So, uh, I'm Schizoid

Blarghagh

A formal diagnosis as in my problems were discussed with some other psychiatrist and they both agreed, and then they sent me a letter saying that yeah, I have SPD and explained what it was?

I'm not really sure how much more formal you can get.

I thought I was just too bored with the world.

Although, from what I gather that's pretty much what SPD is.

Basically, it's a personality disorder that means you have little to no interest in/indifference towards; other people, doing activies, society, moral issues. Also, it means you prefer being solitary and have trouble showing emotion, and basically would rather fantasize than pay attention to the real world.

I'm guessing it's the same thing most geeks have, but with the social anxieties factoring in less.

Basically, it's a personality disorder that means you have little to no interest in/indifference towards; other people, doing activies, society, moral issues. Also, it means you prefer being solitary and have trouble showing emotion, and basically would rather fantasize than pay attention to the real world.

I'm guessing it's the same thing most geeks have, but with the social anxieties factoring in less.

Yeah, sounds like a lot of geeks. I'd probably be diagnosed with it if what I already had didn't cover the symptoms.

Does it make you feel any different about who you are? I'd say the worst thing to do in this case would be to let this define you.

I don't, I guess.

Sure, I'm a little bothered that the person who I am happy being can be described as having a personality disorder... There doesn't seem to be anything incredibly "wrong" with me.

But I guess all these symptoms, I already had them anyway. All that's changed is that I now have a name to fit them all in.

Edited by TrueNeutral

Sounds like the exquisite art of detachment to me.

Otherwise known as not giving a crap.

I fail to see how this is a disorder. :lol:

Eh?

There

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

What they have to do is distinguish between healthy and unhealthy detachment. Take D&D. Sitting in your basement writing D&D for 3 hours is not obsessive. Writing for 14 hours without food or sleep probably is :wub: It might seem broad, but in practice it's not that simple.

If you spend a lot of time invested in these fantasy worlds you could be labelled as a schizoid. A good example of schizoid fixation would be someone taking things that have happened in their lives and "reimagining" them in the terms of the fantasy. you could see a movie, and then "reimagine" the movie into the fantasy setting. You could imagine something happening in your fantasy and then actually have an emotional reaction to it. And this would happen constantly. One doesn't necessarily have to be paranoid, or even have a skewed perception of physical reality, they just have to be deeply invested in their fantasy. Like I said earlier, schizoid personalities can function, they're not psychotic. One could say they're "special", in the (lame) parlance of our times.

But there's always the chance that this fixation on fantasy can be of detriment to one's life. They can have difficult holding jobs, relationships, what have you. And it's at that point that it becomes abnormal and a personality disorder.

Edited by Pop

I read the US and European descriptions.

I wonder if it means you get more enjoyment out of abstract thinking than other folks - and yet are less inclined to say so - heh. :wub:

As dark is the absence of light, so evil is the absence of good.

If you would destroy evil, do good.

Evil cannot be perfected. Thank God.

If you spend a lot of time invested in these fantasy worlds you could be labelled as a schizoid. A good example of schizoid fixation would be someone taking things that have happened in their lives and "reimagining" them in the terms of the fantasy. you could see a movie, and then "reimagine" the movie into the fantasy setting. You could imagine something happening in your fantasy and then actually have an emotional reaction to it. And this would happen constantly. One doesn't necessarily have to be paranoid, or even have a skewed perception of physical reality, they just have to be deeply invested in their fantasy. Like I said earlier, schizoid personalities can function, they're not psychotic. One could say they're "special", in the (lame) parlance of our times.

So what you are saying is that half the internet is mentally flawed, since you just illustrated the whole fanfic-fad in one paragraph.

Oh, wait the internet is retarded. Nevermind.

As for you, you goddamn hipster, never "get well", we like you just as you are.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Meh, if it doesnt show up in a catscan, its not real.

I remember when I was 5 my kindergarten teachers got some school shrink to label me with ADHD, but my parents took me to an independent psychologist who confirmed I was just very lively and a bit understimulated.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

:lol:

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

Yeah, I just got some 'results' back from my friendly neighbourhood headshrinker.

Apparently, I have SPD; Schizoid Personality Disorder.

He said there was no treatment and didn't really think it was a disorder.

So like, what does someone do about this?

Freak.

But really, if you lived with it for this long, it's nothing.

Edited by Krookie

Yeah, I just got some 'results' back from my friendly neighbourhood headshrinker.

Apparently, I have SPD; Schizoid Personality Disorder.

He said there was no treatment and didn't really think it was a disorder.

So like, what does someone do about this?

I was diagnosed with ADD when i was younger and although my wife makes fun of me alot, its never really been a problem to live with, and its part of who i am, plus i mean the ARMY took me, so um... :lol: thats good right?

It's Schizoid, not Scizophrenic. They are completely different disorders.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It's Schizoid, not Scizophrenic. They are completely different disorders.

Oh... jeez, im sorry, i just thought it was like a shortened way to say the same thing, forgive my uneducated, insensitive and unthoughtful comment, in the future i will avoid all attempts at humor and otherwise "lightheartedness" when dealing with the "crazies"

:ph34r: (dont tell him i said that k?)

You are really new at this forum thing, right?

Ok, I won't tell him.

kirottu said: