NWN2: Forumite Impressions

Llyranor

But how do you know whether a game will sell out? I don't really buy more than a half-dozen games per year, and very few of those are bought on or near "Day 1." Plus, I recently moved and am unfamiliar with how the stores around here operate. And the whole "job" thing kinda prevents hanging around the store waiting for the shipment to come in.

But my problems aren't worth cluttering the thread. I want to here more on what the game is actually like (and how it runs on a sub-spec CPU).

Impressions Day 2.

Save features.

No autosave from moving one area to the next? Why? A lot of games have that feature.

Why am I being prompted to enter a name when I wish to save a previous save game? If I am playing game called Gabby1, I go and save, then I should save under that current game name not be prompted to enter a name.

More forth coming.

There is an autosave, although I'm not sure just what triggers it. ;)

:"> Speak of the devil there it is. It wasn't there last time.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

More / better autosaves would be more convenient, but I usually just enact a Fallout policy: quicksave every 3 minutes. Hard save before big fights, or during big fights if you happen to luck out and kick lots of ass.

My biggest problem is the camera, bu that's not much of a problem, I can deal. I was having some trouble with the interface at first, but I got it figured out. The second problem I have is that the dungeons are loooooooooong. If I'm going to run through this game multiple times (and I will), this is going to get real old, real fast.

Other things that annoy me: I'm a drow, but nobody's scared or repulsed by me, which seems odd. Most people don't seem to even notice. For being what's commonly a savage murdering monster, an awful lot of people are willing to place a lot of faith in me at first meeting. It feels like a hole in an otherwise immersive RP experience.

Other than that, I was being a bit harsh in my initial assessment of the game. The story branching is apparent and well-implemented. I'm certainly enjoying the game as it goes through the Neverwinter portion.

Got a gamecrashing bug, or rather, a gamestopping bug. I guess it's kind of a spoiler, so I'll tag it.

When you're tracking the githyanki to Luskan, there's that transitional encounter in the town of Ember, where you're ambushed by the githyanki a few times. There's an exit point, but it's not functioning. All the doors in the town are permanently locked. So I'm stuck, I guess. There's nowhere to go. I believe there may be a dialogue with Bishop that failed to load.

Another thing I noticed is the relative lack of indoor environments in the towns. The only buildings you can enter are the important ones. Hell, in Highcliff (that's the name of the town, right?) there's supposed to be an inn and a tavern, but there's no indoor environments in the town at all except for a house you fight thieves in. The person you're supposed to find in the tavern isn't actually in the tavern, but outside the tavern, drinking from an imaginary tap. All the shopkeepers have kiosks, the only merchant with his own building is Sand. It makes all the buildings seem like big solid rocks, instead of buildings.

Well, the copy protection won't let me play the game. So it looks like I need to find a no-cd patch or something. And the autopatcher tells me to download the critical rebuild... which isn't available.

Edited by Oerwinde
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Or try another DVD drive, would that help? I've heard some drives are pickier than others with that stuff. Maybe I've heard wrong tho. :thumbsup:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Or try another DVD drive, would that help? I've heard some drives are pickier than others with that stuff. Maybe I've heard wrong tho. :thumbsup:

It whined that it needed my DVD labelled Utilities. Which is a burn I made a while back. So I jammed that in, it said it needed the NWN2 play disc, so I did that too, then it whined about my emulation software, so I disabled it, and its still whining about it.

Hey OE devs, any way to bypass the copy protection on this? It would be nice to play the game I spent 75 bucks on.

EDIT: Figured maybe it was me installing the merchants friend thing that made me unable to patch, and that the failed patch was what made it ask for a disc that it shouldn't know exists. So I reinstalled. Patch failed. Still asks for my Utilities disc.

EDIT2: Ok, the official forums say I need like 7 gigs of free space to patch the game, so I freed up as much as was possible and we'll see if it patches.

Edited by Oerwinde

Devastatorsig.jpg

Ok, game is patched, still asks for my utilities disc then tells me to disable my disabled emulation software.

EDIT: After a restart... now it only bitches about my nonexistant emulation software.

Edited by Oerwinde

Devastatorsig.jpg

Ok, game is patched, still asks for my utilities disc then tells me to disable my disabled emulation software.

EDIT: After a restart... now it only bitches about my nonexistant emulation software.

Maybe your emulation software is running as a Windows service, or a driver, so it won't be visible in the task manager.

Saving is definitely something that NWN 2 isn't as keen on as it should be. Given the game's occasional tendency to bug out during quests at times, it's absolutely imperative that players save often and intodifferent slots. Since this game isn't as linear as, say, DM (which has frequent autosave points), the best way to do this would probably be to build in the feature into quicksave.

I know that it's a bother because supposedly people should be saving manually into different slots, but my experience with gamers these days is that they're awfully peevish and lazy - and would rather blame the devs than spend some extra time themselves managing saves. Since quick save is so much more convenient (and could be even moreso if it didn't fade into the save screen & back), most people just use that - and the UI person in me says that you want to adapt to people's behaviors rather than depend on them to adapt to yours.

There are doors

Maybe your emulation software is running as a Windows service, or a driver, so it won't be visible in the task manager.

Turned out I was just doing it wrong. I was just closing Daemon Tools, I had to actually disable my virtual drives. I figured closing the program would have done the same thing, but nope. Been playing it ever since. Only complaint: Needs an option to invert the mouse/camera interface. I keep trying to move the camera one way, but it moves the opposite direction I want it to.

Devastatorsig.jpg

So, I went out last night to the local store and the had copies literally spilling off the shelf. Install went smooth and the game loads up without delay like Ive read some of you having. Due to wife aggro I only had time to whip through making a Paladin (*sigh* Im so predictable) and played a few minutes of the tutorial. Only thing there that was a little odd was an about 1 second delay between clicking on a place for my guy to walk to, and him executing the command.

The updater fails to work and gives me an error of "Internet is not connected or patch server is down". I know its not the former so it must be the latter. Trying to navigate directly to the download page provides a link to an FTP site that doesnt have jack on it, so I dont know whats up with that or how Im going to get the patch.

Farted around a bit with the display setting and set everything I could to maximum. No slowdowns but then again Im still in the tutorial. The "Recommended Settings" button on the "Advanced" tab doesnt seem to do anything at all as when I pushed it, nothing changed anywhere I could see.

Got further last night.

Actually beat the Mossfelds and dispelled the pig.

My wife sat with me last night, watching me play and we both had a blast. I am definitely looking forward to making some real progress this weekend, as I am loving this game. BTW, D&D Hardcore rules all the way.

In regards to the autosave, it does exist but when it saves seems kinda random. I think it only triggers on the world map (but I'm actually not sure on this) but it definitely doesn't do so everytime the world map is used. I think there is either a time code there somewhere or maybe it saves every other time you use the world map.

Given how quick save times are I have a hard time understanding why it doesn't autosave on every world map transition though.