NWN2: Technical Challenges

Fionavar

You can save 5 skillpoints between levels.

I did some re-checking and confirmed this. Thanks for the heads-up! Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Game Manual note/concern:

As mentioned, you can save no more than five skill points at character creation and later at each level-up. This is stated on page 31 of the game manual where skill assignment at character generation is discussed, however it is not stated in the level-up summary on page 23 where the issue of saving skill points is specifically mentioned twice, once in a D&D tip. I'd stopped reading at page 23 thinking I'd found an accurate summary. Oops. For consistency it would have been nice if the five point limit had been mentioned on page 23 as well.

"Could Not Load Module" Every time I try and join any Multiplayer game....

Nothing I can do seems to fix this problem... I can create a character, the the game loads and crashed me back to the main menu with the error...

Get this...NWN 2 runs nearly perfectly with everything else enabled, except shadows....and using the amd .exe rather than the normal one. The normal one runs like crap no matter what I do.

I have an intel chipset. What the hell?

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

there's a separate EXE for AMD? i wonder if mine is automatically using that (particularly since i have the AMD64)?

sorry philwolf, not sure what your issue is then. you have 60 GB FREE? or just 60 GB? also, is this 60 GB on a separate drive? i believe it needs to be FREE on the drive you have winders installed on, generally C:\. apparently it unzips onto C before patching, even if you're installed on another drive.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

hi taks,

no i have a 60GB FREE space, but the thing is when i try to update it try to update to nwn 1.03 and middle of the update it abbort the update and gives me a critical error of windows xp home that the files can't be found on the different servers it is looking at like the www.atari.com or the vnfiles.ign.com or the downloads.warcry.com

http://nwn2.obsidian.net/support/patch_english.html

but on that site it seems the updates aren't ready at all to upgrade if i can believe what the say

Philwolf

hi taks,

no i have a 60GB FREE space, but the thing is when i try to update it try to update to nwn 1.03 and middle of the update it abbort the update and gives me a critical error of windows xp home that the files can't be found on the different servers it is looking at like the www.atari.com or the vnfiles.ign.com or the downloads.warcry.com

http://nwn2.obsidian.net/support/patch_english.html

but on that site it seems the updates aren't ready at all to upgrade if i can believe what the say

Philwolf

1.03? do you mean 1.01? only one patch has been released that i know of, and it takes you to 1.01, i thought (i could be wrong, since i'm not at home to check). are you trying to run the updater a 2nd time after the first update? or just failing on update immediately after install?

taks

It's said 'shortly' for over three days now. Welcome to the 'I'm waiting for the critical rebuild' club. You are member number five thousand-and-something. Have a badge. (w00t)

so far, the only solution to this i've seen is freeing up space. i got the same "critical rebuild" error before i had cleared out enough space to make the patch updater work. i.e. the updater could not find the unzipped file, which was not unzipped because of a lack of space, and simply assumed that the file was missing and therefore i should do a critical rebuild. i think it worked similarly for NWN1, but there wasn't a 7 GB requirement with that one... ugh is all i can say. sorry dude.

taks

I found that I get better performance if I run NWN2MAIN_AMDXP.EXE, however this executable isn't the one used by default. To make it that way, back it up to a safe place, then rename NWN2MAIN.exe to NWN2MAIN_ORIGINAL.EXE and rename NWN2MAIN_AMDXP.EXE to NWN2MAIN.EXE. Then start the game using your usual shortcut.

If the game is supposed to select the EXE on it's own, it's not doing a very good job. I'm running an AMD processor on Windows XP Pro and Task Manager consistently reported that the game was loading NWNMAIN.EXE rather than the AMDXP version.

My performance increase was only on the order of 5-10 FPS, but every little bit helps with this game.

hi taks,

no my game is still the 1.00 version and when i want to update the bloody thing in the left below corner it gives me "nwn 1.03" but no matter what it says it dosn't do an update. It starts to update and get the 82.7mb thing and give me 100% and then it starts to update a second part what is aborded after 2% giving me a critical error of windows xp. When i look to that error it says that it couldn't update because the original file (vnfiles.ign.com or downloads.warcry.com don't have that update file to download) so all is aborted.

Like many of us i can play the singleplayers mode but not join any server online..... i'm realy already have a bad feeling that i buyed me that game (also had to buy a new videocard, some ram and a new processor to run nwn2) to find out it isn't working and we get **** reactions of the official side.

The only thing what i know is that the official side reacted "WE ARE BUSY TO FIX IT" .... well let us hope it is because after a week of game release it should be fixed already. :dragon:

and for all the gamers who try to resolve this by putting all kind of links... euh, i tried so much of these links but nothing seems to help me resolve the problem, anyway thank you for that because you are doing more then the officials.

Philwolf

sorry dude. it is behaving the same way it behaves when you don't have enough free space. have you tried defragging your drive? maybe it needs contiguous space? dunno...

taks

Apart from one crash, the only problem I've encountered so far, is that the sound is suffering from slight hitching. It appears to be random, and not related to the game's graphical performance. My sound card is an old Sound Blaster Live 1024, so that could be the problem. Also, it has happened, both with EAX on and EAX off. That last sentence reminded me of Karate Kid.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Has anybody had a problem with losing inventory items, if the char picking them up has a full pack? My oldest (D&D fangirl) said she had to reload/redo when a quest item disappeared off the face of the earth. I haven't got that far in my game (yah, I was a dollar short, LOL) so I can't try to recreate to test it; and if somebody mentioned this, I missed it. It might've been an actual fluke, or maybe her char just put it where the sun doesn't shine. But here's what she said:

I was in the Troll Cave in the Old Owl well area, where you get the explosives. I think it was the...Bouldergnash map or something to that effect.

I just made sure my inventory had space, restored, and then it went in because I had room. If you loot something and don't have room in your inventory then it simply disappears. There is no message or anything, but its recorded that you looted it.

BTW, from what I've seen so far, the Obs guys have a solid hit on their hands. *claps*

Haven't had that happen to me with quest items that are given to you. I've occasionally tried to loot a corpse while I had a full inventory, but everytime I've done that they items in question just end up back on the corpse.

Did the item possibly drop to the ground or get passed on to another character? :ermm:

Edited by Deraldin

She said not. I'll see what happens when I get there, maybe I can re-create it. But in any case, it would be nice to have a message pop up, in case you're a forgetful packrat (like me :( ). And I don't always stop to make sure all of the items I picked up are actually there, which could turn out to be a bad thing with a save-over.

Just sayin'.

Minor issues aside, any game that can pull the kid off the Warcraft-go-round has my thanks and my $. Story and character FTW. HA! :ph34r: :rolleyes:

It might be due to script or dialog, since that particular chest has a special cinematic tied to it. If Neeshka's in the party she'll demand half of the loot, and through dialog you're given the option of trying to identify the items, taking them, or walking away. If you walk away, you can return and open the chest like normal. If you take the items via dialog the transfer is done by script rather than by the engine's usual inventory transfer; this may be the cause of them disappearing into thin air due to a full inventory.

Edited by Wistrik

I believe I've found a crash bug...

When a merchant first opens his shop display, nothing is selected. If you press the Buy button without selecting anything, the game will crash to the desktop.

This happened while running the NWNMAIN_AMDXP.EXE file, which I had renamed to NWNMAIN.EXE because it gets better performance on my AMD machine than the default NWNMAIN.EXE does.

btw, i've moved the amdxp executable over to main as well. no differences yet, but i have not played much since doing so. i'll report when i get a chance. based on my workload between linear algebra and research proposal, that won't be soon... i have no time for sanity anymore.

taks

Heh. Since this is the 'NWN2 Technical Challenges' thread, I might as well repeat myself. LOL

temple of Seasons was bugged for me. I was able to unlock the North Door in the Winter Room and grab the statue for the cermeony. The other doors are locked with no way to bypass them. The Winter Challenge tm (pedestal book) claims I completed its task; but I did no such thing (unless unlocking the door was its task, R00lfes!).

Anyone else suffer the inhumanity of this!?!

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

yes. i did the winter challenge and inadvertantly picked the lock on the door. once i did that, the spring challenge said i was done. i would imagine that picking the lock, or opening the door in particular, is what signaled "done" for the challenges. that coupled with the carnage solution i chose for all the other areas is why i'm restarting the map.

taks

Oh btw, The bugs keep on coming! Now, I got a major one when dealing with the Lizardfolk Chief in ch3. After beating it; it says "Do as you wish" and my only option is to press continue. After that, it no longer talks, and I am absolutely TRAPPED in a small area. R00fles! Reloading doens't help! HAHAHAHAHAHA!

And, here I thought NWN2 was a a relativley unbuggy game. Oops... That's two major bugs found in the last 24 hours including one game ender. I'll have to avoid that entire area now which means I'll likely lose potential allies. YAHOO!!!!!

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Oh btw, The bugs keep on coming! Now, I got a major one when dealing with the Lizardfolk Chief in ch3. After beating it; it says "Do as you wish" and my only option is to press continue. After that, it no longer talks, and I am absolutely TRAPPED in a small area. R00fles! Reloading doens't help! HAHAHAHAHAHA!

And, here I thought NWN2 was a a relativley unbuggy game. Oops... That's two major bugs found in the last 24 hours including one game ender. I'll have to avoid that entire area now which means I'll likely lose potential allies. YAHOO!!!!!

Didn't we already cover this one in another thread? :)