First Dragon Age infos revealed!

Morgoth

Yeah, each opening vignette or however you spell it was like 30 seconds long. Basically, they were just different reasons for being in the area.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I'm not really sure why it says that. Other than being more cinematic, the two dialogue systems don't have a lot in common. I guess it depends on what Scott meant by "modified". - Gaider's quote.

Hope someone isn't getting cut out of the development loop :lol:

:thumbsup: Nah, the more likely truth is that Mr. Scotty decided that ME = next-gen therefore relating to ME = DA IS NEXT-GEN. I guess we'll see how it works out after ME is released.

There are doors

We will know once we see a screenshot, really. If it says

"Kill Dragon"

"Save Dragon"

"Get Dragon loot"

...yeah.

I remain excited by DA, if they remain 'honest' to their 'bullet points' from past and present - by that not 'live up to the hype', because nobody does, but not distort that vision - then I think we can have a nice nice game to play in a year or two.

Well I'm not an expert in ancient or medieval cultures, but the screenshot definitively reminds a bit of Celtic influence. Also look at the strange posture of the doggie: He tries to vomit, so this must be derived from some Scandinavian culture. And the crossed bars at the houses look very Bavarian like.

Overally, I like it a lot more than the typical FR girlish look, or even worse, fatfaces and shiny soil from Oblivion.

Edited by Morgoth

- Depending on the type of character you choose, the game offers multiple different "origin stories"-meaning the first few hours of the game will be totally different depending on which character archetype you choose.

I've been campaigning for this for like 8 years.

Didn't they do that with ToEE? Not wholly the same, but they had different prologues depending on the party's base alignment.

the toee version were terrible. the da version... don't know.

a while back Gromnir complained 'bout the whole bass ackwards approach to having a half dozen or more Archetypes chooseable by pc. we pointed out that if they were done like toee then they were useless. if fleshed out so as to make real difference, then you end up writing huge 'mounts of extra dialogues and differing encounters for a pc that still gonna end up being kinda vague and underdeveloped. biowarians did respond that their archetypes were gonna be far different than toee wasted prologues.... but they never really did clarify for Gromnir how far to other end of spectrum were they gonna go.

see, the biowarians paid much attention to nwn and how peoples actually played that game. go to any of the larger PWs and looks at how people is playing. alfa, one of the big'un PWs, even had a kinda character bank wherein each character had a viewable small bio entry. is probable that they no longer use such a thing at alfa, but when they did it were... illuminating. with 1000 people coming up with 1000 d&d characters you might expect some signifficant variation... 'specially when you consider that alfa were trying to recruits Role-Players (whatever the hell that means, but there were the inference that they were trying to weed out the lamer gamer.) as hard as it were to believe, they asked Gromnir to be their application reviewer. we turned down the job mainly 'cause we woulda' gone nuts if we had to read literally hundreds of crappy ranger-who-was-orphaned-and-raised-by-elves bios. see, we all says we want more choice... more gameplay choices and more character generation choices, but fact of the matter is that 80% of peoples who played nwn characters coulds have their characters fall neatly within one of maybe 8 basic and fantasy archetypes.

make bhallspawn or revan vague 'nuff so that everybody can use? is tough to make such a character if the story is about that character. bhaalspawn that can be greedy or compassionate or martial or magical or sarcastic or grim is needing to be vague. go ahead and try to write a compelling story focused on such a ill-formed protagonist. we dares you to try.

bio figures they makes easier by recognizing that you clowns not really got much 'magination... 'least not as a group. the Average Gamer is likely to wanna play one of a handful o' recognizable archetypes, so bio aims to use that fact in DA.

honestly, we think it is a terrible idea. DA archetypes is still gonna be vague, and we not see how you can create 6 or 8 completely different possible protagonists in one game... not if such protagonists is genuine unique... and if they ain't, then why bother? that being said, the biowarians has made pretty clear that they is going for something more integral and involved than were toee approach... we simply do not know how much more.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

the toee version were terrible.  the da version... don't know.

They were more hit and miss, I think. The Chaotic Evil vignette was pretty lousy, what with the party just killing things at random and then going off to Hommlet to tell the priest that... They killed at random. However, others seemed to connect more to the story such as the alignment which had the party search for Elven royalty (which you do find later in the temple).

But yes, it could have been much better.

...stop kissin' BIOsphincter, at least as much, I's'd imagine be what the dwarf meant... :lol:

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

No. they were ALL horrible. Added pretty much nothing memorable to the game experience. DA better do better. Or else.

There's all kinds of fluff in videogames that aren't particularly memorable but still add to the game itself. Some vignettes in ToEE were relevant to the gameworld although they were obviously poorly written and handled. The Arcanum Backgrounds didn't add anything memorable to the game but dictated how the game was experienced.

• 4 weeks later...
Well he looks better than a Kathhound at least! I just wonder what this tiny plate on the shoulder is for.... Cosmetic? Protection?

Hehe, the shoulder armor is kinda funny. From the waist up hes completly unarmored except for the right shoulder. :D Maybe thats his Achilles heel.

Preview says very little of substance, but I'm starting to get worried.  Saying that the game uses the Mass Effect style of conversation is another way of saying that it's going to have a lot of one-liners and short replies, which I thought was implemented due to the console-controls of ME but apparently Bio is moving towards that direction in general.

What exactly is wrong with Mass Effect's dialog? It's an emotional based dialog system ... You have various emotional replies to choose from and then the character does the real dialog that corresponds to your choice. I don't see how that's any reflection on "console controls", or having the entire dialog tree consist of "one-liners and short replies". It's a great way to keep the dialog moving forward - closer to what would happen in the real world, instead of having pauses while you read through 90 words just to pick the reply you want.

"which I thought was implemented due to the console-controls"

Console controls have nothing to do with BIO's choice of dialogue method in ME. Their other console RPGs ie. KOTOR and JE both use the traditional BIO method. Not to emntion, plenty of other console RPGs do as well. ME's dialogue is a design decision by BIO because of what they are aiming for with ME. ME, and DA while both RPGs (though ME is an Action RPG) have different aims. :crazy:

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Preview says very little of substance, but I'm starting to get worried.  Saying that the game uses the Mass Effect style of conversation is another way of saying that it's going to have a lot of one-liners and short replies, which I thought was implemented due to the console-controls of ME but apparently Bio is moving towards that direction in general.

What exactly is wrong with Mass Effect's dialog? It's an emotional based dialog system ... You have various emotional replies to choose from and then the character does the real dialog that corresponds to your choice. I don't see how that's any reflection on "console controls", or having the entire dialog tree consist of "one-liners and short replies". It's a great way to keep the dialog moving forward - closer to what would happen in the real world, instead of having pauses while you read through 90 words just to pick the reply you want.

No one is thinking that the idea of having "real-time, emotional responses" as a bad design choice. But with Bioware's recent trackrecord in terms of substance, this very feature leaves many worried that Bioware will turn Mass Effect into a Halo with stats and adhd-responses for the graphicwh*re-generation.

Phew, i think i went on a 'codex parade there...

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy