NWN2: Forumite Impressions

Llyranor

Eh? No, Microsoft .NET is a complete runtime environment, just like Java.

[start technobabble]

For example, normal programs would run in native mode, i.e. directly in the operating system, .NET programs run in the intermediate .NET environment, and that environment runs in the operating system. So think of it as a mini platform on top of Windows, that is simpler to program for, and hence allows a simpler, faster, and cheaper development process.

[End technobabble]

Microsoft .NET is needed for the toolset, I can't think of other components that would need it.

I thought it downloaded the patch than went about installing it. If it didn't install it, I wouldn't see a problem.

It downloaded it.

It installed 96% of it.

Then hit a file called VO.Zip and then choked. :p

Cancel it and do it over..that's why I did when mine hit a roadbloack at 51% at least. 2nd time was the charm and fully installed

Edited by Riftworm

This would be the third time, but I'll try again.

I was looking at the bioboards and came across something that said you need 7gb of free space on the drive to patch :p

I'll free up some space and try once more.

I had the same problem... it's due to diskspace. I uninstalled some crap and tried again, and it worked for me. The reason I'm so sure it's diskspace is because Windows XP said I was running out of disk space while installing the patch, then the patch broke.

All you gotta do is free some diskspace and update again.

(I'm posting this for the benefit of anyone reading this thread, since you (Darque) already stated that you'd try to clear up some space).

btw, this is the game i've been waiting to see ever since i finished BG2. i'm having a blast. probably 10-12 hours already, i'm 6th level, working out of highcliff at the moment. i'm a weezard, got the fighter, rogue and druid tagging along.

to anyone whining about the camera controls... do you need some cheddar with that whine? easier than NWN. better, IMO. top-down is perfect and i can control the angle with ease.

to anyone whining about graphics, are you sure you have the same game as i have? i think they look great. exactly as a crpg should look. this ain't quake. the detail in the interiors is breathtaking, not empty feeling like ToEE (which had potential, but apparently movers got to all the interiors before the players did). exteriors are nice as well. i personally think the characters look fine as well, not anything like the stale, bland characters someone else whinged about. also, i have everything set on medium, with 1152x864 and it is smooth as glass. it actually outperforms NWN1 in many ways (i still get stutters with NWN1). if you have a $5000 system and you're having issues with this game, you need to take computer lessons. step one, plug it in...

i was really impressed with the amount of story telling that occurs. surprised, actually. it's great. particularly when your party members start arguing (and argue they do). pause during a cut-scene to take a quick break... wow. TONS of scripted sequences acted out based on who is in your party. very slick.

if this game continues the rest of the way as it has begun, it will likely be one of my all-time favorites. i'm totally impressed. good job obsidian. very good job.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

btw, this is the game i've been waiting to see ever since i finished BG2.  i'm having a blast.  probably 10-12 hours already, i'm 6th level, working out of highcliff at the moment.  i'm a weezard, got the fighter, rogue and druid tagging along.

to anyone whining about the camera controls... do you need some cheddar with that whine?  easier than NWN.  better, IMO.  top-down is perfect and i can control the angle with ease.

to anyone whining about graphics, are you sure you have the same game as i have?  i think they look great.  exactly as a crpg should look.  this ain't quake.  the detail in the interiors is breathtaking, not empty feeling like ToEE (which had potential, but apparently movers got to all the interiors before the players did).  exteriors are nice as well.  i personally think the characters look fine as well, not anything like the stale, bland characters someone else whinged about.  also, i have everything set on medium, with 1152x864 and it is smooth as glass.  it actually outperforms NWN1 in many ways (i still get stutters with NWN1).  if you have a $5000 system and you're having issues with this game, you need to take computer lessons.  step one, plug it in...

i was really impressed with the amount of story telling that occurs.  surprised, actually.  it's great.  particularly when your party members start arguing (and argue they do).  pause during a cut-scene to take a quick break... wow.  TONS of scripted sequences acted out based on who is in your party.  very slick.

if this game continues the rest of the way as it has begun, it will likely be one of my all-time favorites.  i'm totally impressed.  good job obsidian.  very good job.

taks

This is what I like to hear....I just can't bank on the game running properly on my systems, what with all the problems I've heard, though I've never been plagued by performance problems due to my setup (other than them being less than stellar, which is no longer the case). I just don't know. I need a patch :)

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Whew... it worked. :)

7gb to install a patch? :)

Ah well, if the game is fun it'll be worth it. :)

Special thanks to Riftworm for convincing me to go through that again. :o

7G?? Good thing for file compressions. The patch is 82MB compressed. :o

I think it's space that's needed for files the patching process is using.

Since most of the files are Zips, I'm guessing it needs to unzip them, patch, and then zip them again.

I'm starting to regret partitioning this drive into 20gig bites :)

This is what I like to hear....I just can't  bank on the game running properly on my systems, what with all the problems I've heard, though I've never been plagued by performance problems due to my setup (other than them being less than stellar, which is no longer the case). I just don't know. I need a patch :)

i have a system that is not much better than the minimum. however, i do know how to take care of it. :)

in particular:

winXP professional on

AMD 3200+ with no OC

ASUS 8KV mobo (er, K8V?)

1 GB DDR333

40 GB WD HDD, 7200 rpm ATA100 (i have a SATA 3.0, but it is dedicated to Linux)

6800 vanilla 128 MB vid card with extra pipes turned on. no other modifications.

audigy 2 gamer sound card and logitech speakers.

oh, and a dell 19" monitor. got it from a friend. i'm about to take over a dell 20" LCD that i'm scarfing from work (they're dumping a bunch of stuff).

nothing fancy, just simple. fairly recent drivers for everything, btw.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

I've got the graphics turned up to the max...it's kinda pretty, but the sheer amount of jaggies is akin to ramming an ice pick into my eyes every time I look at it. :)

The controls are sluggish too, as is the gameplay. Or maybe FPS's and WoW have screwed my perception in that area...

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

This is what I like to hear....I just can't  bank on the game running properly on my systems, what with all the problems I've heard, though I've never been plagued by performance problems due to my setup (other than them being less than stellar, which is no longer the case). I just don't know. I need a patch :)

i have a system that is not much better than the minimum. however, i do know how to take care of it. :)

in particular:

winXP professional on

AMD 3200+ with no OC

ASUS 8KV mobo (er, K8V?)

1 GB DDR333

40 GB WD HDD, 7200 rpm ATA100 (i have a SATA 3.0, but it is dedicated to Linux)

6800 vanilla 128 MB vid card with extra pipes turned on. no other modifications.

audigy 2 gamer sound card and logitech speakers.

oh, and a dell 19" monitor. got it from a friend. i'm about to take over a dell 20" LCD that i'm scarfing from work (they're dumping a bunch of stuff).

nothing fancy, just simple. fairly recent drivers for everything, btw.

taks

I've heard people complaining about poor performance when they have a completely decked out system, so it seems it's rather hit or miss.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

"do you need some cheddar with that whine?"

Troll much?

I'm so happy you like the camera controls; but quite frankly they are below par. Horrid actually. Good amount of playing is trying to find the right camera angle to play so walls or buildings don't get in the way or such an insane closeup; you can't see nothing but the character.

Graphics are good. Mostly not breathtaking though exscept in some instances.

Performance is greta. Like I said before, it's posisbly the most stable PC game I've tried.

The npcs are great for the most part; but the actual story is 'merely' good.

Obsidian did a good job; but your idea that the game is perfect is just as bad as those who think it's the 'worst game ever'.

L0LLERZ!

P.S. 10 hours to get to High Cliff? WOW! And, I thought I was taking my time...

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.