NWN2: Technical Challenges

Fionavar

Hi,

I just bought this game today and couldnt wait to get home to try it out. I've formerly played some of your games and was looking forward to a nice weekend of gaming.

Now to the problem. I installed the game, downloaded the latest patch through your downloading manager thing (version 1.01 nordic, gb? version of the game). All that went without any problems. So I thought I'd reboot my computer after the update just in case. When I got back into WinXP, I started the game with the desktop icon, pressed play game and waited. The screen went black and the DVD-ROM started buzzing a bit. After a little while, well something like 5-10secs, the DVD-ROM stopped making any noise. The screen was still black though and continued to stay so for several minutes. I lost my patience and pressed ctrl-alt-del. As i thought the game stopped responding.

I looked at some forums and found out that maybe it was my firewall and/or antivirus which was the cause. Stopped both and tried again, same thing happened. So I thought maybe it was my display drivers which were bugging, downloaded the latest from the manufacturers website(which is an older version than those I was using.) and tried again. Same result.

So I was hoping someone here could help me out, I've waited a good while for this game and I was really looking forward to spending some time in the land of D&D.

My computer is a Zepto Znote 6214W (Notebook) http://www.zepto.dk. Specs are following: Intel Core2Duo T7200@2Ghz, 2GB Kingston 667Mhz Ram, nVidia 7600 Go 512MB.

Thanks.

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

Hi Devs (hopefully),

with many others http://nwn2forums.bioware.com/forums/viewt...07078&forum=116, i have a problem. The popup window informing you that your video card has less than 128MB which may impair performance closes the main process if ok is clicked. Some have the problem with 128 MB dedicated or better cards, all are pixelshader 2.0.  :blink:  :ermm:

So, a simple popup info closed shuts down the whole process. Perhaps because both warning and game window have the same name in task manager ? Anyways, please change the popup handler code in the main exe or give us a workaround (e.g. explaining how registry and $username$/own files/neverwinter nights 2 have to be set up in order to avoid autodetect). Or just tell us you are working on it or something... :thumbsup:

Sajin

The universe is change;
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

Hi all,

Like many of us i buyed the game today 03/11/06 (release today in belgium) and installed the game.  When i started it up it asked me if i wanted to run the updates.

The first one run without any truble but in the middle of the second one i get some errormessage from windows telling me the updates can't be dawnloaded and it close my gamescreen, that means i can't join any server to play the game, only the single player modes work.

Dunno if someone can put me a link here on the site so i can try to dawnload the update from some other site and not direct from my updatebutton of the game.

Philwolf

The universe is change;
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

OK, heres my problem:

The updater fails to work and gives me an error of "Internet is not connected or patch server is down". I know its not the former so it must be the latter. Trying to navigate directly to the download page provides a link to an FTP site that doesnt have jack on it, so I dont know whats up with that or how Im going to get the patch.

How does one update the game without the game EXE? :lol:

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

hmmm,

not even a single official reaction.... :lol:

personaly i find this a lack of respect to all gamers who buyed the game and are stucked in the single players mode and not able to join any server. :p

I payed arround 50 euro's for a single mode game...... and seriously hope one day we all will be able to join the servers arround.

Maybe it should have be simpler to release the game one month later to fix all buggs before selling this game.

Not sure who to blame but ... realy it sucks :wacko:

Philwolf

My problem was solved! If any of you are having the same patch update problem as me, go here. You will find patch links for English, French, Italian and German.

Thanks Gfted1! Hopefully this will hellp others.

The universe is change;
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

Those who try to run this game on a widescreen monitor may experience a mouse pointer glitch like I did. The glitch didn't manifest when switching between non-widescreen video resolutions. I'll explain the glitch and how I solved it.

I switched to 1680x1050 (my screen's max resolution). Suddenly my mouse pointer didn't line up with button hotspots. In other words, to click a button I'd either have to move the mouse two inches below the button or two inches to the right of it in order to click it.

The fix is to ALT-TAB, minimizing the game, then return to the game. The screen will re-render and the mouse pointer glitch will be gone.

This glitch only manifests when switching from a non-widescreen mode to widescreen, not when going the other way.

Update: This is caused when NVidia's flat-panel scaling is activated. Apparently it conflicts with the game's own scaling and causes the mouse pointer to behave strangely.

Edited by Wistrik

It is stated twice on page 23 in the manual that, unlike in D&D, you don't have to spend skill points when leveling up, but can save them for later use. This is not true in NWN2 (it was for NWN); NWN2 won't activate the NEXT button until skill points are spent.

The readme containing last-minute manual corrections does not modify this text.

It is stated twice on page 23 in the manual that, unlike in D&D, you don't have to spend skill points when leveling up, but can save them for later use. This is not true in NWN2 (it was for NWN); NWN2 won't activate the NEXT button until skill points are spent.

Are you sure you can't save them? Or is it just that you can't save all of them? I know there has been at least once where I have missed increasing one skill on level up only to discover it at the next level. :geek:

I had two problems. I'll post them with solutions so that people who experience similar problems know what to do about them.

1. I couldn't get 5.1 sound to work and the game would configure my speaker settings to 2.1 whenever i started it. Solution: go to nwn.ini and modify value of Speaker Type to 4.

2. Shadows flicker horribly with certain ATI video cards. My card is 1950 XTX and other 1900 XTX users had the same complaint on NWN2 boards. Current solution: None other than turning off shadows :*

hi all,

for me still no updates for my nwn2.

Every time i try to update it crashes after updating some.

i have in the up left corner the nwn2 1.00 version and it's trying to update to the 1.02 version but not seems to work

every time i get a critical fault of windows xp that the update couldn't be dawnloaded, i need the english version......

is there some link where i can dawnload it manualy???

please someone help me with that

Philwolf

Try

My problem was solved! If any of you are having the same patch update problem as me, go here. You will find patch links for English, French, Italian and German.

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

i disagree. i do this every time w/out a hitch.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

hi all,

for me still no updates for my nwn2.

Every time i try to update it crashes after updating some.

i have in the up left corner the nwn2 1.00 version and it's trying to update to the 1.02 version but not seems to work

every time i get a critical fault of windows xp that the update couldn't be dawnloaded, i need the english version......

is there some link where i can dawnload it manualy???

please someone help me with that

Philwolf

this sounds like the issue with not enough space on your drive. you absolutely NEED 7 (that's SEVEN) Giga Bytes of room, else the updater will crash (well, it just quits). it will not tell you it didn't have enough space, instead, it will say "file not found" and quit. the file was not found because it was a zip file that did not have enough room to unzip, so it didn't unzip.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Ok, I've got a good one for you. The game won't install.

About a third of the way through my installation, the following error comes up:

CRC error: The file C:\Program Files\Atari\Neverwinter Nights 2\Data\NWN2_Models.zip doesn't match the file in the setup's .cab file. The medium from which you are running the setup may be corrupted; contact your software vendor.

I have three options. 'Abort', which cancels the installation, 'Retry' which brings up the same error message again, and 'Ignore' which carries on the installation, but when I load the game, I see no models, just the interface and things like light sources and effects with a lot of dark space.

I'm not the only one with this problem. It seems to be mostly among owners of the European edition. I have tried:

Swapping my disk at the shop (same error with the new disk)

Copying the files from the DVD to my HD and installing from there (same error)

Updating my drivers, installation software etc. (no change)

Disabling all virus checkers, things that emulate, write, share or anything at all (not that I really have much in the way of these, and it didn't change anything anyway.)

My PC is less than 3 months old, has decent specs which are all well over what the game needs. I have not had any problems with my DVD drive in the past.

I can't install the patch because it stops when it tries to patch the Models file, complaining it's corrupted and the patching muct be aborted.

The only people who've managed to get the game working with this problem so far are people who have things like a spare DVD drive to connect up and install from.

I think that the Critical rebuild would fix this, but of course, it's not up yet. I've been trying to fix this for two solid days now, it's pretty frustrating.