NWN2: Technical Challenges

Fionavar

My friend complained to me that his game was crashing in one of the final battles. As he has a brand new system, with 4GB RAM and a E6700, I was dismayed ... until he mentioned that he never shuts down. (In other words, he has played the entire game without shutting down, whilst also simultaneously playing poker on an additional 30" monitor.)

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

yeah, that's a bit of a "duh" for most seasoned gamers. :)

heck, i make sure to reboot windows alone at least once a week, hehe. probably not nearly as necessary as it was with previous iterations of that virus, but one can never be too sure. linux rarely needs reboot. of course, linux isn't quite as "feature rich" either...

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Ok, I've got a good one for you. The game won't install.

About a third of the way through my installation, the following error comes up:

CRC error: The file C:\Program Files\Atari\Neverwinter Nights 2\Data\NWN2_Models.zip doesn't match the file in the setup's .cab file. The medium from which you are running the setup may be corrupted; contact your software vendor.

I have three options. 'Abort', which cancels the installation, 'Retry' which brings up the same error message again, and 'Ignore' which carries on the installation, but when I load the game, I see no models, just the interface and things like light sources and effects with a lot of dark space.

I'm not the only one with this problem. It seems to be mostly among owners of the European edition. I have tried:

Swapping my disk at the shop (same error with the new disk)

Copying the files from the DVD to my HD and installing from there (same error)

Updating my drivers, installation software etc. (no change)

Disabling all virus checkers, things that emulate, write, share or anything at all (not that I really have much in the way of these, and it didn't change anything anyway.)

My PC is less than 3 months old, has decent specs which are all well over what the game needs. I have not had any problems with my DVD drive in the past.

I can't install the patch because it stops when it tries to patch the Models file, complaining it's corrupted and the patching muct be aborted.

The only people who've managed to get the game working with this problem so far are people who have things like a spare DVD drive to connect up and install from.

I think that the Critical rebuild would fix this, but of course, it's not up yet.  I've been trying to fix this for two solid days now, it's pretty frustrating.

I'm facing exactly the same issue. Has anybody found a workaround? Thanks in advance for any help

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for everyone of my last question,

And now i have a new question for Nwn2.

my Nwn2 is play in v1.03

when it is running to  repair the silver sword of Gifh(i do not approve the sword's name)and fight with the Shadow Reaver.

i find it can't dead with my barrage,then i keep my attack to it for some time

the program of Nwn2 is shutdown by force.

did it a question of myself or it is the bug for Nwn2?

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

• 2 weeks later...
Have the DVD ROM copy of NWN2 and currently have it installed on my pc Problem is It will not let me play due to the fact I keep getting an error msgsaying it cannot find any compatible Direct 3D devices. I have the latest DirectX installed also. My video card is a  RAGE128 Pro Ultra GL AGP put out by Microsoft. Need 911 or any tech help that someone can give. I have also sent same info to the Atari tech support

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

hell no, that graphics card simply does not meet the minimum requirement of pixelshader 2.0. it doesn't even support hardware t&l, iirc it was a (unworthy) competitor of nvidias riva tnt and 3dfx's voodo 2 :)

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

• 2 weeks later...

My problem:

After about 5-10 minutes of playtime, it starts with my companions not following me. So I issue the area command "Follow Me" and it works.

Then I can't talk to anyone. I click on them, they turn to look at me but no dialog whatsoever.

Then, I get some missing 2D textures in menus and windows.

Finally I get a freeze, then a CTD.

Seems like a memory leak. Is this a known issue and can it be fixed?

I have patch 1.03 and my specs are:

P4 CPU 3.00GHz (2 CPUs)

Memory: 1022MB RAM

DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c

ATI FireGL V3100

Display Memory: 128.0 MB

Current Mode: 1280 x 1024 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Driver Version: 6.14.0010.6635 (English)

This is my working computer at the office, from which I play during my breaks. :ph34r:

Has it happened more than once? At the same place?

Did you reboot before you started? There might have been an application running in the background (or that left a vestige after closing) that clobbered NwN2.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Has it happened more than once? At the same place?

Did you reboot before you started? There might have been an application running in the background (or that left a vestige after closing) that clobbered NwN2.

It doesn't happen at the same place. It looks more like a timed event.

And it is not during an area load, unless you count ending a conversation an area load.

Since the last install/patch I rebooted as I always turn off the machine before leaving the office.

Also, if I save while the bug is running(no conversations + missing 2D textures) the save is corrupted.

I tried saving anyway because I remember having a similar problem in a KotOR that was solvable by saving and reloading.

Edited by astr0creep

I meant reboot before you start the game. :aiee:

It would be good to see if you get the same symptoms from a clean start ... you could also take a look at what services the work computer is loading on startup, too, as they may be doing odd things (and chewing up resources).

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Also, if I save while the bug is running(no conversations + missing 2D textures) the save is corrupted.

I tried saving anyway because I remember having a similar problem in a KotOR that was solvable by saving and reloading.

Are you using the hi-res textures?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Nope. Unless some are included in the 1.03 patch.

The GFX card on the computer I'm using could be the problem but it never gave me any problem before. I don't think it has all the features of normal gaming card like shaders and stuff.

But I can still run Oblivion and pretty mcuh everything else. I don't know, it's wierd.

Nope. Unless some are included in the 1.03 patch.

The GFX card on the computer I'm using could be the problem but it never gave me any problem before. I don't think it has all the features of normal gaming card like shaders and stuff.

But I can still run Oblivion and pretty mcuh everything else. I don't know, it's wierd.

It was just because you mentioned that it ruined your saved games. I remember someone, although not exactly who, hinted at a link between the corrupt save feature and running with highres textures :blink:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

It was just because you mentioned that it ruined your saved games. I remember someone, although not exactly who, hinted at a link between the corrupt save feature and running with highres textures  :(

That would be me. For me (and others who got the same bug) the game would crash on area transitions involving an autosave (in my case from Blacklake only, but I've seen others). The crash would occur while the game was saving so the old save in that slot would be deleted and no new one replace it. It also caused the second last save you made to be corrupted. With three save slots I think it could be worked around, or one could just turn Hi Res textures off.

I haven't had this problem since I installed patch 1.03, but I have only just gotten to Blacklake again, so who knows. Having Hi Res textures on makes the game look so much better though (and with very little performance hit) so it's worth the risk.

I never experienced missing textures or anything like that though, so it doesn't seem to be the same problem.