NWN2: Duo Core Processors Not Supported?

Riftworm

An admin for a NWN2 beta testing server told me on the phone that he couldnt run NWN2 using a duo core processor on a fairly hefty and newer system, and that NWN2 likely didnt support duo core processors. Is this true? Can anyone substantiate this? If so that really limits my options to the new computer im in the market for as it's a fairly common processor.

If anyone knows or can shed some light - much appreciated thx.

-

Edited by Riftworm

Not only that, but if a particluar application (or game) doesn't support multiple CPUs, then you can configure it (in Windows) to only use a single processor.

:devil:

True. Although it is hard to find a modern game that is incompatible with multi-threading entirely. HT has been out for what? 4-5 years now?

Setting up older games to run on one cpu only pisses me off.. at least in System Shock 2 (the only game where ive come across incompatibility). Start up game.. get to menu.. Alt-Tab out.. set Affinity... grrr.

WHAT A HORRIBLE NIGHT TO HAVE A CURSE.

isn't HyperThreading simply multiple threads within a single processor? if so, that's a different beast than threading across multiple cores.

i'm supposed to be learning posix threads now, btw. should be interesting.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

I'm pretty sure you can change the attributes in Windows, without doing it every time you run it. :thumbsup:

running linux on multiple cores results in context switching, which means your process actually gets assigned to whichever core linux feels like placing it on. this happens every HZ update to the system, which is typically 10 ms. in such cases, affinity must be programmed into a process to either force a specific core, or force it to stay on the core it spawned on. for general apps, this is no problem as your code simply swaps to another processor. for benchmarking, however, the cache flush and stack transfer is devastating to your timing results. i'm not sure if it is possible to force a specific affinity externally (i.e. not within the code itself). well, i've never tried nor have i looked into it. should NWN2 wind up with a linux port, it'll be interesting to see how that works.

has anyone run regular NWN (linux version) on a multi-core system?

taks

comrade taks... just because.

I have a intel core duo on my computer, and when i bought the game i was really enthousiastic but when i have intalled it... It wasn't the same enthousiasm ... It doesn't support core duo ...

So, I decide to do what they say in "readme" but it doesn't solve any problems ... I use only one CPU for this game but it doesn't change the problem that it can't be played ...

So, anyone knows if a patch is going to be done ? Or if i can take my money back ?

PS : Is there developper doing functional and complete game in the world ? :)