NWN2 Discussion Thread

roshan

Hot Damn!

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Well, I am getting 30 to 40 frames per second on 1400 x 1050 resolution. Graphics are not a problem for me.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

I got the game a couple of days ago and I'm having a lot of fun with it. I did discover however that my DnD knowledge isn't quite as extensive as it used to be. I could use some help in how I should proceed in making a decent Eldritch Knight. Has anyone played as one and what are the most important things to remember when making/playing one?

You need to be able to cast level 3 spells, a good class to start off in is wizard. Throw in a few levels of fighter so you can gain some of the fighter feats. This is what I did.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

I got the game a couple of days ago and I'm having a lot of fun with it. I did discover however that my DnD knowledge isn't quite as extensive as it used to be. I could use some help in how I should proceed in making a decent Eldritch Knight. Has anyone played as one and what are the most important things to remember when making/playing one?

You need to be able to cast level 3 spells, a good class to start off in is wizard. Throw in a few levels of fighter so you can gain some of the fighter feats. This is what I did.

Two levels of fighter would be best. You still get 9th level spells, but you also get the 4th attack. o:)

Would it be a good idea to exchange those fighter levels for rogue levels instead in order to get more skillpoints and access to more skills? I could always add the needed feats later on.

btw, Obsidian agrees with those who say that NWN2 camera is not exactly like NWN camera, and are now changing it to make it closer.... yet people will still claim the NWN2 camera is 100% exactly like the NWN1 camera. LOL

Anyways, I'm glad Obsidian is truly committed to NWN2. I'm glad my doubts before the release seem to be in error.

Cool beans. :cool:

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Would it be a good idea to exchange those fighter levels for rogue levels instead in order to get more skillpoints and access to more skills? I could always add the needed feats later on.

if you get 2 levels of rogues, you have much more skill points (if you start as a rogue even more), and Evasion too.

IB1OsQq.png

The problem is that you need quite a lot of feats since you will probably want to take both spellcasting and melee feats. Under normal circumstances you can only have 7 feats total, which IMO is way too little.

Sun Elf is a good choice if you want to focus on magic, otherwise I would go for a normal human or even a moon elf. Being a human will give you an extra skill point per level and will also give you another feat. It will also allow you to avoid the XP penalty. I believe sun elfs favored class is wizard, and perhaps moon elf as well, if so then that will also allow you to avoid the XP penalty and is another point in favor of choosing elves.

I would take at least 2 fighter levels since thats 2 free feats, and you cant go wrong with that. For the remaining levels, 10 wizard and 8 eldritch knight is optimal because you would get 2 bonus spellcasting feats from the wizard levels.

You can always use your companions for the skills. Also, dont forget that wizards have high intelligence which translates to LOTS of free skillpoints. As you level and boost your INT you will keep racking up the skillpoints. Also the rogue level will lead to you having an XP penalty as an elf, and I assume that an EK build would need to level up fairly quickly, so that leaves human as the best option. IMO there is no use for the rogue levels.

I believe that there is a feat called practiced spellcaster or something like that which will increase your spellcasting levels by upto 4. If you take that then you might want to only take 7 levels of EK, and take 1 level of whatever class you feel will help you. However I dont know if this feat is even really available or if it is bugged or something.

Edited by roshan

The problem is that you need quite a lot of feats since you will probably want to take both spellcasting and melee feats. Under normal circumstances you can only have 7 feats total, which IMO is way too little.

Sun Elf is a good choice if you want to focus on magic, otherwise I would go for a normal human or even a moon elf. Being a human will give you an extra skill point per level and will also give you another feat. It will also allow you to avoid the XP penalty. I believe sun elfs favored class is wizard, and perhaps moon elf as well, if so then that will also allow you to avoid the XP penalty and is another point in favor of choosing elves.

I would take at least 2 fighter levels since thats 2 free feats, and you cant go wrong with that. For the remaining levels, 10 wizard and 8 eldritch knight is optimal because you would get 2 bonus spellcasting feats from the wizard levels.

You can always use your companions for the skills. Also, dont forget that wizards have high intelligence which translates to LOTS of free skillpoints. As you level and boost your INT you will keep racking up the skillpoints. Also the rogue level will lead to you having an XP penalty as an elf, and I assume that an EK build would need to level up fairly quickly, so that leaves human as the best option. IMO there is no use for the rogue levels.

I believe that there is a feat called practiced spellcaster or something like that which will increase your spellcasting levels by upto 4. If you take that then you might want to only take 7 levels of EK, and take 1 level of whatever class you feel will help you. However I dont know if this feat is even really available or if it is bugged or something.

Interesting, thanks for the information. Should I start as a Wizard for the skillpoints or should I go for Fighter to get the extra feats, as my starting class?

Roshan:

Taking 10 levels of wizard instead of 10 in EK only get's you one bonus spellcasting feat that you wouldn't get with Wiz8/EK10. The downside to that is that you don't get a fourth attack at level 20. If you switch those around and max out the EK levels along with your 2 levels of fighter that get's you that elusive 4th attack/round. I never really bothered with any of the spellcasting feats except for extend spell. I always had a couple extended hastes on Sand. By the time I ran through them both I usually needed to rest anyway.

The practiced spellcaster feat is apparently bugged, or so I heard several people over on the bioboards claim.

Other than that I agree with the rest of your advice. The only skills you can't rely on your companions for are the conversation skills. :rolleyes:

I really hope I see a noticable improvement in frame rate. The way the game runs on my system compared with other games that look much more impressive is just pathetic. NWN 2 looks like a late 2004 game but runs like a next gen 2007 game  :rolleyes:.

Well it look like a 2004 game when all graphics are on low, but if everything's maxed out, it does look next-gen, particularly the self-shadowing on characters.

Ah, the days where you'd walk your cha-high sorcerer in the front, just in case someone would come talk to you....

or shoot arrows into the sorcerer's face. :rolleyes:

Deraldin, you get an extra attack every 6 BAB, right? AFAIK wizards get 1/2 BAB per level so with 8 levels of wizard, you lose 4 BAB out of a possible 20, which means no 4th attack which comes at BAB 18.

Or have I got BAB progression wrong? Has it been changed in 3.5?

My favourite spellcasting feat by far is enhance spell! Empower is also awesome. His character might also want to go for some crafting feats.

Berserk, wizards and fighters get the same amount of skill points at the beginning, however, it would be better to start as a wizard. Most of the skills you will be using such as concentration and spellcraft are class skills of the wizard, so you can put 4 points in them at character creation, whereas if you were a fighter you would only be able to put 2 points, and it would cost you double.

Also, the first two levels you get come within about 30 minutes of character creation, so you will be able to take fighter levels and get the bonus feats soon enough.

Edited by roshan

I had forgotten that Diplomacy wasn't on either the Wizards or the Fighters skill list. Would getting Able Learner help me much with increasing my Diplomacy or is there a way to make Diplomacy a class skill through a Feat or so?

Able Learner will make it easier to raise the skill if it's not a class skill, and unless you've got a lot of points each level, it's worth it for some of the skills.

You can buy skill focus feats that give a further +3 bonus to it.

Other than taking a class with the skill, you can't turn it into a class skill.