First Dragon Age infos revealed!

Morgoth

Click here! No here!

- The story is dark-much darker than the usual BioWare fare-and influenced by "realistic" modern fantasy like George R. R. Martin's A Game of Thrones.

- The game uses an evolved "tactical real-time combat" style of Baldur's Gate, only in 3D-you queue up orders for multiple party members, pause the game when you need to think, and your party members will be able to execute coordinated attacks.

- Large-scale creature combat will have your characters doing stuff like ducking between legs and jumping on backs of monsters (dare we say dragons?).

- Even though Dragon Age isn't a D&D game, per se, BioWare is sticking close to those roots with the class and rules systems.

- The game uses a "modified" version of the Mass Effect conversation system we're all so keen on.

- Depending on the type of character you choose, the game offers multiple different "origin stories"-meaning the first few hours of the game will be totally different depending on which character archetype you choose.

- The game's actually coming out in late 2007 or early 2008.

- Bono makes a surprisingly good mentor.

There's also a first screenshot, which doesn't look too impressive. But whatever.

IT'S ALIVE!

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

- Large-scale creature combat will have your characters doing stuff like ducking between legs and jumping on backs of monsters (dare we say dragons?).

How the hell would that work with DnD style, stat based combat?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Also, CGW has apparently become Microsoft's bitch, :) and Bioware has developed a mysterious game called Neverwinter Knights.

Heja Sverige!!

Preview says very little of substance, but I'm starting to get worried. Saying that the game uses the Mass Effect style of conversation is another way of saying that it's going to have a lot of one-liners and short replies, which I thought was implemented due to the console-controls of ME but apparently Bio is moving towards that direction in general.

Also, the combat system, despite the attempt to link to BG, is very much KOTORish, and while KOTORish combat isn't bad it went hand in hand with the simplicity of that game. Here's to hoping they'll innovate ontop of what's already there.

Large-scale creature fights sound good, though it's odd they're hyping that aspect of the game.

Darker story sounds good, though what that means is anyone's guess.

Surprisingly little was said of the game's roleplaying features and NPCs. If they're going to hype a RPG, I'd have thought that this would be where they start...

Game coming out in late 2007/early 2008 indicates that its hype storm should hit next summer, so maybe the game's still in an early stage. I hope so, for the graphics aren't exactly spectacular and will be less so next year, especially if we compare it to Mass Effect.

Edited by Azarkon

There are doors

How the hell would that work with DnD style, stat based combat?

It can be done in PnP.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Surprisingly little was said of the game's roleplaying features

Considering we're talking about Bioware I don't find that too surprising.

The suggested simplistic nature of the game's several elements isn't much of a problem... Unless they plan on touting it as yet another revolutionary and deep roleplaying experience in the lines of great groundbreaking classics such as... You get the picture.

It may sound stupid but gigantic creature battles is something I'm keen on. We don't get to see it often in western themed CRPGs, or games period, in the same scale as japanese games. Targetting multiple body parts or engaging in something in the style of Shadow of the Colossus is something that I'd enjoy watching being used in the overly formulaic nature of CRPG combat.

Finally some info! Well, except Volourn will still claim there's been lots of info on the public boards that are just as good as official press releases!!1

Doesn't sound too promising for my tastes, but it's good to hear that they didn't can their one, big PC project.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

"Finally some info! Well, except Volourn will still claim there's been lots of info on the public boards that are just as good as official press releases!!1"

and vol would be right... for once. is nothing new to Gromnir in that release save the stuff 'bout being able to actually jump on a large critter... and chances are that that ain't news to frequent visitors at the DA board. the biowarians spend lots of time answering questions on the DA boards. mostly the bio guys is repeating self ad nauseum (and as Gromnir gots a sensitive digestion we avoids such gut-churning piffle,) but fact is that vol is correct... this time. go figure.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

"A Dragon Age thread not started by Volourn?"

NWN2 NWN2 NWN2 NWN2 NWN2

As for role-playing, did people read the same article as I? It was quite clear that the different backgrounds pretty much mean that the beginning of the game will be vastly different for each one. And, BIO has said that backgrounds will effect some things later on.

And, Grom wins as well. Most of that stuff has been discussed ad nauseum on the BIO baords.

The graphics look good. Not great. Just good.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

There hasn't been any for a while. I'm guessing Irrational will stay more or less quiet at least until Christmas.

Heja Sverige!!

ME-style dialogue? HATE.

At least I can find it in myself not to care too much since NWN2 and G3 will keep me busy.

I did like the screenie, however, as in art style (nothing special but decent and fits) and the interface.

Gaider sounded surprised by the ME-style dialogue comment on the Bio Boards.

Quote: Posted 11/03/06 00:02 (GMT) by A Grain of Sand

I like what I saw, gotta admit that, but I am leery of the ME conversation style.

I'm not really sure why it says that. Other than being more cinematic, the two dialogue systems don't have a lot in common. I guess it depends on what Scott meant by "modified". - Gaider's quote.

Edited by Leferd

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

- Depending on the type of character you choose, the game offers multiple different "origin stories"-meaning the first few hours of the game will be totally different depending on which character archetype you choose.

I've been campaigning for this for like 8 years.

Edited by Oerwinde
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I've been campaigning for this for like 8 years.

Didn't they do that with ToEE? Not wholly the same, but they had different prologues depending on the party's base alignment.