Wireless PC Gamepad

dufflover

I'm trying to find a gamepad to pickup after finishing exams in about a month. Was originally just gonna get a normalish PS2 controller for the adapter I have but all the stress has broken me to indulge a bit more.

So I'm looking for a Wireless PC Gamepad/controller in the PS2 design. Something like the Logitech Wireless Action controller, but with normal USB plug for PC use.

So far I've found this:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products...,CONTENTID=9069

But it looks fugly compared to the PS2 version. Any other suggestions?

sigpic0yb.jpg

Pure Pazaak - The Stand-alone Multiplayer Pazaak Game (link to Obsidian board thread)

Pure Pazaak website (big thank you to fingolfin)

Saitek has a rather good one, although it doesn't really resemble the classic Playstation 2 controller that much.

p2900.jpg

http://www.saitek.com/uk/prod/p2900.htm

It's wireless, gets 30 hours of gaming from one AA battery, has a rumble function and all the same buttons as the classic Playstation 2 controller (plus a few extras).

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

LOL. Sheeshes; that looks like a beauty :wub: (I haven't checked the local AUS prices yet :p ... I can see it now :o>_< )

But feature wise it's great too; just one AA compared to 4 for the Logitech means less weight. I've yet to physically try either so dunno if the Logitech is too weighty or not. It doesn't have to be exact PS2 form factor; it's just that the main use for it right is now for PS emulator (Bishi Bashi for those curious), and this pad still covers the PS2 form - just a few extra buttons.

If you want the original PS2 controller design you could get one of those PS2 to USB adapter thingies and simply use a PS2 controller on your PC, though that's not wireless of course.

Yeh that's what I'm using now and was just gonna add on, but as said, decided to get something a bit more proper for PC - more satisfaction/morale boosting.

Never mind: You can't get the Saitek P2900 here in Aus. Heck you can't even get the P2600.

Edited by dufflover

sigpic0yb.jpg

Pure Pazaak - The Stand-alone Multiplayer Pazaak Game (link to Obsidian board thread)

This is what I recommend:

http://xfxforce.com/web/product/listConfig...71&productId=74

I have the same model, except mine isn't wireless.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

If you want the original PS2 controller design you could get one of those PS2 to USB adapter thingies and simply use a PS2 controller on your PC, though that's not wireless of course.

There are heaps of "refurbished" Logitech Cordless Action gamepads for PS2 going from an eBay store relatively cheaply compared to a new Cordless Rumblepad 2 for PC. Would this work on the PS2/USB adapter? I've read that the wireless receivers draw a lot more power so I'm not sure.

sigpic0yb.jpg

There are heaps of "refurbished" Logitech Cordless Action gamepads for PS2 going from an eBay store relatively cheaply compared to a new Cordless Rumblepad 2 for PC. Would this work on the PS2/USB adapter?

Hmm, I'm not really sure. I guess it depends on whether the adapter's drivers can support them or not.

BTW, if distance is the main reason for getting a wireless controller you could simply buy an USB extension cable. Not as neat looking as a wireless controller but certainly much cheeper. :) I use one whenever I'm playing games on my television (via TV-out).

OK I can get either a corded or cordless Logitech Rumblepad 2. Corded is obviously cheaper (quite a bit actually). Usually I would say "cordless functionality" is not worth $xx, but because I'm buying this on the premise of post-exam-morale-boost I don't mind spending that extra bit.

sigpic0yb.jpg

I've also heard that the Xbox360 style controllers for the PC work extremely well.

I can attest to that - it works almost too well in fact. So much precision, the baddies don't even have a chance. :(

I can't wait to unleash its powers on the totally sweet and awesome (and best selling game ever!) JE for PC!

manthing2.jpg

Also on the XBox360 controllers, I had a hold of one today at a department store (didn't actually look up to play the demo game though) and it did feel a bit better (the PS2 console was right next to it :(), although I think that was more for the way it was generally molded rather than the fact that the D-pad and wheel were swapped.

sigpic0yb.jpg

Are the old XBox controllers the same as X360 controllers? Looks like it. Found this:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products...,CONTENTID=8182

No. The 360 controller is much better than the old Xbox controllers, or even the Xbox S controllers.

The 360 gamepad is the best default console gamepad I've used to date. Great thing about the 360 gamepads is they use USB by default and work immediately when plugged into a PC (at least Windows PCs).

Yeh I just realised that it's for Xbox rather than just XBox style. I googled up XBox 360 Controller for PC but so far it's still only corded. There's a dongle you can buy to connect any XBox 360 wireless device to PC but I'm not that unhappy after exams to spend that much overall. :blink: (well whether I say that after the event will be another thing)

Just checked local prices; wired XBox 360 controller for PC is the same price as the Cordless Rumblepad 2. With that; I would probably go the Logitech Rumblepad 2 since I would put Cordless over just a swap of D-Pad/Stick and very slightly mould. Heh, although the Logitech Chillstream (corded X360 but nice silver look and air fan thingies) might be enough to go corded.

Edited by dufflover

sigpic0yb.jpg