KotOR2 confirmed at 1Up.com

1. I think so. Stupid thing, really, FF8 is my favourite game of the series, yet i don't remember much of it now, as i only played it twice, and lent it to a friend of mine, who hasn't still returned it <_<

2. True, but it does constitute the premise for a combination of interactive and cinematic.

3. "Drawing cards" in combat? Perhaps you meant drawing magic and the ocasional GF?

1. I can remember quite a bit about all of them. But then compared to when they were released I have played them very recently. :)

2. It's very well done but its still based around what is essentially a mini game which has nothing to do with Squalls abilities. It's a matter of whether or not you can do it without making it a mine game. And non JRPGs dont usually have a seperate battle "field".

3. You could either draw them to use or draw them to store for strengthening your junctions. As each of my characters had multiple GF's I got through rather a lot of cards. Cerberus and his triple and Eden and her triple.

Which entailed finding whatever had those cards and sitting there drawing them till you reach 99. I found mugging much more fun, takes less time and your never sure what your going to get.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I don't place FF series as CRPGs, for you do not create your character and the conversation choices (when they are available) are pretty meaningless. FF series of games are good interactive novels or CG anime (for the latest versions) but thats about it.

FF7 is still my favorite.

CAIT SITH RULEZ!

Now i really need to replay it.

It's very good I just seem to prefer the ones where the summons are intergrated into the story.

VI

IX

X

And V because I just love the job system.

The only mini game I have ever gone out of my way to play is Chocobo hot&cold.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I don't place FF series as CRPGs, for you do not create your character and the conversation choices (when they are available) are pretty meaningless. FF series of games are good interactive novels or CG anime (for the latest versions) but thats about it.

FF7 is still my favorite.

CAIT SITH RULEZ!

OMG U TEH FANBUOY!!!

j/k

FF7 was so overhyped its not even funny. As i played i often laughed at the game, not with the game. I severely disliked almost everything about it. The translation wasn't helping either.

I'd have to rate FF7 as my favorite too :) though FF6 is a close second.

I played VII more than any other game. Even after completion I spent ages fighting Emerald weapon... that was one tough mofo. Sephiroth was a joke by comparison.

The death of Aeris is still one of the greatest scenes ever. Came as a complete shock and the music was unforgettable. Even Cait Sith had a good send-off.. that stupid talking cat and stuffed Mog.

I have only good memories about FFVII.

B)

I played VII more than other game. Even after completion I spent ages fighting Emerald weapon... that was one tough mofo. Sephiroth was a joke by comparison.

Thats normal. The bonus bosses are always stronger than the end boss.

Shinryuu is my favourite one. Four Lancer/Ninja's with lances of dragon slaying. B)

X Death was $toss'd to death.

478327[/snapback]

I must be a very strange person. People often tell me the points in which they like and/or liked a game, and i just blink and stare at them. I usually found the moments they liked the be "meh" at best. I'm either a robot or an alien experiment.

The reason i'm saying this is that i saw Aeris' death a mile away. After having played games like Phantasy Star 1, FF IV, V and VI, i was already used to seeing characters die. Then when i noticed everyone was taken by surprise at this character's death, crying, claiming its one of the greates moments in history, making fanfics... I was *stunned*.

I must be a very strange person. People often tell me the points in which they like and/or liked a game, and i just blink and stare at them. I usually found the moments they liked the be "meh" at best. I'm either a robot or an alien experiment.

The reason i'm saying this is that i saw Aeris' death a mile away. After having played games like Phantasy Star 1, FF IV, V and VI, i was already used to seeing characters die. Then when i noticed everyone was taken by surprise at this character's death, crying, claiming its one of the greates moments in history, making fanfics... I was *stunned*.

People are moved by different things.

Never had an impact on me either except for wanting to kick Sephiroths butt. If it had been Tiffa that would have been a whole different ballgame. I just find it intensely creepy that you can "date" Barret and dress up as a girl.

The concert in FFX-2 where Yuna and Lenne sing "One thousand years" is very well done and packed with emotion.

Then again so is the lake scene in FFX if you know what the purpose of the summoners journey is at the time.

478327[/snapback]

Predictable or not, its all a matter presentation.

If you're taking it at face value, i agree. You're bound to be struck more by an event thats displayed realistically than a gob of pixels collapsing. I just found that, on par with the characterization, i never got to feel anything for the character. A slum-girl getting stabbed by a goth boy somehow didn't felt as striking as having Leo sacrifice himself to the death, or even seeing Cyan's three reasons for living (wife, child, king) gone in minutes.

If it had been Tiffa that would have been a whole different ballgame.

Precisely.

A slum-girl getting stabbed by a goth boy somehow didn't felt as striking as having Leo sacrifice himself to the death, or even seeing Cyan's three reasons for living (wife, child, king) gone in minutes.

agreed.

I wasn't particularly attached to Aeris myself, but there was something about her death that was incredibly moving. All the elements of game design came together to produce a flawless sequence that struck a chord with almost everyone. The execution was perfect.. and the music.. oh God, the music! It might not have been a total surprise but it was a shock how sudden she died. So coldly snuffed out by Sephiroth, which hit like a bolt out of the blue.

I wouldn't mind playing a rodian scoundrel/scout who uses his skills to have a comfortable life and stay away from such meaningless conflicts of morality and idealogy.

They could call it "Star Wars: The Sims of the Old Republic".

ROFL

Tidus and Yuna are very realistic teenagers. It's no wonder they're a bit irritating sometimes, especially when one takes translation into consideration :).

The Aeris scene in FF7 broke my heart. It was also soooo cool. I'm waiting for someone to top Sephiroth in the "video game villain" department, but it hasn't happened yet.

A few comments on this discussion:

1) KOTOR was clearly a story oriented game, as mentioned. It's limited implementation of the D20 system was clearly related to the limits of it's story. Some may question why they'd bother using the system at all under those circumstances, to which I'd reply that what they could use undoubtedly made their work easier in the sense that the didn't have to spend the time fully fleshing out a whole new rules system.

2) the majority of KOTOR buyers are approaching the game primarily from the standpoint of the movies only. They could not care any less about what rules system was at it's base. What was important to them was that the game had a cinematic and story experience similar to that of the movies. In this KOTOR succeeded, IMHO. The success of EA's LOTR games shows many gamers are happy with limited gameplay when dealing with familiar settings.

3) Given that's it's unlikely that Obsidian can re-create a story for KOTOR2 that can carry the game like KOTOR1 had, I'm hoping we do see the broader character choice options many are hoping for. However, it is more likely they will try and duplicate KOTOR1's formula and hope they can create a story driven game, much like the Final Fantasy series has managed over the years. I think it's best to view the KOTOR series in this console style light, as that is clearly what they were aiming for in the first game.

Obsidian won't be able to reproduce KotOR's success from a story standpoint. I'm sure they have the temptation to do something similar, or even continue the story directly, but Bioware hit the jackpot with Revan.

Being Dark Lord of the Sith was a masterstroke which fascinated people long after completion. The amount of interest this character has generated is amazing. TNO never had that level of support even though Torment is a superior game. Obsidian should just write a great story and not even try to replicate KotOR. It can't be done.

Other than that, I think a Star Wars RPG should have a movie feel. The use of cinematics and cutscenes, while annoying to some, achieved that rather well. Just allow the player to trigger these scenes and not at the story's behest and I'll be happy.

A slum-girl getting stabbed by a goth boy somehow didn't felt as striking as having Leo sacrifice himself to the death, or even seeing Cyan's three reasons for living (wife, child, king) gone in minutes.

agreed.

What REALLY pissed me of is that I had trained her into my best mage who packed a really mean whallop, and what happens? She gets killed and beside the emotional impact, I also feel how several hours of leveling Aeris up and getting her final break flies away in front of my eyes.... :angry:

What REALLY pissed me of is that I had trained her into my best mage who packed a really mean whallop, and what happens? She gets killed and beside the emotional impact, I also feel how several hours of leveling Aeris up and getting her final break flies away in front of my eyes.... :angry:

Thats the best way of doing of it. You cant make someone feel something. It's impossible. But you can make expect them to miss someone they have spent the last 10 hours playing through.

In my case I used Tiffa and Barret. I took Tiffa on the date and Aeris was rarely in my party. So when Aeris was killed outside of the usual lets get some payback there wasnt really any feeling of loss.

On the other hand if it had happened to Tiffa , someone who had been an important part of my game upto that point I would have felt it on a much more personal level.

So while killing off a party character can be a powerful thing. It only reaches its full impact when its been a character that someone has either connected with or has been using in the party for a time.

478327[/snapback]

Thats the best way of doing of it. You cant make someone feel something. It's impossible. But you can make expect them to miss someone they have spent the last 10 hours playing through.

In my case I used Tiffa and Barret. I took Tiffa on the date and Aeris was rarely in my party. So when Aeris was killed outside of the usual lets get some payback there wasnt really any feeling of loss.

On the other hand if it had happened to Tiffa , someone who had been an important part of my game upto that point I would have felt it on a much more personal level.

So while killing off a party character can be a powerful thing. It only reaches its full impact when its been a character that someone has either connected with or has been using in the party for a time.

In my opinion Aeris got killed to early, sure it gives you the feeling that now it's personal to whack Sepiroth but I can't help to feel that Square could have extended her "life expectancy" since I think it would have made quite a powerful scene having Aeris present when Cloud confronts Sepiroth and it's revealed to him that he is but a manufactured clone...

Obsidian won't be able to reproduce KotOR's success from a story standpoint. I'm sure they have the temptation to do something similar, or even continue the story directly, but Bioware hit the jackpot with Revan.

Being Dark Lord of the Sith was a masterstroke which fascinated people long after completion. The amount of interest this character has generated is amazing. TNO never had that level of support even though Torment is a superior game. Obsidian should just write a great story and not even try to replicate KotOR. It can't be done.

Other than that, I think a Star Wars RPG should have a movie feel. The use of cinematics and cutscenes, while annoying to some, achieved that rather well. Just allow the player to trigger these scenes and not at the story's behest and I'll be happy.

Minor KotOR poilers ahead so be warned:

Okay, if I was making the sequel to KotOR I would use the Dark Side ending as the base as well as be immediately after the end of the first game. It has a ready made end boss for the second game for the player to defeat as well.

The PCs would start off as Republic survivors of the battle who crashed landed onto the Rakata world where Carth is at, since he ran away. I would have Mission still dead and Zaalbar under Revan's heel. Carth becomes a leader of the survivors and gives players beginning missions to find parts, repairing ships, deal with the natives in one fashion or another, and figure out a way off the planet. They would use the Temple as a base, which more than likely piss off the One's people.

A few Jedi could be among the survivors as well, so that way the player can start playing a Jedi instead of being 8th to 9th level before Jedi-hood like the first game. As the survivors get ready to leave a small dark jedi team come in to do a sweep and clear as well as turn on the disruptor field, ordered by Revan, where the PCs get wind of their plans of invading the Core Worlds, but in the process Carth is killed.

With a new ship made from a mix match of parts, a small team of survivors blast off into space to stop Revan, Bastila and the Sith. Too their surprise the Star Forge is no longer in system for it went with the Sith Fleet, closer to the Front Lines to feed Revan a continuous stream of reinforcements readily available.

At least that is how I would start it out. Just a rough premise but I just thought to toss it out there. How would any of you guys start the sequel?