NWN2 Professional Reviews Thread

Volourn

[quote name='

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

Oh boy, this is getting good. :rolleyes:

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Oh boy, this is getting good.  :rolleyes:

...no it ain't, lad...I almost feel bad fer 'im...at least Driftwood attempts ta make it interestin'; this be like tearin' the wings offa a fly, tossin' 'im in the bowl, an' then takin' a leak on 'im...sad, really... :p

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

nwn2 has many problems. is more than a few technical issues. the inventory systsem is a nightmare. auto-resurrection kotors/nerfs combat. play different class or race seems to not have much impact on game. some of the npcs has very little to contribute as far as dialogues is concerned. etc. nevertheless, we is surprised at just how terrible some of the reviews is.

1) we suspect that more than a few reviewers gots some misplaced guilt 'bout nwn.

anybody recall the nwn reviews? most was ridiculously good. we enjoyed nwn and we saw loads of potential, but the reviews from gamespot and cgw and other sources were a bit too good. we suspect that more than a few of those reviewers who made arses of selves with their 9/10 reviews is looking for a little misplaced payback this time 'round. "nobody is going to be able to to accuse me of being soft on NWN2, that is for damn sure."

2) the bg effect strikes again

bg had a cliche story with a hole-punch bad guy (if vol weren't surprised by Ultimate Bad Guy for nwn2, then we wonders what level of contempt he had for sarevok.) the quests were almost all fed-ex, and the npcs added little more than a catchphrase and a stat sheet. most of those maps peoples loved to "explore" (HA!) had little actual game content on 'em save for a laughably shallow quest and maybe a hobgoblin ambush or two. nevertheless, bg were the first playable d&d game for quite some time, and peoples were so damned starved for crpgs just then... and for those looking for a little more rpg than were available in diablo, bg were a nice change. regardless, bg were a seriously flawed game that somehow managed to becomes embraced by fans in spite of shortcomings.

bg2 comes out and improves on bg in almost every way imagined. sure, bg2 had problems, but it were a damned sight better than bg. 'course reality not match recollection of the True Fan. the hardcore bg fan somehow saw everything that were good 'bout bg w/o noticing flaws. to True Fans, bg2 were simply a pale reflection of bg, and an insult to the bg franchise to boot.

we suspect that more than a few reviewers (and posters) gots same issues with nwn2 that many haters had with bg2. they is not reasonable or rational, but these folks is real familiar to Gromnir. can't reason with the True Fan... whether you be talking 'bout bg or fallout or nwn.

btw, we ain't saying that nwn2 improves nwn to same degree that bg2 improved nwn... 'cause it don't. there is a kinda unfinished quality 'bout nwn2 that were not present with bg2. regardless, nwn2 does clearly improve 'pon nwn and even the suggestion o' that seems to offend some persons.

3) oblivion envy

oblivion were popular. reviewers KNOW that oblivion were popular. some reviewers seems determined to compare & contrast oblivion and nwn2. Gromnir fully concedes that bushes and shrubs look much nicer in oblivion than in nwn2. that being said, there really weren't all that much diversity as far as oblivion environments were concerned... every dungeon had a terrible sameness 'bout 'em that only seemed to add to general monotony of the game. and lets us be honest, most of the "quests" in oblivion were fed-ex, and the ones that weren't were pretty uninspired... maybe that is 'cause they secretly hired tim cain to does the dialogue and level design work. oh, and don't even get us started on the bass ackwards rules system that rewarded folks for choosing skills they rarely used as their main skills. in any event, we not see many ways in which oblivion compares favorably to nwn2... other than size of gameplaying world. but reviewers sees different. reviewers sees oblivion as current benchmark... which is actually a pretty safe thing to be doing. by oblivion's standard nwn2 is smaller and has less pretty trees. open game world and non-d&d seems to be "in" at the moment.

*shrug*

dunno. we not think nwn2 deserves 9/10, but it sure as hell is better than a 6/10... and more important, many of the reasons being given for murdering nwn2 in reviews is qualities that seems to be acceptable or overlooked in any number o' other similar games. it simply seems to Gromnir that some reviewers is working real hard to give nwn2 a bad review.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

That is why when I look at the reviews of games I remove the top scoring review and the lowest scoring review and deal with only those in between.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

[quote name='

dunno.  we not think nwn2 deserves 9/10, but it sure as hell is better than a 6/10... and more important, many of the reasons being given for murdering nwn2 in reviews is qualities that seems to be acceptable or overlooked in  any number o' other similar games.  it simply seems to Gromnir that some reviewers is working real hard to give nwn2 a bad review.

HA! Good Fun!

What do you rank it?

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

"it simply seems to Gromnir that some reviewers is working real hard to give nwn2 a bad review."

Absolute nonsense with no real facts to back it up. I mean 'Oblivion envy', 'payback for NWN1?', or 'bg1 to bg2 comparisons'... Where do you come up with this crap?

Basically, its' nothihng more than them not agreieng with yoru exact opinion of NWN1.

I remember when a set of people (a handful who think they are the majority) cheered when Gamespy (or was it Gamespot) had put NWN1 onto their 'most overrated games' list as they saw it as vindication for hating NWN1. LOL And, when it wa spointed out the reason why it was on the list because the writer felt that the toolset was overratee; but they still loved the actual shipped campaign; they cried some more. R00fles!

In essence, reviews are reviews. Soem we agree with; others don't. Heck, one of my favorite NWN1 reviews was the Codex one and they (meaning SP) trashed it more or less.

There is no grand conspiracy against NWN2. Most of the reviews - as per usual - have been 8+. Did you really expect EVERYONE to give it the same exact score you would? L0LLERZ!

Perosnally, the NWN2 OC campaign is around an 8 for me.. slightly higher than NWN1 OC... as for the entire game, TBD. NWN2 does some things better (companiosn being the one aside from the enforced nature); but NWN1 does the combat challenge and non linearity better)...

The biggest thing for me with NWN2 is not that some things were done wrong; is that the things it did wrong it did wrong majorly ie the way it goes about forcing companiosn on. I disliked this method in both KOTORs as well as JE; but NWN2 has taken the annoyance factor to a whole new level. Thankfully, many of the other problems are being fixed as we speak. Good on Obsidian for that.

I expected NWN2 to improve on 99% of NWN1's aspects. Too high of an expectation? Possibly; but meh. However, a sequel should auto do that. BG2 did in basically every way. FO2 did (despite the whining of the FOF,a nd the recycled story). Instead of that, I got an OC that is slightly better (but better nontheless), and a toolset that is improved in many, many ways; but seems to have been organized sloppily. Thankfully, I got the boardies to help me out in trying to master it.

:shifty::):bat:

"Stop discussing me, and start addressing my topics and you may yet restore your credibility, as your accusatory and caustic posts have nothing to do with the topic in hand which was in the form of questions no less - lightyears from the conversation you seem to be having with yourself about another time and place."

Sarge is one of the few people who don't mind getting their hands dirty even more than me. In fact, his posts are littered with more flames than most posters. That's what makes him cool. Don't worry about his torlling. Have fun with it! :joy:

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

[quote name='

I expected NWN2 to improve on 99% of NWN1's aspects. Too high of an expectation? Possibly; but meh. However, a sequel should auto do that. BG2 did in basically every way. FO2 did (despite the whining of the FOF,a nd the recycled story). Instead of that, I got an OC that is slightly better (but better nontheless), and a toolset that is improved in many, many ways; but seems to have been organized sloppily. Thankfully, I got the boardies to help me out in trying to master it.

:shifty:  :)  :bat:

NWN2 improved vastly over NWN but it still had flaws. One thing like character faces NWN2 floors NWN, but NWN2 still does not have the greatest looking faces. Their 3D still looks like its a year behind compared to other games.

2010spaceships.jpg

Sarge is one of the few people who don't mind getting their hands dirty even more than me. In fact, his posts are littered with more flames than most posters. That's what makes him cool. :joy:

:shifty:

...quit hittin' on me, dwarf; no means no... :crazy:

:)

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

"One thing like character faces NWN2 floors NWN"

Doesn't impress me much when a 2006 game has better graphics than a 2002 game. Sorry; but it's true.

It be like me telling thoe who dislike NWN1 graphics that, hey, at least NWN1 graphics are better than Pacman or for us RPG fans Wizardry 1.

R00fles!

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"One thing like character faces NWN2 floors NWN"

Doesn't impress me much when a 2006 game has better graphics than a 2002 game. Sorry; but it's true.

It be like me telling thoe who dislike NWN1 graphics that, hey, at leats NWN1 graphics are better than Pacman or for us RPG fans Wizardry 1.

R00fles!

The graphics of NWN were dated way before the game was released. Hell the Aurora engine was out dated before NWN was released.

Edited by Dark_Raven

2010spaceships.jpg

The graphics looked dated to me on release, but the dynamic lighting sure looked good. The problem with NWN graphics, at least from this gamer's chair, is that the colors were all drab and the tileset made everything look like it was made of different colored building blocks. Terrain didn't look natural.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

This topic is closed for the time being. In fact, maybe we can restart it without the posturing. Sarge, behave yourself! I know you like hurling fire, but you're going to end up in the middle of a conflagration. If we can't post without calling each other names, then some of us will end up having our posting rights put on moderated. That's irritating not only for the poster, but also for the moderators. It'll annoy my peers, so don't get to that point. You know you who are. Sarge. :shifty:

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!