why do folks think deleware might be KOTOR2?

seriously: is there any evidence for this? or is folks just speculating wildly?

and wouldn't obsidian rather their first PC & console game to be something original rather than being the butt monkey for LucasArts and Bio?

dumber than a bag of hammers

Speculation isbased on a press release a few months back from BioWare and Obsidian that they would be working together on a project. BioWare's words were something like that they have more projects on the go then they currently can do internally so they aregoing to proven develpers like Obsidian (ex Black Isle people) for some of these projects.

There is also an announcement on Obsidian's Web site that they are currently working on a RPG for PC and consoles.

This as well with an article on IGN about a rumor that KOTOR2 was in development and that Obsidian is working on it is why people have concluded this to be true.

B)

Which would be a good thing for a fledgeling company.

Look at Trokia... it didn't exactly leap forward with a glorius start. <_<

Hopefully Obsidian will be the next Interplay/Black Isle... at least as far as good RPGs go.... none of that Caen BS.

Baldur's Gate

Baldur's Gate 2

Planescape Torment

Fallout

Fallout 2

Icewind Dale

Icewind Dale 2

Funny how some people "only" look at the less than stellar games as examples.... (where's my smirk icon) :)

Funny that the BG series is as much BIS' as FOBOS and LH are. Funny how others try to give BIS credit for the good games they didn't make but their logo is on; but won't give them 'credit' for the games that have their logo on them but wre poorly recieved. :)

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Funny that the BG series is as much BIS' as FOBOS and LH are. Funny how others try to give BIS credit for the good games they didn't make but their logo is on; but won't give them 'credit' for the games that have their logo on them but wre poorly recieved. :p

FOBOS wasn't Black Isle Studios'.

Funny that the BG series is as much BIS' as FOBOS and LH are. Funny how others try to give BIS credit for the good games they didn't make but their logo is on; but won't give them 'credit' for the games that have their logo on them but wre poorly recieved. :p

Actually I did that list from memory.. as in games I actually own.

I wasn't aware I/BI had made Lionheart.

If Obsidian is making KotOR2 ("no comment"), it would be an excellent way to get their name out into the gaming public, especially considering the commercial success of KotOR on both console and PC. After they've established themselves, branching out into other projects would be much easier (overhead cash and extra investments from interested parties) and would allow them to assume a bit more risk than a startup would otherwise be able to do.

While you can certainly look at it in whatever light you wish, whether positive or negative, it makes a lot of business sense for Obsidian to go this route as a first offering.

Situationist: Thanks for stating the obvious.

Darque: Like I said above, they made it as mucha s they made BG... ie. They published it.

They weren't the publisher of FOBOS either so that wasn't a good comparison.

Black Isle. Developer of Fallout (yes I know it's debatable to put this there), Fallout 2, Planescape Torment, Icewind Dale, Icewind Dale Heart of Winter and Icewind Dale 2.

As well as developer of cancelled projects Stonekeep 2, Torn, Jefferson and Van Buren. It's a shame that what looked like their more interesting projects (outside of Fallouts and Planescape Torment) were all canned due to incompetence, either at Black isle or with Interplay management.

Gamershell says its been announced!!

"1up.com has confirmed that BioWare and Obsidian Entertainment (a company made up of a number of former Black Isle Studios members) are working on a sequel to Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, the RPG hit launched on PC and Xbox last year. Details will be revelead in June issues of Electronic Gaming Monthly and Computer Gaming World magazines"

~Cent~

It is not official until we hear it from Obsidian.

TripleRRR

actually, despite the tendency of developers to let stuff slip, it won't be official

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

• 2 weeks later...

I know the speculation continues and so I don't want to assume anything about the project. Still, I'd be quite happy to see Obsidian do KotOR 2. I'd like Obsidian to do well and I'd like to see KotOR 2. It's nice and tidy to have the two ends accomplished in one fell swoop. Furthermore, I'd think have a commercial success behind them would give Obsidian more leverage to pursue an original work. I guess I'm naive, but that would be my hope and towards that end, I guess I can finally agree with Volourn 100%.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!