NWN2: Technical Challenges

Fionavar

Yes. But, I'm not the one who amde two different bug threads. Anyways, the problem was solvbed. Still ahorrible bug. Had to use normal dififuclty mode for 20 seconds. Boooo!!!

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

btw, i've kicked it up to high textures and, as it seems others have noticed, there is no noticeable dip in frame-rate. so now i'm running high textures, no bloom, no water, no shadows, linear filtering for every option, and i'm getting 30 or so fps inside and 50+ outside at 1024x768 (85 Hz refresh). of course, it drops below that when there are a ton of CPU sucking AI scripts running about. heavy spell battles also impact performance as well as weather effects (i.e. snow in seasons puzzle).

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Hi , lookinf for a little help here .. im not by far a know all on computer type stuff but i cant seem to get nwn2 to start.. ive reinstalled the whole thing twice and i keep getting a direct X problem ?

" could not find any compatible direct 3D devices "

never had anything like this b4, i ran the patcher for the game and still cant seem to fix this .. any ideas plz? :unsure:

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

So I was told at BioWare and Atari to come here and see in any diffrent support occured...

The Disk will not detect in my DVD/CD RW drive, all specs and requirements for game play are up to date and met. When put into the drive it just spins for awhile and then nothing, when manualy selected the drive says there is no disk in there.

I need support or a method by which I can download the game whith a valid retail KEY code.

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

Hi , lookinf for a little help here .. im not by far a know all on computer type stuff but i cant seem to get nwn2 to start.. ive reinstalled the whole thing twice and i keep getting a direct X problem ?

" could not find any compatible direct 3D devices "

never had anything like this b4, i ran the patcher for the game and still cant seem to fix this .. any ideas plz? :unsure:

sounds like this guy does not have a supported vid card, or he does not have directx updated.

taks

So I was told at BioWare and Atari to come here and see in any diffrent support occured...

The Disk will not detect in my DVD/CD RW drive, all specs and requirements for game play are up to date and met. When put into the drive it just spins for awhile and then nothing, when manualy selected the drive says there is no disk in there.

I need support or a method by which I can download the game whith a valid retail KEY code.

it is not uncommon for game CDs to be unrecognized by a CD player. i'd recommend taking the game back to the store and getting another copy. if that doesn't help, then try another CD player. this problem is typically worse with CD R/W drives, from what i've seen. another option is to get one of those drive cleaners as his read head may be dirty enough to cause problems with some mass produced disks.

taks

Also, obviously, firmware upgrades.

I have the Toolset crashing problem like many other people do on the bioboards; the suggested fixes so far are different display drivers, .net framework reinstall, directx reinstall, and some .dll switchings. Nothing works.

Using Process Monitor I discovered that the last series of actions the toolsetlauncher.exe takes before initiating crash/debug processes are that it looks for something called mscorlib.resources.exe, or something in a mscorlib.resources folder. It sounds to mel ike a .net framework file (it access mscorwks fine); but such a file or folder is not present anywhere on my computer, even after installing.net framework 2 and its SDK.

To Oerwinde and any others that have the toolset working; are you able to locate such a file anywhere, specifically in C:/Windows/Microsoft.net/framework/v2.0....?

I would also be very interested in seeing a process monitor (available here) log of the toolset opening for someone that CAN run it, but that might be too much of a bother.

Thanks.

The tool set works fine for me.

I don't have a mscorlib.resources.exe or a "mscorlib.resources" folder. The closest I have is mscorlib.dll located in "C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727" and another one located in "C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322".

When I started it up while using the process monitor it did not try to access anything related to mscorlib.resources. The tool set version is 1.0.807.0

The log file is about 10MB uncompressed, so it's a little unwieldy to try posting here.

See, that's odd. I've tried with 1.00, 1.01 and 1.02 now, and in all instances it attempts to refer to mscorlib.resources before crashing.

I too have a mscorlib.dll, and this doesn't seem to help.

Gonna try to disguise that .dll as the mscorlib.resources.exe, but somehow I doubt it'll work.

edit: nope, such a disguise shows 'success' in toolset trying to do stuff with the .exe, but it still crashes at the same juncture. :crazy:

Gogo obsidian!

Edited by Tigranes

It's because of HDR, apparently.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

The "current" generation cards from both ATi (X1K) and Nvidia (GF8) are able to perform MSAA on either FP8 or FP16 render paths. The GF8 is new, but the X1K has been available for well over a year and has been capable of the so-called "HDR+AA". I can imagine that when Obsidian started work on the engine, none of the then-available GPUs were capable of HDR+AA, but I doubt Obsidian would have made such a short-sighted design decision.

I believe UE3 also doesn't play MSAA, but that has something to do with its supposedly uber deferred-shadowing algorithms.

It's one reason I want to move up to NVidia's 8800GTX. It has the option to 'force' FSAA (and other features) on applications that don't use it by intercepting the data and applying the necessary changes. Really, really fast, of course.

8800 HDR + AA works for Oblivion, but it did not work with NWN 2.

I'm having a minor problem with the skin colour for warlocks (who have those initial clothes that show bits of the character's body). The problem is that the body's skin colour doesn't match the head's skin colour. This is only a problem for some colours, though. Regular Caucasian works fine, for example.

A couple of examples are attached.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I have to stop playing NWN2 until SecuROM fixes the issue with their copy protection which prevents me from playing the game with original media in place. :angry:

It worked before btw, after reboot it just stopped authenticating the disc correctly (no I don't have any emulation software and my DVD-RW drive is new).

I will use a No-CD crack for NWN2 as soon as one is available.

Just out of sheer principle.

Apparently, plot critical cutscenes can fail to trigger if the acting character is affected by Confusion. Other mind affecting spells might also cause similar problems.

This can easily be experienced during the

Githyanki ambush in Ember while the party is searching for Shandra.

In my case,

Bishop

got confused and his second cutscene failed to trigger so I had to reload an earlier save.