategy. Llyr and Nickiam are big fans, so I'm sure you've heard of them before. >_

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

The games are really great. They're all historical strategy games (Crusader kings is 1066-1420, Europa Universalis 2 is 1419-1820, Victoria: Revolutions 1836-1936 and Hearts of Iron 2: Doomsday 1936-1954)

They're really cool (all except Crusader Kings which I never liked) managing to capture the essence of each era rather well. Vicky is particularly complex as you not only have to manage the economy and fight wars but contend with an unruly electorate....

Ive met the CEO, nice chap he was. I only play A&A boardgame anyways.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I'm pretty ambivalent. The one bad thing about the historical monarchs, is that it lets you plan for the future, which is a big problem with the Paradox games IMO.

I love playing HOI2, but in a MP game, it's almost pointless. Because if I'm Germany and you're the UK, you're going to be doing as big of a militarization as you can since you KNOW that war will be coming, and precisely which date as well.

It's a Catch-22.

I hadn't even heard of Paradox until a few months ago, but now I'm hooked. I've already played EU2 to death and am now playing as Japan in Doomsday.

How would you compare Victoria to their other products?

I like that it lets me plan for the future. It adds an extra level of strategy.

It does add a strategic element, but a very unrealistic one.

"Who could blame Skynet? He's such a cute, innocent, steel-bolted robot."

-Gauntlet

I'm sorta horny for Crusader Kings, but I haven't managed to find it on stores.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Hearts of Iron II: Doomsday is the greatest strategy game of all time.

That being said, I'm not completely sold on EU3 yet (nor have I been on Victoria Revolutions). The wargame portion of HoI2 is what I enjoy so much. I'm not fully convinced that I'd play a similar type of game based more on diplomacy/politics/colonization/etc.

If HoI2DD is a good example, Paradox will release a 3-hr demo which allows for the whole game to be played within that timeframe. I'd give EU3 a good test.

HoI2DD + mp coop = gaming bliss. I'm still having an Axis session with Nick, with me as Italy and him as Mr. Wolfenstein robot boss.

We still technically have an Allies session with Alan, if he hadn't backstabbed us. That freaking backstabbing jerkface.

Edited by Llyranor

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

How would you compare Victoria to their other products?

It is very different. The warfighting aspect is kind of a very, very stripped down version of HOI's (IE: division-based, though you only have infantry, irregulars, cavalry and dragoons + various brigades) Unlike HOI2 (which is all about the war) and EU2 (which is all about diplomacy/expansion) Vicky focuses on the domestic stuff: Building an industry (Revolutions brings a *huge* improvement in this: Instead of building factories manually your level of control is based on the economic policy of your ruling party: So in a laissez-faire economy your capitalists will build factories off their own accord while under a planned economy you have to pay for them yourself) and internal politics. Colonization and war is kind of secondary to this, most of your energy is simply spent trying to balance the budget and keeping your people happy... And now and then invading some poor uncivilized country or waging a Great War against a rival Great Power....

I like it a lot, as you can build all sorts of interesting socities and do all sorts of cool stuff.

It does add a strategic element, but a very unrealistic one.

True.

The wargame portion of HoI2 is what I enjoy so much. I'm not fully convinced that I'd play a similar type of game based more on diplomacy/politics/colonization/etc.

Vicky is a lot less wargamey, EU2 has more war in it, but it is rather different. (EU2 is very much a simpler game, but it is, IMHO, the most fun of them, especially in MP (Nothing feels as sweet as haviing your enemy declare war on you in 1620 and then kicking his arse with GIIA) There's still tactics, strategy and force-composition involved, but it's not as detailed as HOI2.