KotOR2 confirmed at 1Up.com

1Up.com has confirmed KotOR2 is underway at Obsidian:

Knights Of The Old Republic 2 In June EGM

3/19/2004

For the first time in...well, ever, perhaps, the most anticipated of console RPG sequels may not be a Japanese game. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2 could be as big or bigger than any Final Fantasy, and the next issue of Electronic Gaming Monthly will be the first place you can see it.

Knights of the Old Republic 2 will be revealed in the June issue of EGM, as part of a split cover story with Computer Gaming World. Be sure to check out both issues -- hitting stands in late April -- for the full story on the latest production from Obsidian Entertainment and LucasArts.

http://www.1up.com/article2/0,2053,1551717,00.asp

It turn up that the game is not solely developed by Obsidian, but "co-developed by BioWare and Obsidian Entertainment"!.

Finally we see them working together again since the days of early development of NWN!?.

1Up is owned by Ziff Davis Media -- along with the magazines EGM and CGW which they say will have this as a cover story. It seems reasonable to me that 1Up knows about the cover story from sister publications and it also seems likely that Ziff Davis would only undertake a cover story with support from LucasArts / BioWare etc. So, perhaps it's not an official announcement -- but it's a little more than a casual rumour in my opinion.

OXM was the one that made the KotOR2 rumors.

I remenber when the "FF remakes" rumors started and many people (including news websites) help spred those rumors.

Now the Games page says:

Obsidian Entertainment is currently working on an unannounced role-playing game for PC and console systems.

I certainly hope that one of those consoles is not a Xbox because we all know were that usually leads ... six months waiting for the PC verion.

drakron.png

I am so disappointed with Obsidian. I thought they were do something that would be worthwhile and not a Bioware-hand-me-down. Oh well. I guess they aren't up to the task of making something original.

If they fix the flaws in Knights I will be fairly happy. I'm expecting more of the same however, and yeah, I feel a bit sorry for Obsidian, never good to start your first game off from a hand me down.

Boss: You're fired.

Me: Ummm will you let me have my job if I dance for you?

Boss: No, I don't think so-

Me: JUST LET ME DANCE

*Dances*

Agreed, a good game, but its "flaws" subtracts from the overall impression and reduces it to above average. That being said, I definitely enjoyed it and never regretted for a minute the time spent playing it. Wonder if that Odyssey engine could be used for Warhammer 40K CRPG, that would be cool. Starting out as a Necromunda ganger and working your way up in the hive city... :p

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I am so disappointed with Obsidian. I thought they were do something that would be worthwhile and not a Bioware-hand-me-down. Oh well. I guess they aren't up to the task of making something original.

Xan... is that you? :p

Possibly no staying power because the replayability is limited. The story is the same, visiting planets in a different order doesnt change the story. And if you did all the sub-missions the first time around they wont change the second time.

Thing is kotor was like an interactive movie.. great the first time around.. but after you've watched it the first time it does nothing for you second time.

I think if its a sequel it really shouldnt continue on the same storyline or characters.. its the engine , style and gamespace that should be sequential.. theres a million storylines you could go with.. Theres a lot of star-wars universe books written out there all telling different story parts from various perspectives, theres a lot to base stuff on out there.

I REALLY dont want to see REVAN again, however much I liked the story the first time around and the character interaction therein. Just like I dont want to see jar-jar again (for a different reason :) )

This is good news if true. And with all the rumors now pointing towards KotOR2 I'd be surprised if it wasn't. Not an actual confirmation, I agree, but as close as you can get.

Obsidian making the sequel almost guarantees that their first game is successful. A solid foundation for a new company. KotOR 2 will sell by the truckload.

KotOR is an immensly popular game, on both PC & Xbox. You could do a lot worse than a sequel. I don't see it as a Bioware hand-me-down at all - more like a vote of confidence.

Anyway, let's wait and see. Confirmation, or denial, is just around the corner.

The sooner the better. The knowledge that obsidian is working on Kotor2 is great news. Kotor had its fair share of probs. but it was still a hell of a fun game to play. If they can reach the heights with it's sequel, they reached with fallout and fallout 2, then we're all in for a treat.

I think if its a sequel it really shouldnt continue on the same storyline or characters..

Yes, I think you're right. You could still have references to the original story, Revan & Bastila, and maybe even reuse certain characters (HK-47.. :) ) but it's not a good idea to directly continue the story. It would be quite tricky anyway, since the ending was very different for light or dark. How would the sequel start after that?