NWN2 Discussion Thread

roshan

"neither keen or wepon of impact spells seem to work."

They don't stack with improved critical or the WM special ability sadly. This happens a lot. Many spells become useless because of the 'overlap' rule.

they don't work... period. am playing a paladin/cleric w/o improved critical feat for any weapon... and we can reads the rolls as well as anybody else. keen edges and weapon of impact do nothing.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

"Are you sure the Paladin wasn't suddenly confused or charmed?"

*sigh*

sure we is positive. happens All The Time. grobnar casts sound burst or balagarn's iron horn on any enemy he possibly can, regardless of whether or not Gromnir or casavir is standing right next to the enemy in question. casavir then goes rabid and attacks grobnar.

all the time. every battle.

we can always turn casavir around and makes him stop flattening the gnome, but it is a pain in the arse to have to micromanage that sort of nonsense. is simply easier to go full puppet mode.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Or turn off his magic use. That is what I do for all magic using NPCs. I cast their spells manually.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Or turn off his magic use.  That is what I do for all magic using NPCs.  I cast their spells manually.

wow, what a marvelous solution you comes up with. 'course, for magic using characters how is your solution functional different from puppet mode? in puppet mode characters still tag along, but in combat they does nothing.

again, we not mind terribly 'bout having to use puppet mode, but caster ai IS yet another thing that not work in this game.

oh, and don't get us started on potions use by joinables. wish that there were some way to address potion use by npcs... potion use specifically. we know that we can keeps npcs from using magic items (though some still uses potions anyways it seems,) but the behavior tabs is a bit... lacking.

oh, and for roshan... resolution makes considerable difference. we is down at 1024 and things run better. textures, on the other hand, makes almost 0 difference for us. adjust resolution and turn off shadows makes game playable w/o being optimal, but textures adjustments does 0 for us.

HA! Good Fun!

Alright, broke down in a moment of 'huh-wha?' and downloaded the patch. Backed up my folders and fired away. Install failed even though I'm fully up to date according to the game's update feature. No mods installed, just a few tweaked 2DA files.

I've seen it mentioned before, but I'm not going to jump through hoops to fix it. Obsidian can fix it, when they're done getting drunk and destroying a few thousand more programmer brain cells tonight.

Paraphrased...

"Old file not found, but file with same name exists. Not patching because file contents don't match: c_silver_sword_attack.utc"

"Install Failed"

:)

Ah well, no harm done, and I got a cheap laugh at Obsidian's expense. Way to go guys.

Or turn off his magic use.  That is what I do for all magic using NPCs.  I cast their spells manually.

oh, and don't get us started on potions use by joinables. wish that there were some way to address potion use by npcs... potion use specifically. we know that we can keeps npcs from using magic items (though some still uses potions anyways it seems,) but the behavior tabs is a bit... lacking.

I turned off all the use items/use magics tabs for all my followers but Elanee still drank every single one of my potions when I wasn't looking, and I mean every one. The only solution was to give all the potions to someone who is permanently in puppet mode (ie my caster).

The problem with turning off both spellcasting and puppet mode is that spellcasting NPCs will then behave like warriors and charge into melee stupidly. You will then have to constantly move them away from the enemies, but then they will just run right back at them.

again, we not mind terribly 'bout having to use puppet mode, but caster ai IS yet another thing that not work in this game.

When I first got Qara she kept roasting my party members with lightning bolts, and I had her at the lowest possible casting level. I then turned on puppet mode for her.

However at higher levels characters (my PC and Khelgar) normally will have decent resistance EQ such as rings and pretty high HP. So I just put my spellcasters (Sand and Elanee) on powered casting and let them do whatever they want. Most of the combat is quite easy and it just keeps getting easier as the game progresses. I hardly ever had to micromanage anything.

I turned off all the use items/use magics tabs for all my followers but Elanee still drank every single one of my potions when I wasn't looking, and I mean every one. The only solution was to give all the potions to someone who is permanently in puppet mode (ie my caster).

Yes, it was quite irritating that characters still drank potions when they werent in puppet mode even though item usage was turned off. Once I got used to the liberal resting system I just sold all my potions and thus put an end to that annoyance.

"Are you sure the Paladin wasn't suddenly confused or charmed?"

*sigh*

sure we is positive.  happens All The Time.  grobnar casts sound burst or balagarn's iron horn on any enemy he possibly can, regardless of whether or not Gromnir or casavir is standing right next to the enemy in question.  casavir then goes rabid and attacks grobnar.

all the time.  every battle. 

we can always turn casavir around and makes him stop flattening the gnome, but it is a pain in the arse to have to micromanage that sort of nonsense.  is simply easier to go full puppet mode.

No need for the "sigh" because what you describe happens to me None Of The Time, hence why I asked my question.

As for Weapon of Impact, maybe you're talking about the actual rolls in the console, but it sure looksl ike it works for me:

Those in puppet mode never charged into melee for me. They often stayed exactly where I placed them.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

first issue is that we ain't given a safe place to store loot. after chapter 1 ends a bunch o' places is no longer reachable...

There will be a stable base of operations available to you in Act II, so at least that'll be fixed.

also, to change party members (and their inventories) one must exit inn. 

While the procedure will be the same, this will improve a little once you change base of operations. You still have to exit the area to change party, but exiting brings up the world map where you can simply cancel and stay at the area. Fine for just switching stuff between NPCs at least.

dr and armour bonuses is... screwy.  bracers o' defense should not stack with magical plate.  the best magical bracers gives you an armour bonus of +8... which is what plate armour gives.  is complete different from ENHANCEMENT bonus.

I personally don't have any thoughts on the actual issue, since I'm not familiar with 3.5 rules enough. I have seen the logic used by people defending this choice and it is as follows. Apparently armor have two sets of AC modifiers. On one hand it has it's base armor value, which is a static number, ie 8 in the case of a full plate. Then it has it's magical armor bonus, which is an added value, ie +5 or whatever. The bracers provide an armor bonus which is functionally different from armor value. Two armor bonuses don't stack so only the highest of the one from armor or bracers is used. Regardless of which armor bonus is used, it still stacks with the armor value.

I don't know if this is the way it's supposed to work in 3.5, but it is the way it works in NWN2.

crafting w/o xp costs is ridiculous.  can outfit entie party with some serious hardcore weapons and stat boosters early in game. 

Personally I hate XP costs in crafting, so the current system suits me fine. There is a limit to how much of the best gear you can craft though and that is the availability of gemstones. I think there are only 6-7 blue diamonds, 2-4 Rogue Stones and 3-5 King's Tears available in the game and that puts a fairly hard limit on how many of the more hardcore stuff you can do. Enough to give everyone +5 weapons, sure (unless you have multiple dual wielders) but you only get to full equip one character with the absolute best.

You can proably do a lot more +3 and +4 stuff though, but there is plenty of equipment of that level available in the game so it really makes little difference. Also, I don't think that crafting the supreme gear impacts difficulty of the game overly much compared to only using in-game stuff.

I'm not sure at all how this happened.  How on Earth were you able to even hurt a non-hostile NPC?  I have nuked my own party numerous times and my NPC companions have never decided to start attacking me.  I don't even think I can force them to attack myself.  Are you sure the Paladin wasn't suddenly confused or charmed?

Alan, you're playing on normal difficulty, right? On hardcore, you can definitely hurt your own party with AoE spells. I've never actually had anyone go hostile though (but I have had them go down on a few occasions, damned evasion characters for failing their reflex rolls).

Edited by Spider

Alan, you're playing on normal difficulty, right? On hardcore, you can definitely hurt your own party with AoE spells. I've never actually had anyone go hostile though (but I have had them go down on a few occasions, damned evasion characters for failing their reflex rolls).

I know you can hurt your own party, but you can't specifically target one of your allies and start attacking them with a melee attack.

alan, the part of the quote I was mostly responding to was "I'm not sure at all how this happened. How on Earth were you able to even hurt a non-hostile NPC?". That seemed to be about AoE spells to me.

But no, when it comes ta targeting allies that seems to be a big no-no. Well apart from a couple of specific instances.

Personally I hate XP costs in crafting, so the current system suits me fine. There is a limit to how much of the best gear you can craft though and that is the availability of gemstones. I think there are only 6-7 blue diamonds, 2-4 Rogue Stones and 3-5 King's Tears available in the game and that puts a fairly hard limit on how many of the more hardcore stuff you can do. Enough to give everyone +5 weapons, sure (unless you have multiple dual wielders) but you only get to full equip one character with the absolute best.

There are actually at least 6 King's Tears in the game. :thumbsup:

Really? I think I found three my last playthrough, but it could be four. And I know it's quite possible I missed one in Castle Neverwinter due to lack of lockpicking skills. But I thought I got all valuable gems outside of that. Unless Sand's inventory resets, never went to his shop before he joined tha party. Or if one of the keep merchants I didn't got has one. Although my point still stands (depending on how many items you want Bracers +8, Strength +8 or Energy resistances +30 on)

Edited by Spider

Really? I think I found three my last playthrough, but it could be four. And I know it's quite possible I missed one in Castle Neverwinter due to lack of lockpicking skills. But I thought I got all valuable gems outside of that. Unless Sand's inventory resets, never went to his shop before he joined tha party. Or if one of the keep merchants I didn't got has one. Although my point still stands (depending on how many items you want Bracers +8, Strength +8 or Energy resistances +30 on)

I think I found a couple late in Act 3 at the two new merchants that pop up in Neverwinter Merchant's district. This is my current inventory.

inventorymg0.th.jpg

I've already used at least three Blue Diamonds and at least one Rogue Stone that I can remember. Might have used a few other things, but I can't recall. :)

Meh. The only thing that really keeps him alive is his AC. The only thing that really manages to hit him is boss characters or the lucky critical hit. If it's just the lucky crit, he's usually managed to heal up back to full before the next hit thanks to his ring of regen. :bat: I actually botched his weapons earlier when I screwed up the enchantments. <_<

post-3491-1164384375_thumb.jpg

Edited by Deraldin