NWN2: Forumite Impressions

Llyranor

Changing resolutions, turning off shadows, switching filtering methods and texture quality.

The only way to gain a substantial increase in performance is to basically run it at minimal settings.

Question, if it's ok.

What are your specs?

P4 @ 3.2GHZ

1.00 GB of Ram

ATI x800xl

Pretty much the recommended specs.

One thing that I'm really digging about NWN 2 is the Quickcast UI. Wonderful not having to click through three levels of buttons in order to cast a spell.

I will reserve judgment on the rest of the game until I've finished it, but it looks good so far :)

There are doors

I have my first complaint about the game. TAB doesn't highlight objects anymore. You have to actually move your mouse over everything in order to figure out if you can use it. :(

Try using "Z", isntead.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I'm reading there's lots of issues with dual core processors. Anyone here had any problems with that? I was thinking of buying a DC pc.

Apparently the game runs much smoother once you turn off shadows and normal mapping, but judging from the screenshots, those are the things that make it look decent enough.

I like the combat.  It reminds me of real PnP style.  Good for a game based on a PnP game.

That's good to hear, and one thing that really worried me. :)

I can't wait to get it now. :)

You don't have it yet? What's your excuse? :(

Mine is pre-ordering from a lame site. So far I should get it some where from Nov 4 - Nov 7.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

I am really enjoying NWN 2. Its like a mix of IWD and BG using an updated NWN engine. I guess that is because it is. :(

So far this game is getting a roll of 19 on the d20. Definitely a critical threat. When I first installed NWN 1 this is what I was expecting out of it.

Edited by Sand

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Question: Is the tooltip display for Favored Enemy incorrect, or did y'all not change FE to match 3.5? The display says that it grants +1 to damage, Spot, Listen, and Taunt, with an addition +1 every five levels (plus an additional FE). However, 3.5E has Favored Enemy bonus at +2 at level 1, and an additional +2 (assigned wherever one wishes) at level 5 and every 5 levels thereafter.

Didn't get in much playing last night (in fact, still haven't finished creating my character), but it looks to be more immersive than the first.

First impression:

The plastic was hard to chew through, tasted ok. Manual smells good. The installer is bugged and might ask you to free up 5.5gb on C: even if you install it on a separate drive, i will install if you click alot on the disk requirements button though.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

First impression:

The plastic was hard to chew through, tasted ok. Manual smells good. The installer is bugged and might ask you to free up 5.5gb on C: even if you install it on a separate drive, i will install if you click alot on the disk requirements button though.

Hmm, weird.. apparantly this bug* exists for Gothic 3 as well.

Dare I speculate upon a widespread scheme?

EDIT: *= Both the hard-chewed plastic and the disk space bug.

Edited by Noceur

Day 1.5

I just finished the tutorial. Very nice introduction, gives you that warm homey feeling about it.

I just started Act 1 and I lost of of my tag alongs. It seemed forced, part of the plot I would guess.

Still made me sad though. :(

Now I am to take part in another quest in the swamps. Opps I forgot to get healed before I left.

So far it's great even though the camera view gets tedius after a while.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

I stopped by EB/GS on the way home last night.. lucky for me, there was only one copy left. Taking my prize directly home, I installed the game and downloaded the patch. The updater did its thing for about 5 minutes or so.. I was expecting the download to take longer but cable is a wonderful thing. After much anticipation I began the game and fooled around with making a character before bed.

5 hours later..

I'm impressed. And this is not an instace where I was walking in with low expectations.

I understand that the first NWN OC has its diehard fans.. they have my condolences.. but seriously, what I experienced last night is what I thought I was getting into with the first game.. a logical extension of sorts with the IE games.

Some quick notes, postitive and negative:

+/- This game is much more of a technical beast relative to the first game. What I mean is that the first game was not visually impressive at all when it was released whereas NWN2 is looking pretty sweet (note: Ive seen some screenshots that people have posted and its almost a totally different game visually from one rig to another.. on my system its looking pretty sweet). I believe I understand the reasoning Bioware had for including support for even GF2MX cards.. keep the game open to more potential users at launch. NWN did not age well at all. What has occured in the new game is the opposite. Hopefully, the game will stay more aesthetically pleasing for its lifetime.

+ The tutorial was nice and the writing was solid. I lol'ed a few times. .. I was going to say more here.. but dont wish to spoil anything for anybody.

- Magic item rate is waaay high. Im more of the low-magic mindset but I figure its something to be mentioned. Whether this leads to ridiculous uberer-than-uber gear later remains to be seen.

+ Context menu is awesome. It took me about 5 minutes to get used to it and now I am hooked! The radial menu was alright but this to me is just much more user friendly.

WHAT A HORRIBLE NIGHT TO HAVE A CURSE.

i like loot. high magic == cool in my book. of course, i expect challenges to be based on that as well. i was the same in PnP land back in the day when i actually played it...

i'm off work tomorrow. i was going to hit opening day at copper mountain (yay, ski season is OPEN), but i don't think my ski-buddy is ready to hit the slopes yet. may just have to hole up and play NWN2. so far, everything is sounding like a game i'll like.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

I wasn't going to touch this until I finished FFXII but I decided to install it to see how the character creation, graphics, & UI looked. Character creation is much better compared to NWN but not as detailed as I would have liked. In game graphics are a let down. The screenshots make it look a whole lot better than what I'm playing. FYI - I'm running the game on a high end PC w/ a 7900GT 512mb card and I have the settings maxed. I would have to agree with Gamespot's score on the graphics(6/10). Camera control in this game is horrible. It's going to take me a while to set things up to where it's playable. I finished the Tutorial and thought it was good. Definitely going to play through this when I get the time but still can't help but feel disappointed with the overall look and feel of the game.

i like loot.  high magic == cool in my book.  of course, i expect challenges to be based on that as well.  i was the same in PnP land back in the day when i actually played it...

Same here. One of the things I really liked about BGII was that you could get awesome gear but you have to fight pretty hard to get it (Firkraag for the Holy Avenger, the lich protecting the Staff of the Magi). Im getting more and more pumped for this game, maybe Ill wander over to the store after work and pick up a copy today.

note: Ive seen some screenshots that people have posted and its almost a totally different game visually from one rig to another.. on my system its looking pretty sweet

What's your system?

2.8 P4

1 gig ram

x800gto (if you got ati.. omega drivers, people)

Im running @1280x720.. Medium on most settings.. Shadows will definately eff things up unless you got something >= 7900.. Shadows are also on medium.

WHAT A HORRIBLE NIGHT TO HAVE A CURSE.

Seriously, I didn't get very far at all, just far enough to meet my tutorial companions. What I've experienced thus far is very immersive, and if the game continues this trend (quite a bet, I know, given how little I've actually play), then I will be one satisfied customer.

I hate finding magic items on every rat I kill! I want a low-magic world! Like the original Pool of Radiance. Ok, so maybe it wasn't low-magic, but I didn't find out about the "detect magic" spell until years later :)

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!