NWN2: Major disappointment - Character creation

Riftworm

I'm also curious what exactly "proper length female hair" is supposed to be.  :lol: ... That's rhetorical...don't answer. hah

Clean sha.. Oh, rhetorical. Nevermind. :)

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

And is there some reason why this face/hair issue can't be resolved through the community / additional patches? Somebody's bound to at least attempt it, and plenty of people are going to succeed.

If the gripe is that the engine itself makes everybody ugly, most of the people in Oblivion were pretty ass-faced. You get over these things, else you're just fussy :lol:

I wonder, is it really fair to compare NWN2 to NWN as it is today? I mean, NWN 1.69 is a hell of a long way removed from 1.0. For example, after 5 years we have unlockable cameras, ridable horses, CEP, etc, etc, etc, etc. All of which were done by modders or Bioware keeping up with modders. If there are aspects about the game you don't like, just wait a bit. Bugs? They'll be fixed. Heck the game has aready had a patch so we are off to a great start. With the exceptions of new animations (going to be hard to get around that one) there will be haks and overrides aplenty within the coming weeks. Don't sweat the reviews of beta versions, or early concerns about charachter gen. Just buy the game. Like I told someone else once, you can blow $50 US on three pitchers of beer and an order of hot wings and not get half as much enjoyment out of it.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

\While Oblivion is hardly a masterpiece it has nevertheless set a new standard for what is expected of the basic functions of a CRPG of this type.

Bingo!

The days of a crpg being cut slack because it may be butt-ugly but that's OK because its a CRPG! are over.

We interact with our world visually and with todays 3d graphics capabilties there's no excuses for not making something that looks good.

Are good-looking pcs the most important thing to a crpg. No, probably not. Are they AN important thing? Absolutely.

For all except the hard-core role-players among us, of course, whose greatness I can only envy.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I'm also curious what exactly "proper length female hair" is supposed to be.  :mellow: ... That's rhetorical...don't answer. hah

Ill answer anyway because my obsession with female hair forces me to! :-"

Female humanoids must have atleast shoulderlength hair. The shorter it is, the less attractive they become until its by the ears at which time my brain dont even register them as female. Its kind of odd.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I like women with short hair. Does that make me gay?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I'm also curious what exactly "proper length female hair" is supposed to be.  :mellow: ... That's rhetorical...don't answer. hah

Ill answer anyway because my obsession with female hair forces me to! :-"

Female humanoids must have atleast shoulderlength hair. The shorter it is, the less attractive they become until its by the ears at which time my brain dont even register them as female. Its kind of odd.

Actually proper female hair length is about half an inch or a tad more than one cm.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Nope, it just makes you less confined by outdated ideas of gender roles and sexuality.  And perhaps less desperate to have people argue with you, and therefore pay attention to you.

Good answer! :mellow:

Edited by Pidesco

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

This is strange, Oblivion gets a 9 or a 10 with nil roleplaying options, avarage story, no partymembers to enhance the atmosphere and zero replayability but NWN2 which apparantly has a incredible story, interesting partymembers, multiplayer ability, great roleplaying and alot of replayability gets an 8?

The thing here is that Oblivion is a very different style of game from NWN2. I'd even go as far as call it a different genre altogether. It's much more of a sandbox game than an RPG really. It is basically a fantasy version of GTA more than anything else (minus the excessive language and violence). From that perspective, roleplaying options, party members and replayability really doesn't come into it. What matters is gameplay and a sense of exploration. And it does those things well, I think. Which is why it deserved it's high scores. It's not for everyone (hell, I hated the previous TES games), but for those into that type of game, it is fantastic.

Just like NWN2 shouldn't be looked at with the same considerations as F.E.A.R., Oblivion shouldn't be looked at in the same way as NWN2.

Oh, another thing. As far as replayability is concerned, Oblivion's lack thereof is greatly exaggerated. It certainly isn't any less replayable than say the IWD games (or Diablo). It all depends on how you go about your first playthrough. If you run about, doing all quests, learning all skills you can and clean out every single dungeon, then sure there won't be much reason to play it again. But if you mostly follow the main quest and stick to your class skills, then there is plenty reason to play the game again. A stealthy archer plays much differently compared to a savage fighter or a cunning mage. The thing is you CAN experience all three of these styles during your first romp through the game if you want to, but you certainly don't have to.

there's no excuses for not making something that looks good.

3d graphics are extremely expensive and time consuming, so much so there's often no resource left for creating an actual game. Case in point, first person shooters.

If Oblivion really set the standard in CRPGs then they just gave the whole genre a killing blow.

Edited by Lyric Suite

Im not arguing here, Im just explaining the weird cognitive functions of my brain. Its a completely subconscious thing, although very noticeable. Im not saying that girls should be forced to have their hair long*

*Its perfectly acceptable to wear a wig as long as its of good quality

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I have to agree with Big Green.

Dark Raven, first you complain about we don't have NWN 2 forums here and not direct someone to another site for those who wanting to discuss the game, for good or ill?  If we are to discuss NWN 2 here it has to be both the good aspects of the game and the notso good aspects as well.

Complaints go to the link provided. Not a difficult concept to grasp. General NWN2 chat should/is reserved for here.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

What matters is gameplay and a sense of exploration. And it does those things well

When every creature in the game scales with you, when every item found or contained is randomized to said level, and when every cave, forest and city looks the same, what's the incentive for exploring? How is that well done?

Edited by Lyric Suite

I'm sure people would rather be playing than posting...most of us don't have that option yet tho. :D

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Nope, it just makes you less confined by outdated ideas of gender roles and sexuality.

So are we going to be able to have a gay love affair in NWN2? :mellow: That'd be pretty progressive, at least relative to most game romances out there.

I played a same-gender plot in a NwN CEP mod.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Nope, it just makes you less confined by outdated ideas of gender roles and sexuality.

So are we going to be able to have a gay love affair in NWN2? :- That'd be pretty progressive, at least relative to most game romances out there.

Sasme sex romances would give the game an M rating.

Same sex romance = bad

Wow we have a dev posting here? Nothing happening at Bioware? :mellow:

2010spaceships.jpg

If Oblivion really set the standard in CRPGs then they just gave the whole genre a killing blow.

Oh stop it. :mellow:

drama!

whether 3d graphics are expensive and resource consuming or not is irrelevant. gfx standards for major gaming releases are what they are. If Microprose were to publish XCOM today it would be laughed out of the building as a tremendous joke even though it would still be the same great game.

Time was, a developer could make a crpg that was uglier than the current gfx standard, because it was just accepted that price had to be paid for a crpg dev cycle. That's not true anymore.

Note here that I am talking about commercial game releases from major developers and publishers.

For the record, I've only posted on the Obsidian forums.  There are plenty of other Obsidian folks posting at Bioware, so I throw my two cents in here.

I notice your fellow colleagues posting more over there than here. Makes a Obsidian fan girl angry.

I enjoy seeing devs post here. Too bad the others don't. :(

Joe rules. :)

2010spaceships.jpg