Food glorious food

Walsingham

I thought a food thread might be nice.

My signature roast lamb is quite simply:

1 leg of lamb

two or three tablespoons of DARK marmalade

carrots and potatoes

Black pepper to taste

Coat the lamb leg in the marmalade and wrap in tin foil. Roast at a low heat for about half the total time necessary for its weight.

Meanwhile, part boil the veg for about five minutes.

Remove lamb from oven, remove tinfoil. Insert veg around lam leg and return to oven. cook until veg is ready. Dust wih black pepper to taste and serve with large knives and no forks.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I did cream of mushroom soup about a month ago.

Butter into pot

Saute chopped mushrooms and onion (actually releases a lot of liquid when cooked)

Stir in flour

Salt and pepper

Stir in chicken stock

Stir in heavy cream

Keep it on simmer but not boil throughout.

Spreading beauty with my katana.

I'll just bolster this topic with the recipes from the old thread.

Spicy Blue Cheese Burger

2 lbs. Ground Beef

1/4 cup chopped onion

3 Tbsp Tabasco or equivalent

2 Tbsp Honey

1 Tbsp garilc salt

1 tsp crushed red pepper

1 tsp back pepper

6 ounces Blue Cheese, cut into 6 pieces (burgers are good without the cheese too!)

6 buns, toasted

6 portobello mushrooms slices, grilled

6 slices tomatoes, lightly grilled

Pre-heat grill to medium-high heat. Combine first 7 ingredients in a bowl, mix well. Make six patties out of that, if using cheese, form patties around chunks of blue cheese. Grill 8-10 minutes. Place tomatoes and mushrooms on top. Serve with toasted bun

Peri Peri Chicken

INGREDIENTS:

* 1/4 cup paprika

* 2 tablespoons hot chilli powder

* 1 cup fresh lemon juice

* 3 cloves garlic, minced

* 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh ginger

* 1 1/2 teaspoons salt

* 4 bone-in chicken breast halves

DIRECTIONS:

1. In a large bowl, stir together the paprika, chilli powder, lemon juice, garlic, ginger and salt. Rub chicken with the mixture, place in a dish, and marinate for 3 hours.

2. Preheat a grill for medium heat.

3. Place chicken onto the grill and discard the marinade. Cook for about 30 minutes, turning occasionally, until the skin is slightly charred and juices run clear.

Chicken-thigh chilli

(very approximate measurements)

Start with about a pound and a half of boneless, skinless chicken thighs. Saut

I like threads like these...I'd post something but I don't follow actual recipies, I just start tossing things into a pan. I might be able to make them into something one could follow, but...

The most common thing I cook these days is stir fried beef and sometimes fried rice, using various vegies depending on my mood. Freeze the beef and then partially de-thaw for easy thin-slicing. I use my own homemade teriyaki sauce as the base marinade, which is essentially just soy sauce with about 1 part sugar to maybe 3 parts soy sauce - 3/4 cup soy sauce, add sugar to reach 1 cup - and garlic to taste.

I used to make a pretty good oven-baked beef stew too, with potatoes and onions carrots and mushrooms but I haven't done it in a long time.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I just copy this, i can't describe it better (or find better)

Budapest features an increasingly diverse range of restaurants to go along with those older (read: formerly state-owned) and more traditional eateries that have stood the test of time. Ethnic restaurants have appeared on the scene in the last decade; you'll find Korean, Indian, Middle Eastern, Greek, Mexican, and Thai restaurants in the city. Of course, most tourists understandably want to sample authentic Hungarian food while in Budapest. In this city, traditional fare runs the gamut from greasy to gourmet; there are few palates that can't be pleased here. Budapest is gaining a reputation for good dining at reasonable prices, so live it up.

Where to Eat --

IB1OsQq.png

I can make a mean (yet mild) vegetarian chili. I'm no vegetarian (mmm dead animal flesh) but this is srsly good.

1 onion, thinly sliced

1/2 green bell pepper, diced

2 tablespoons butter or margarine (or vegetable oil, for the pot)

1 clove garlic, minced

2 tablespoons chili powder

1 can of whole tomatoes, crushed

1 can corn

3 cups cooked / canned beans (kidney or black)

1 1/2 cups shredded cheese (I discourage using strong cheddar)

As much brown rice as you please

1/2 cup green onions, chopped (optional)

salt / pepper to taste

(1) Saute onion and pepper in butter until tender but not brown.

(2) Stir in garlic and chili powder.

(3) Add tomatoes and beans and season with salt / pepper as much as needed. Simmer 10 minutes, adding the corn about halfway in as to avoid overcooking.

(4) Stir in rice (you can also pour the chili over the rice, but I add the rice into the chili to create a mixture) add cheese as desired, stirring to distribute.

(5) Serve.

Mmmm, I want some right now.

Here's a good Italian dressing for a salad:

• crush some raw garlic (I use from two cloves upto an entire bulb, depending on prevailing health and dating prognosis);
  • tablespoon of mustard (I use wholeseed);
  • tablespoon of white wine vinegar (use any vinegar, even balsamic);
  • lemon flesh and juice to taste (I use about a half lemon, all the juice and pith and some zest);
  • salt and cracked black pepper to taste; and
  • six tablespoons of virgin first-cold-press olive oil.

Don't breathe on anyone (except tax collectors etc) for a couple of days.

I wash this over a salad, like:

• leaves (lettuces and others, like rocquette, maybe even baby spinach);
  • avocado;
  • beetroot;
  • celery;
  • maybe some tomatoes, carrots, corn nibblets, walnuts, sultanas, etc, anything tasty.

Also add warm grilled chicken (e.g. seasoned with soy) as well.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Um, I use that amount for dinner. For me. :D

Then again, I eat large portions, like 200g dry weight of spaghetti boiled and added to cold olive oil impregnated with tabasco and with added capers (or olives, artichoke hearts, sun dried tomatoes, etc). For dinner.

The dressing recipe ends up making about a cup (250ml): the largest part is the six tablespoons of oil.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

That dressing would also work over toast and sliced tomato for bruschetta.

My favourite winter soup is as follows:

Fry pig bits (If you don't have a good butcher just use bacon) in a large pan with onions and garlic (crushed) until the bacon is crispy.

Add a bit of stock (lamb is good) to the level of the amount of soup you need. Also squeeze in some tomato puree if you have any.

Stir in red lentils and some oregano. Turn down the heat low.

After five minutes add a tablespoon of smooth peanut butter and a healthy heaping of fresh ground black pepper.

Cook on a low heat until the lentils either break up or you get bored and they begin to burn.

This recipe requires virtually no skill, and results in an incredibly filling and cheap soup. If you are all fancy pants you can serve with white toasted bread spread thinly with mustard.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I'm good with a microwave. :thumbsup:"

My other half does the cooking, he enjoys it and I enjoy eating it. He prefers that I stay out of the kitchen when he is in there cooking.

Edited by Dark_Raven

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

Making tacos. :)

One of the things you must do after the meat has browned and you add the taco seasoning is to let it sit and simmer for 20-30 minutes. This gives it a chance for the meat to absorb the seasoning and making for a tasty dish. Mix in some Spanish rice and hot sauce, yummy.

Edited by Dark_Raven

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

apparently i bake really good cakes

i wouldn't know, they're always all gone before i get a chance to try them...

i don't trust recipes. every time i follow one it turns out really bad. i just chuck in whatever is at hand and it turns out tasty :p

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

No recipe at the moment; I'd just like to state my opinion that no kitchen should be without a copy of Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything. Lots of good recipes, yes, but it's key strength is the descriptive techniques for a huge variety of cooking (mostly European/American style, but there are some more exotic offerings, too). For an everyday home cook, it covers all the bases and is well-written to boot.

My signature roast lamb is quite simply:

1 leg of lamb

two or three tablespoons of DARK marmalade

carrots and potatoes

Black pepper to taste

Marmalade with lamb?! >_< You Brits...

come think of it.. my lamb isnt really a recipe:

Cut the lamb into tiny bits, fry together with chopped garlic and plenty of butter. The primary ingredient is rosemary which you sprinkle over the lamb together with salt when you begin to fry so itll really flavour the grease. When yore done frying the lamb you just make a plain sauce with the cooking grease as base.

And dont try to make some gourmet **** out of it, its supposed to be greasy and satisfying. Like a fancy version of bacon&beans.

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

pig bits

>_<:(

@ Kaftan - depends how the marmalade is used - perhaps the marmalade is spread over it as a coating before roastin in the oven. Wouldn't be much different from coating meat with BBQ sauce or an orange or lemon mariande, maybe. Tho, if W. meant marmalade as a side bit to dip the meat in...yeah, ok, I'd find that personally odd. :o

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I strongly dislike the notion of sweets(or sours) in my food. I absolutely hate BBQ marinades with honey or similar in them, not to mention Thai food which is unedible.

It's like the ancient Swedish conflict wether you eat mustard or applemash to your christmas ham. Im obviously a mustard man, and I know of a local restaurant where the owner will actually kick you out if you ask for applemash to the ham at the Christmas dinner sm

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "