Fallout 3 Lead Designer info

aVENGER

According to DAC and RPGCodex Emil Pagliarulo is the Lead Designer of Bethesda's Fallout 3.

Anyway, I've been the lead designer on Fallout 3 for quite some time now. It's not exactly the type of offer you turn down, you know? And no, I really can't say anything about anything. But I just wanted to pop on and say hi.

IMHO, he's a fairly talented guy as he did some awesome levels in the Thief games and was also responsible for the Dark Brotherhood quests in Oblivion, as far as I know. Despite all that, I still have less then a spark of hope that Bethesda's FO3 will be a worthy successor to the franchise. At best, it'll turn into some kind of a Deus Ex/Oblivion/Fallout mixture which might be enjoyable on its own terms, but I doubt it's going to be even close to the prequels or the canceled BIS version. <_<

Edited by aVENGER

I think its alot better that they let him have it rather than one of the really worn-in TEW types who would turn it into "Oblivion with guns" without doubt

I never got around to doing the DB quests in Oblivion, seemed a bit our-of-character for a "chosen one" godchild to go around whacking people for money and evil.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I never got around to doing the DB quests in Oblivion, seemed a bit our-of-character for a "chosen one" godchild to go around whacking people for money and evil.

I borrowed a colleagues Oblivion for about a week and gave it a try. Played as a woodelf assassin, doing quite a few of the DB quests. The quests themselves werent so bad, but the general bad writing and atrocious dialogue of the game quickly killed any joy I might have gotten from it. Nice gfx, bad music, impressive size, unfortunately filled with nothing :lol:

Gave the game back to my colleague and thanked him for saving me 45 Australian dollars (it's already half it's original retail price).

Poor, poor Fallout, what is going to happen to you... :p

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Out of all the people I know in Bethesda, Id have prefered him the most, so yeah, this is sorta good news for now. He certainly does have an eye for making interesting 'levels'.

Although, who knows what will happen 2 years from now. Ferrrrrrrecough.

BTW, although Emil is the Lead Designer he seems to be working closely with Todd "Axes are blunt weapons!" Howard on designing FO3. :ph34r: Link

For the purposes of Fallout 3, Todd and I have worked really closely on design. To be honest, Todd and I work really well together creatively; we share most of the same philosophies, and want the player to have the same kinds of experiences. So the overall design (setting, combat, story, quests, etc.) is mine, with a healthy dose of input from Todd (most of which I agree with anyway). Ultimately, Todd could have vetoed my entire design -- but very little of my original idea has changed. And the other designers work with the stuff Todd and I have established, and run with it -- often putting their own touches on things, as is expected.

On a more positive note, here's Emil's Bethesda profile.

Whatever happens there is no way he can make the fundamentalist crackpots who want a turn based game happy.

strangely enough, even by making the game turn based and having a graphical look like that of the previous fallout games, even then the fundamentalist crackpots still wouldn't be happy.

That's the problem with fallout fanboi's & gals.

They're an unhappy bunch.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

I borrowed a colleagues Oblivion for about a week and gave it a try. Played as a woodelf assassin, doing quite a few of the DB quests. The quests themselves werent so bad, but the general bad writing and atrocious dialogue of the game quickly killed any joy I might have gotten from it. Nice gfx, bad music, impressive size, unfortunately filled with nothing  :p

I know what you mean. I haven't played Oblivion and probably will not until I get a 360 but that is what I ran into with Fable...after having been spoiled rotten with excellent dialogue choices (and for your choices to actually mean something) in the KOTOR games and then have to sit through the ultra-flat dialogue of Fable, I mean, it just turned me off to the game. I may give it try later but once you've had KOTOR (and I assume FO)-style dialogue, it is really hard to go back.

Still, these following features would make me happy

[*]Real dialogue with fully written PC lines, and multiple ways to answer so you can actually roleplay

[*]A good, non-generic, non-clich

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I may give it try later but once you've had KOTOR (and I assume FO)-style dialogue, it is really hard to go back.

I'm not sure I would use Fallout and Kotor in the same sentence :D

They are very different types of dialogue and I much prefer the Fallout one.

I'm a Fallout fan, just not one of the militants :p

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I remember it was Troika who tried to get that license.

Yes Troika tried as well but Bethesda had the most funds so, in the end, the license went to them. As for Obsidian:

GB: Were any of you at Obsidian interested in acquiring the rights to Fallout 3 when they became available? What was your reaction to the news that Interplay had sold the rights to Bethesda Softworks?

Chris: I don't think it was ever an option that ever came up (I think it was offered to much higher bidders than we could hope to be) - and Bethesda totally works for me. Oblivion kicked a great deal of ass.

http://www.gamebanshee.com/interviews/fallout2-2.php

Yeah Oblivion didn't really solve the generic dialouge problems of Morrowind.

I would rather have no option to talk to everyone than finding out that they have nothing to say. At least that way you know that you are going to get something other than name, class, location, when you talk to somebody.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I expect Bethesda's Fallout be Fallout in name only. Oblivion with guns so to speak, in other words... crap. The style in which the first two Fallouts are completely different in the style in which Bethesda makes their games. I would rather have Bioware do Fallout over Bethesda. Obsidian would be the optimal choice.

Edited by Sand

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

I expect Bethesda's Fallout be Fallout in name only.  Oblivion with guns so to speak, in other words... crap.  The style in which the first two Fallouts are completely different in the style in which Bethesda makes their games.  I would rather have Bioware do Fallout over Bethesda.  Obsidian would be the optimal choice.

You bet. :thumbsup:

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

What would make Fallout 3 from Bethesda acceptable:

* Full implementation of SPECIAL. We all have seen SPECIAL work in real time and 3 different games. Fallout Tactics, Lionheart, and FOBOS. Each version sucked. It needs to have a turn base option, and balanced for turn base. That does not preclude real time however.

* Full roving camera as is used in Neverwinter Nights, but with a 1st person view toggle. I think that could work quite nicely. That way people can set the camera view they prefer, from 3/4 view or first person view (puke).

* Story driven plots and full dialog options. No keyword crap as seen in Morrowind and Oblivion.

Anyway these three aspects would make the game more palatable to me.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

Dark Raven, that is unreasonable and a major HELL NO. Fallout had great graphics in its hay day, but did not age well. Besides I would love to see some of the death animations in Fallout 1 and 2 in full 3D splendor.

No? It would be awesome to rip someone's chest off in full 3D.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Especially if they bullet timed it. HA! (w00t)

Okay, maybe that would be a bit much. :thumbsup: