Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

NWN2: Technical Challenges

• Please log in to reply
160 replies to this topic

taks

taks

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2024 posts

Im was given the game has a gift,

then take it back if it doesn't run.

so stop making stupid assumptions,

neither of us made any assumptions.

makes you seem like a prick.

comments like this actually make you a prick, you don't even have the benefit of seeming like one.

taks

Edited by taks, 21 January 2007 - 06:23 PM.

taks

taks

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2024 posts
btw, i should mention that i have upgraded, finally, to a 1280x1024 LCD without a hitch (20" dell). not sure why it does not seem to be a problem, but it is not. the 6800 is running just fine. of course, i have a 7800 GS on the way since my son's box needs a vid card.

taks

alanschu

alanschu

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15747 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Yo that stuff is garbage, my old computer 533Mhz, 256MB ram, 128MB video card, etc ran KotOR 2, BattleFront, Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, and a load of other stuff that "wasen't supposed to run on my specs" perfectly after I started ending a few tasks.

Edit: I forgot to mention.... It was a eMachine!!!!!!!!! I think the bus speed was like 128 or something. and it was Intel Celeron!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Then I do not believe you.

Elven6

Elven6

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 229 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Mehar

Yo that stuff is garbage, my old computer 533Mhz, 256MB ram, 128MB video card, etc ran KotOR 2, BattleFront, Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, and a load of other stuff that "wasen't supposed to run on my specs" perfectly after I started ending a few tasks.

Edit: I forgot to mention.... It was a eMachine!!!!!!!!! I think the bus speed was like 128 or something. and it was Intel Celeron!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Then I do not believe you.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Then you are a fool! When you go to task manager or w/e you end tasks that are using up alot of system memory, including explorer. But you keep the mandtory things on. Then you start your game from the run option at the top, it works 50% of the time!

alanschu

alanschu

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15747 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I'm well aware of the Task Manager thanks.

When you talk about running Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory on an Intel Celeron 533 MHz processor "perfectly," I wonder exactly what you mean by "perfectly."

We're talking about a processor that was released when the AMD "high end" chip was a K6-2 550 MHz. Unless you mean the old Coppermine version. In any case, you're getting a processor running on a 66 MHz FSB. Was it even possible to get a motherboard that supported RAM faster than PC-133 that would support it (because machines that shipped with it only came with 66 MHz RAM. Talk about speedy!). I'm going to assume it's at least the Coppermine Celeron II, otherwise you wouldn't even have support for SSE instructions.

I'm surprised your emachine motherboard even supported a 128 MB video card. Maybe a GeForce 3....assuming your eMachine had at least an AGP 2X slot to put it in. And the GeForce 2 was the worst nVidia based video card you could have that had the required pixel shaders to run the game. "Perfectly" indeed. This is of course all running on a system with a 66 MHz system bus, with a 533 MHz processor, and slow memory.

Elven6

Elven6

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 229 posts

I'm well aware of the Task Manager thanks.

When you talk about running Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory on an Intel Celeron 533 MHz processor "perfectly," I wonder exactly what you mean by "perfectly."

We're talking about a processor that was released when the AMD "high end" chip was a K6-2 550 MHz.  Unless you mean the old Coppermine version.  In any case, you're getting a processor running on a 66 MHz FSB.  Was it even possible to get a motherboard that supported RAM faster than PC-133 that would support it (because machines that shipped with it only came with 66 MHz RAM.  Talk about speedy!).  I'm going to assume it's at least the Coppermine Celeron II, otherwise you wouldn't even have support for SSE instructions.

I'm surprised your emachine motherboard even supported a 128 MB video card.  Maybe a GeForce 3....assuming your eMachine had at least an AGP 2X slot to put it in.  And the GeForce 2 was the worst nVidia based video card you could have that had the required pixel shaders to run the game.  "Perfectly" indeed.  This is of course all running on a system with a 66 MHz system bus, with a 533 MHz processor, and slow memory.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I had a ATI Radeon 9200SE in it which was supported, Chaos Theory wasen't perfect like the others were at times but it was "playable".

alanschu

alanschu

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15747 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
So you got Chaos Theory to be "playable" on a Celeron 533, with a 66 MHz system bus, and at best 256 MB of PC-133 memory?

Also, the other games are just perfect "at times?"

Sand

Sand

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3735 posts
Just a question here... What do those games have anything to do with NWN2? If you try to play NWN2 below specifications and using hardware that isn't supported don't expect the game to work. Plain and simple.

metadigital

metadigital

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 15352 posts

I had a ATI Radeon 9200SE in it which was supported, Chaos Theory wasen't perfect like the others were at times but it was "playable".

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wake-up call: when the publishers give "minimum specifications", it doesn't mean "minimum specifications to get the title screen to display", it means "minimum specifications to play the game to its conclusion, however painful it might be at times whilst the harddrive thrashes to keep up with the virtual memory requirements or the GPU overheats trying to produce more than single-digit framerates, etc."

The fact that you got the game to play was good fortune; to expect that this gives you some sort of supernatural guarantee to play Doom 3 on your Casio wristwatch is just foolish.

taks

taks

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2024 posts

Just a question here...  What do those games have anything to do with NWN2?  If you try to play NWN2 below specifications and using hardware that isn't supported don't expect the game to work.  Plain and simple.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ah yes, more sense from my favorite of the otherwise senseless... you speaketh the truth sand-san...

i gotta give you credit sand, when you try, you are actually rather level headed. of course, in the end, i simply like to poke fun at you of all people! :)

taks

Edited by taks, 27 January 2007 - 12:48 AM.

kalimeeri

kalimeeri

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 573 posts

Wake-up call: when the publishers give "minimum specifications", it doesn't mean "minimum specifications to get the title screen to display", it means "minimum specifications to play the game to its conclusion, however painful it might be at times whilst the harddrive thrashes to keep up with the virtual memory requirements or the GPU overheats trying to produce more than single-digit framerates, etc."

Very true.

There is a big difference between coaxing a game to work, and actually enjoying playing it. In DOS, and in Win3.1 up through even 98SE, games were in an adjustment phase, and it was sometimes a challenge to get them to run at all. It was fun ... kinda ... but not nearly as much as counting the new gray hairs I get while my (now ancient) 533 mhz Dell boots up. It's a dinosaur, but worth keeping around for those games that don't recognize newer hardware (Audigy and USB joysticks come to mind). But while it 'might' run some of the newer titles, I'd have no right to expect it to, or to complain if it didn't. Not to mention that watching loading screens and hearing it straining while the graphics crawl across the screen would be torturing both of us. It wasn't built for that.

If the average computer user doesn't know what's in the machine he bought, or what those numbers mean, that I can forgive. I even understand impulse buying. But nowadays, if a game doesn't run the way I think it should, it isn't that hard to figure out why, especially if the developer played as fair as Obsidian did.

Elven6

Elven6

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 229 posts
I wasen't arguing it I stated why I thought I could get it to run and then I gave an example, those other members made such a big deal out of it.

Sand

Sand

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3735 posts
I don't do it often, Taks. I have a certain continuity that I need to maintain. :)

Deadly_Nightshade

Deadly_Nightshade

Vampire

• Members
  • 5133 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Your game version is: 1.03.840 English

Pinging: nwn2patch.obsidianent.com
Retrieving autopatcher version information
Connecting...nwn2patch.obsidianent.com
Downloading nwn2_pc_autopatch.txt
Retrieving game patch information
Downloading nwn2_pc_english.txt
Downloading nwn2_pc_english_from103840_to104860.txt
Latest Game Version Available: 1.04.860
Connecting...www.atari.com
Locate patch file nwn2_pc_english_from103840_to104860.zip
Downloading nwn2_pc_english_from103840_to104860.zip 38.9 MB
Done downloading.
Extracting files from: temp\nwn2_pc_english_from103840_to104860.zip
inflating: nwn2_pc_english_from103840_to104860.rtp
Copied file: nwn2_pc_english_from103840_to104860.rtp
Patching File Modules_Tutorial.mod
An incorrect version of the file was found on your system.
The update was unable to complete, since the file contents were incorrect.
C:\Program Files\Atari\Neverwinter Nights 2\Modules_Tutorial.mod
File Size: 42297160
File CheckSum: 091e3ee47cfb460adbe21c725fb58fc2

For assistance, please visit Atari's support web page.
http://www.atarisupport.com
The patch has been aborted

Ok, what's wrong with my copy of NWNII? :">

Pidesco

Pidesco

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 6542 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer
you'll have to reinstall it and then patch it. It probably means you opened that file in the toolset.

metadigital

metadigital

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 15352 posts
... Or did you apply the beta patch? :wacko:

Pidesco

Pidesco

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 6542 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer

... Or did you apply the beta patch? :wacko:

Apparently, this time you don't have to uninstall the beta patch before installing the final patch.

metadigital

metadigital

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 15352 posts
I'll believe that when I see it. :o"

Fionavar

Fionavar

Community Manager

• Global Moderators
  • 12680 posts

I can't get NWN2 to run on my brand new computer. It says that I don't have enough video memory for the card even though when I check dxdiag, I have 281 MB for my video card. Could it be Vista? Please help =(

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5929 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I can't get NWN2 to run on my brand new computer. It says that I don't have enough video memory for the card even though when I check dxdiag, I have 281 MB for my video card. Could it be Vista? Please help =(

Are you using an unsupported card? What card do you have?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users