NWN2: Technical Challenges

Fionavar

Apparently, plot critical cutscenes can fail to trigger if the acting character is affected by Confusion. Other mind affecting spells might also cause similar problems.

This can easily be experienced during the

Githyanki ambush in Ember while the party is searching for Shandra.

In my case,

Bishop

got confused and his second cutscene failed to trigger so I had to reload an earlier save.

This would be a different bug than the one where you were not controlling your main character when the cutscene tried to trigger? Can't say I've ever had that version happen to me however I've usually got several dispel magics on hand to counter anything like that. :lol:)

This would be a different bug than the one where you were not controlling your main character when the cutscene tried to trigger? Can't say I've ever had that version happen to me however I've usually got several dispel magics on hand to counter anything like that. :mellow:)

It's a different bug. I'm sure of it because both times it occurred while I was controlling my protagonist. I hope they fix this in the upcoming 1.03 patch.

If the main character is wearing plate armor (I have Enkidu's at the moment) and takes his helmet off, the game will show a default full helmet on his head even though he's no longer wearing a helmet. This occured during the trial when the game unequipped his weapon, shield and magical hat. He stood around in a full helm until I could put his hat back on. Taking the hat off reproduced the glitch.

It's a cosmetic glitch, but ugly, and not what the trial script was intending to have happen (no hat/helm, no weapons).

It got really choppy last night... Its annoying, I cranked all the video settings down to as low as it would go, and was getting 18 fps. Thats just not right. 18 fps is what I should be getting with everything cranked during a battle.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I would love to get 18fps at all times. :(

Just got myself a Radeon X800XT, which should be very very good. For only about $150US.

On nwn2news, I read a statement by JE where he said that Obsidian didnt want the power attack button to turn on right away because power attack would not turn on until the end of the round, so that would be giving wrong information to the user. They were considering adding it to the queue instead.

I think that the best solution is to have two colors for the power attack button. Currently, it flashes yellow when turned on. Obsidian could let the button flash green (or whatever colour they choose) when clicked and then yellow when it actually starts working.

Is this possible?

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

Deraldin, it'll take a few days to be delivered I think. But yes I will. I got good feedback on the forums here while looking for a card, so it's only right. :p

Anyway, with ze power attack, since it was moved here.

In displays there is no problem even now, without the queue, because it flashes to show you that its' been enabled, then the float text tells you when exactly it turns on (i.e. end of round). Should be no problems. The only issue is when it is bugged and doesn't turn on even at the end of the round, or deactivates all the time. I hardly use power attack or defensive casting and they seem to work fine most of the time for me, see, so I have no problems whatsoever.

I think it's more of a bugfix issue.

This would be a different bug than the one where you were not controlling your main character when the cutscene tried to trigger? Can't say I've ever had that version happen to me however I've usually got several dispel magics on hand to counter anything like that. :thumbsup:)

It's a different bug. I'm sure of it because both times it occurred while I was controlling my protagonist. I hope they fix this in the upcoming 1.03 patch.

Did you report it in some way?

If the main character is wearing plate armor (I have Enkidu's at the moment) and takes his helmet off, the game will show a default full helmet on his head even though he's no longer wearing a helmet. This occured during the trial when the game unequipped his weapon, shield and magical hat. He stood around in a full helm until I could put his hat back on. Taking the hat off reproduced the glitch.

Had this one happen to me as well. Kind of weird, I wonder why didn't they just use the KotOR workaround where headgear and weapons are simply not drawn during cutscenes, without being actually physically removed from the characters.

Did you report it in some way?

Umm, yes... here? :D But, if you mean if I've officially submitted it somewhere than no, though I suppose I could send an email to: nwn2bugs@obsidian.net

Whoa. Had a bit of a thrill last night after a CTD during a quicksave. I couldn't go into Blacklake district at all, from anywhere anymore, without repeating the CTD. I panicked about being doomed to Luskan justice just before I finally got my prestige class, reinstalled and repatched... and that wasn't it--it was the savegame and every save after it. Maybe just a burp, but wise man say don't get cheap and lazy with saves (I was lucky I only had to go back to Port Llast).

Truthfully, I haven't had that many crashes. Mostly of the issues I've noticed are in the mildly annoying category, right now artificial unintelligence being most prominent. (But in my mind, Rosalind in Summoner still holds the crown on that one.) I chose to become an Eldritch Knight, and for some reason that class doesn't seem to level right (?), there's a glitch in there somewhere I suspect. But I'm loving the characters and the PST references too much to worry about it. The corrupted savegame, yeah, that would've sent me back to Oblivion, if it was my only.

I didn't find any other place to write it on this forum.

So the problem is that after login using the NWN2 client to the server everything is fine and quiet until the client opens up his Character Sheet. Then no matter if he closes it, server keeps sending the client updates, very fast. It is easily reproducible, just open the character sheet, close it, and look at the traffic. Identical packets are being sent. That can cause a lot of wasted traffic. Small calculations give 50 bytes per packet * 5 times a sec * 64 player = 150kbit/sec of wasted bandwidth with 64 players online going nothing. The version of the server is 1.01. Excuse me if it was already fixed in 1.02.

Thanks.

The universe is change;
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

Save game corruption, CTDs...  Who did QA on this beast?  :lol:

You know, it's not always QA's fault, sometimes it's just the machines setup was never tested...

Having fun with (I suspect) memory-related crashes on my (1GB) laptop at the moment:

post-7008-1164640650_thumb.jpg

Here's one of those generic ore tiles, too ... :o"

post-7008-1164640739_thumb.jpg

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

It's a cosmetic glitch, but ugly, and not what the trial script was intending to have happen (no hat/helm, no weapons).

Some armor have helms set in the armor properties, which change when you put on equipment of that type. So a helm will be set in the armor properties so if you wear that armor and no helm, a helm still shows. But if you put a helm on, your helm changes to that one. Maybe you had the helm on already, then put on an armor with a preset helm.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I'm not used to games showing a helm when none is equipped in the helm slot. Whoever did that for NWN2 should visit a doctor.

I was wearing Enkidu's full plate when I first had this occur. The trial script took off my character's swashbuckler hat and unequipped his weapon and shield. But since he was apparently wearing an armor with a helm flag set, he had this ugly full helm on his head the whole time during the trial. Now he's wearing a different full plate and still ends up with the same ugly full helm every time he takes his 'real' helm (swashbuckler hat) off.

@Metadigital, those generic names show up for at least a few of the ore deposits. It's somewhat distracting.

Edited by Wistrik

Thanks. I'm already aware of much of what he says, but there were a few tidbits I hadn't yet turned my attention to.

His claim that running the AMD executable didn't improve performance was correct only since 1.03 beta. Previous to the patch I got about 20% better FPS by running that EXE instead of the default.

I agree with him about soft shadows. I took a look around my house and decided most shadows have a very distinct outline, so I turned it off.

His AA screenshots weren't very demonstrative. Closeups of the party characters or other objects would have shown more detail. Bloom alone doesn't help much, as that's what I used prior to the patch. Now with 4xAA NPC outlines look much smoother, which is a plus when I'm stuck (for now) running this hog at 1024x768 on a 21" screen.

Water effects only help if you're studying the water closely, which I never feel like doing for some reason. I don't know why, but this game's graphics just don't do it for me the way NWN's graphics did. Maybe it's because the range of colors in most areas tends to be very small. Inside Daeghun's house there is a lot of brown/gray, outside there's lots of green/tan. Nothing really contrasts like real life.

Save game corruption, CTDs...  Who did QA on this beast?  :p

You know, it's not always QA's fault, sometimes it's just the machines setup was never tested...

Having fun with (I suspect) memory-related crashes on my (1GB) laptop at the moment:

post-7008-1164640650_thumb.jpg

Here's one of those generic ore tiles, too ... :p"

post-7008-1164640739_thumb.jpg

Stoneskin FTW!1 :)

--

Anyone else found that spears become bugged after returning after the

attack on Nasher's castele

. I'm thinking it might have something to do with the knight cloak Nevale gives you.

It messes the character animations completely - it makes you stand with your arms out wide like a statue. Oh, an either your legs stop moving and you "glide" everywhere, or your legs don't stop moving and you "run" while standing in place. I'll post screenshots later.

manthing2.jpg

The OE support-page states that NWN2 patches "provide you with an opportunity to give us feedback and to identify issues with patches before they are released." I haven't seen any threads on this, so I thought maybe I should start one. Maybe people could scribble down their (realistic) wishes for new patches here.

I just installed the 1.03 beta patch, and I was wondering if a few things could be changed:

1) Free cam. You used to be able to rotate the camera, and zoom in and out in the free-cam mode. This has changed after I installed the beta-patch. I mainly use the free-cam mode, and now I can't rotate the camera with mouse or keyboard anymore, just move it n-s-e-w. I've tried all keys. Is it be possible to change this so that I could *move* the camera n-s-e-w with the mouse, by going to the edges of the screen, and *rotate* the camera using the left- and right-keys? Then I'd have both freedom to move and ability to rotate.

2) Zooming. When I walk down the road from the plateau in the Blacklake district, the camera doesn't follow, so I'm zoomed further "out" than usual. Could this be added as a permanent option, so that when I zoom using the arrow-keys, I'll be zoomed this far out wherever I am? I'd like to zoom further out.

3) Locking the camera. Whenever I've fiddled with the camera for a min or two, and I've found the right angle/zoom, it's reset the moment I enter or leave an area. This is really annoying, since I have to re-adjust the camera every... single... time... I enter a room/area/zone. Could this be fixed please?

I hope someone will hear my pleas..  :lol:  :)

Feel free to add your concerns and wishes for new patches..

J.

The universe is change;
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

Have anyone else encountered areas that are prone to chrashes?

Githyanki Lair at Merchant Quarter is my chrash prone area. One, two fights tops, and the game chrashes. It simply stops. Sometimes I succeed coming back by going to desktop and back and then it runs again, but that

Edited by kirottu

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Have anyone else encountered areas that are prone to chrashes?

Githyanki Lair at Merchant Quarter is my chrash prone area. One, two fights tops, and the game chrashes. It simply stops. Sometimes I succeed coming back by going to desktop and back and then it runs again, but that