First Dragon Age infos revealed!

Morgoth

Preview says very little of substance, but I'm starting to get worried.  Saying that the game uses the Mass Effect style of conversation is another way of saying that it's going to have a lot of one-liners and short replies, which I thought was implemented due to the console-controls of ME but apparently Bio is moving towards that direction in general.

What exactly is wrong with Mass Effect's dialog? It's an emotional based dialog system ... You have various emotional replies to choose from and then the character does the real dialog that corresponds to your choice. I don't see how that's any reflection on "console controls", or having the entire dialog tree consist of "one-liners and short replies". It's a great way to keep the dialog moving forward - closer to what would happen in the real world, instead of having pauses while you read through 90 words just to pick the reply you want.

No one is thinking that the idea of having "real-time, emotional responses" as a bad design choice. But with Bioware's recent trackrecord in terms of substance, this very feature leaves many worried that Bioware will turn Mass Effect into a Halo with stats and adhd-responses for the graphicwh*re-generation.

Phew, i think i went on a 'codex parade there...

Recent track record? Huh? KOTOR and Jade Empire were full of dialog and substance, especially Jade Empire.

We will know once we see a screenshot, really. If it says

"Kill Dragon"

"Save Dragon"

"Get Dragon loot"

...yeah.

I remain excited by DA, if they remain 'honest' to their 'bullet points' from past and present - by that not 'live up to the hype', because nobody does, but not distort that vision - then I think we can have a nice nice game to play in a year or two.

Dragons' hordes = much goodness. ;)

O Dragon, all I wanna do is kill you...and steal your loot.

manthing2.jpg

"But with Bioware's recent trackrecord in terms of substance, this very feature leaves many worried that Bioware will turn Mass Effect into a Halo with stats and adhd-responses for the graphicwh*re-generation."

O Really? With BIO releasing their best written RPG last year in JE which is also their most recent game and the fact the role-playing has basically improved from game to game, I have nothing but expectations it will continue to improve.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

This is pretty much a sure buy for me. Considering that most of my pre-orders work out for me very well, I'm not worried in the least. I'd have to see something substantially negative to change my mind.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

They do tend to reuse story points and gameplay in their games however. If they have another trial by five judges thing again I am just going to scream.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

"But with Bioware's recent trackrecord in terms of substance, this very feature leaves many worried that Bioware will turn Mass Effect into a Halo with stats and adhd-responses for the graphicwh*re-generation."

O Really? With BIO releasing their best written RPG last year in JE which is also their most recent game and the fact the role-playing has basically improved from game to game, I have nothing but expectations it will continue to improve.

Role-playing improved from BG2 to NWN to KOTOR?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

"They do tend to reuse story points and gameplay in their games however. If they have another trial by five judges thing again I am just going to scream."

They aren't the only ones.

P.S. Please tape your screams. I wanna hear it!

"Role-playing improved from BG2 to NWN to KOTOR?"

Yes. ;)

Edited by Volourn

You can make the argument that NWN improved RPing. I mean, the DM client alone allowed for more extensive roleplaying. The nature of the multiplayer game really does provide a lot of opportunities for roleplaying. You can attack NWN on a variety of levels, and I have, but it's an improvement on the RPing aspect of computer gaming.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Even without the DMC, and just counting the OC, NWN improved the role-playing. I prefer BG2's story and characters; but the OC's role-playing was actually better than BG2.

Edited by Volourn

I disagree. They have turned into a shallow, Michael Bay-version of RPG developing. KotOR worked because it was a nice ode to the original trilogy. JE didn't work at all since the plot was the most basic kung-fu rip-off that there is.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Even without the DMC, and just counting the OC, NWN improved the role-playing. I prefer BG2's story and characters; but the OC's role-playing was actually better than BG2.

No.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

This isn't one of those times.

NWN's OC was a step backwards from BG2.

I guess it's true from a multiplayer perspective. I don't think it's true at all when we're talking about single-player alone.

And if you approach things from a multiplayer perspective, then KOTOR was definitely not a role-playing improvement over NWN.

I should note that I haven't played NWN's expansions so I don't know how role-playing fared in them.

Edited by Pidesco

Heja Sverige!!

Yeah, the packaged campaign wasn't a shining moment for RPing. The DMC and multiplayer aspects were. The packaged campaign was lackluster, but I've heard it explained that Bioware was mostly concerned with the DMC and toolset until just before the end.

Obsidian Plays

Not in terms of role-playing.

In terms of role playing in the OC in single player mode, yes.

Hopefully they won't dumb everything down for eight year old gamers, like was done with Ultimas VIII and IX. After years of great story telling, a decent franchise was stripped to the brainless simplicity of Doom. :dancing:

I've enjoyed games of the past with different, yet derived rules, games like the singleplayer Ultimas and Bard's Tale, so I'm not too concerned about DA's rules. I do hope the story is well thought out and deep enough that I can't solve the entire plot while talking to the first bad guy I meet. Some of us gamers are adults, and expect a little more from a game than the kids do. I'd even be willing to pay a little extra for it, if that's what it takes to motivate developers. Perhaps the 'limited edition' would contain a more cerebral story and dialogs, thus actually being worth the extra cost. At least it'd be worth more to me than mere trinkets.

Regardless, I am looking forward to DA. I don't mind its release being estimated as a year away; there's a lot I want to do with NWN2's toolset first.

Edited by Wistrik

Yeah, the packaged campaign wasn't a shining moment for RPing.  The DMC and multiplayer aspects were.  The packaged campaign was lackluster, but I've heard it explained that Bioware was mostly concerned with the DMC and toolset until just before the end.

If you believe that excuse.

I don't understand this knee-jerk sentimentality. There have been significant improvements in roleplaying. Take the influence mechanism introduced by Obsidian (K2/NWN2) for example. I don't know about you guys, but I prefer affinity based interactions with my NPCs rather than the scripted events of yesteryear.

manthing2.jpg

I don't understand this knee-jerk sentimentality.  There have been significant improvements in roleplaying.  Take the influence mechanism introduced by Obsidian (K2/NWN2) for example.  I don't know about you guys, but I prefer affinity based interactions with my NPCs rather than the scripted events of yesteryear.

But Volo's comment was about Bio's games specifically.

Heja Sverige!!

" Take the influence mechanism introduced by Obsidian (K2/NWN2) for example. "

Thyat's not an improvement. Espicially since influence has beena round for ages well before Obsiain coined it. Lame example. Sorry. Espicially since we were discussing improvement sin BIO games. Not BIS or Obsidian.

P.S. Youa re wrong again Sand. NWN OC is an improvement by a mile over BG2. At minimum.

I don't understand this knee-jerk sentimentality.  There have been significant improvements in roleplaying.  Take the influence mechanism introduced by Obsidian (K2/NWN2) for example.  I don't know about you guys, but I prefer affinity based interactions with my NPCs rather than the scripted events of yesteryear.

But Volo's comment was about Bio's games specifically.

Ah, okay then. :dancing:

manthing2.jpg

Could you give examples of improved role-playing in NWN's OC?

Heja Sverige!!

Indeed. One of worst ROLEPLAYING experiences ever. NWN OC I mean, same with SoU. HotU was above average, but still not very spectacular. NWN2 offers IMO one of best roleplaying options ever. :dancing:

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)