SNOW!!!!

taks

yup, for the 3rd (er, 4th?) time this year, we're getting snow. not just a piddly sprinkling resulting in an inch or two. it's a bleeeeezard out there. we have over a foot at the house and it is still snowing hard. winds are probably gusting at 60-70 mph. white-out conditions are making it nearly impossible to drive though overall, the city has done a good job keeping the streets clean. i made it in to work this morning driving about 10 mph average, mostly that slow because i couldn't see more than 50 feet (i have a 4WD jeep with excellent snow tires).

unbelievable. of course, it's supposed to be in the 50s tomorrow, so it will all be melted by the weekend. hehe, such is life in CO!

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Not yet here, but other parts of Finland, north ones of course, have it.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

We don't have any snow here yet. It's been hovering just above zero so when we have been getting rain instead of snow. We probably won't get any significant snowfall (ie snow that stays for more than a few days) until december. :)

We had snow for a couple of days...nothing significant, but it was weird seeing it this early.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

I really don't know which is worse. The snow or a constant 3 to 4 day drizzle of rain.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

supposedly the developing el nino is supposed to put a damper on northern colorado snow (technically we're central, but "southern" in this regard means down near NM). however, it seems that this is not always true. particularly this year!

all i care about now, is that copper mountain opens next friday. i've got my pass, and i don't have to work that day. woohoo!!!

taks

It's nice to have snow at this time of the year, too bad that i currently live in the city that has the heat-record in Finland, so no snow here.

Luckily, my parents live up north, so atleast i can enjoy a white christmas every year when i visit them.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I wouldn't want to go skiing. Too many trees can just leap at you and kill you while enjoying yourself.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

I wouldn't want to go skiing.  Too many trees can just leap at you and kill you while enjoying yourself.

:)

Have ever even been skiing at all?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I wouldn't want to go skiing.  Too many trees can just leap at you and kill you while enjoying yourself.

:)

Have ever even been skiing at all?

No, but I heard stories. Stories that would chill a man to his bones. Poor Sonny. If there was to be something that killed him it should have been Cher. But no, it was a vicious tree that leaped at him while he skied.

CNN just said windgusts are around the mid-30 in CO

not up here (i'm on the very far north end of town). much worse.

50's in Chicago and the promise of another mild winter!

they're claiming a mild winter for us, too. temps have been 10-15 F below normal for most of the summer and fall. the lows are around normal, but the highs have not been.

Thank you global warming!  :)

i keep thinking of the suzy chaffee commercial (read: whine) about GW screwing up the slopes and causing later winter starts with earlier winter ends and lower snowfall totals. i first saw this commercial last year, in november, when i was skiing on a record 6-7 foot base of fresh powder. the mountains (northern/central) were all 100% open before turkey day. most of the same moutains were 125-150% of normal snowfall for the year (southern got screwed but that was due to an el nina i believe).

taks

Edited by taks

Dude, when the snow gets above an inch it's time to call in sick.

An inch?!?!?!

Snow where I live can drop by the foot. One year we had a snow storm that dropped 3 to 4 feet of snow in one go.

If there was to be something that killed him it should have been Cher.  But no, it was a vicious tree that leaped at him while he skied.

apparently the section he wiped out on was not really dangerous. he was likely either not paying attention, or screwing around.

safe skiing means skiing within your limits. going off piste when you have no experience, and you are alone, is rarely a good idea.

i'm to the point now where i can tackle anything on the main slopes. i can even struggle through double diamonds, though my first attempt last year was on a pair of skis designed for speed, which made it difficult. this year, they're putting me in a pair of k2 apaches, which are better all-mountain skis (i.e. it's easier to turn on a dime). the biggest problem i have is that i'm big, which means big skis. most moguls are cut by small folk with small skis. it'll be a challenge even with the right ski this year.

oh, we have clocked ourselves (my ski buddy and i) doing about 65 mph on claimjumper at breckenridge. messing up at that speed is deadly. :lol:

taks

i keep thinking of the suzy chaffee commercial (read: whine) about GW screwing up the slopes and causing later winter starts with earlier winter ends and lower snowfall totals.  i first saw this commercial last year, in november, when i was skiing on a record 6-7 foot base of fresh powder.  the mountains (northern/central) were all 100% open before turkey day.  most of the same moutains were 125-150% of normal snowfall for the year (southern got screwed but that was due to an el nina i believe).

The last 3 or 4 years have been really mild in the Chicago area. We get one big storm a winter nowadays. Non-white-X-mas, motorcycles in December, etc.

Before that winters meant that the streets would look like trenches from all the snow pushed to the sides.

Global Warming, dumb luck, whatever, it's a nice change of pace.

Edited by kumquatq3

Snow where I live can drop by the foot.  One year we had a snow storm that dropped 3 to 4 feet of snow in one go.

the springs _averages_ 3-4 feet per year. we're already up around 2 feet (official numbers are done at the airport, which is much lower elevation than where i live, and thusly probably closer to 18"). on the north end of town, like monument or even black forest, 10 feet in a year is not uncommon. 3-4 feet at a time happens every couple years or so.

the mountains are not reporting snow yet (not till they open), so i don't know what they're getting out of this.

taks