NWN 2 Toolset preview @ nwn2news

Rhomal

Part 1 of our NWN 2 toolset preview covers the new toolset as a whole and covers all the major functions when buildings a module. Part 2 will be posted in a few days and will contain monsters, stores, creating new blueprints, NWScript 2 and our final thoughts.

You can read the full preview, with new screenshots in our article section.

http://www.nwn2news.net/modules/smartsecti...m.php?itemid=65

You also can see some more exclusive screenshots on our Gallery.

http://www.nwn2news.net/modules/myalbum/viewcat.php?cid=3

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

Welll.. maybe. But, I just finished the article, and there are soem things I didn't realize about the toolset that i didn't notice in some of the other tutorials I've read as theyeither didn't coevr it or I missed it.

One example, are the added things to spawns.

And, it'[s not late as it's still a preview (as it's not released), and tthe screenshots are still exclsuive to NWN2 news since they're likely different than other sites.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Welll.. maybe. But, I just finished the article, and there are soem things I didn't realize about the toolset that i didn't notice in some of the other tutorials I've read as theyeither didn't coevr it or I missed it.

One example, are the added things to spawns.

And, it'[s not late as it's still a preview (as it's not released), and tthe screenshots are still exclsuive to NWN2 news since they're likely different than other sites.

Well the pre-release toolset which they are previewing has been released.

YOU LOSE GAME OVER ROFL or whatever

Edited by Lare Kikkeli

Given ATARi's bungle with the release of the presell toolset, which led to anyone being able to download from their FTP without any from of preoreder code... is there any hardcore NWN fans who HAVENT seen it?

I hope it makes things clearer as the toolset looks cool; but it's a mess to use.

I heard the same from a NWN1-modding friend of mine. I think its merely a case of getting used to a new interface with alot of added features.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

No. It was a lot easier to understand the basics of the NWN1 toolset. Much easier.

Heck, I still can't get hills right.

I want to build a hill and have an important building on it yet my building is currently have floating in air. LOL

And, the brush is annoying. Not to mention the camera control which simply literlaly does the opposite of what you wnat - if you want to go right you got to move the mouse to the left. VERY unituitive.

Don't get me wrong, obvious the NWN2 toolset can do a lot more than the NWN1 toolset (lol, sequel, it should do better); but Obsidian could could have made it more user friendly and still add all these new functions.

They've actually admitted this and the first patch will liekly help here.

With NWN1's toolset, my biggest setback was/is scripting. Here it's trying to get the land the way I want.

P.S. Of course, since I haven't quite finished my NWN1 module yet (lol); one cna't tkae my complaints too serious though many others ahve said the exact same thing.

The problem is the toolset is not as intuitive as it could be, and it could add this 'intuitiveness' without losing it's power, imo.

P.S. I dislike ideas for certain previews including this one to pimp features as being 'new' when they were in NWN1. :wub:

Edited by Volourn

No. It was a lot easier to understand the basics of the NWN1 toolset. Much easier.

Heck, I still can't get hills right.

I want to build a hill and have an important building on it yet my building is currently have floating in air. LOL

And, the brush is annoying. Not to mention the camera control which simply literlaly does the opposite of what you wnat - if you want to go right you got to move the mouse to the left. VERY unituitive.

Don't get me wrong, obvious the NWN2 toolset can do a lot more than the NWN1 toolset (lol, sequel, it should do better); but Obsidian could could have made it more user friendly and still add all these new functions.

The problem is the toolset is not as intuitive as it could be, and it could add this 'intuitiveness' without losing it's power, imo.

i find it funny how people blame the editor when they dont know how to use it.

iirc the whole OC was made with the same editor they've released, so it shouldnt be too hard to use. just takes some patience.

It is called learning curve. The problem is that people try using it as it was NWN1 toolset and are disappointed because it is not what they got used to. They will whine for a couple of months, but then will realize that the interface of the new toolset is actually better.

Instead of whining about people whining answer me this:

How is NWN2 toolset's way of allowing players to move around and look at the map more intuitive than NWN1's way of doing?

Do you know what intuitive is?

There is no way that one can think that NWN2's way of doing so is more intuitive.

I am NOT bashing the quality of the toolset. I'm just saying it lacks intuitiveness that it doesn't have to.

Anything that wastes time when it doens't have to is bad. Period. This is undisputable.

Why make someone waste 2 hours making something when it should take them 30 minutes.

Afterall, I can go to NY by walking; but logistics say it be much better if I take a vehicle.

R00fles!

Bottom line is stuff like this makes the toolset untuitive, and the key here is IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE.

Obsidian, btw, has admitted to this, and plan to fix some of the unintuitiveness.

It's also not 'just a handful of people; but a bunch.

*shrugs*

How cna anyone defend unintuitiveness is beyond me. If you prefer the enw way of camera control in the toolset than just admit it. Otherwise, youa re just trolling to be cool.

Instead of whining about people whining answer me this:

How is NWN2 toolset's way of allowing players to move around and look at the map more intuitive than NWN1's way of doing?

Do you know what intuitive is?

There is no way that one can think that NWN2's way of doing so is more intuitive.

I am NOT bashing the quality of the toolset. I'm just saying it lacks intuitiveness that it doesn't have to.

Was I whining? Anyway,

You still compare NWN1 toolset to NWN2 toolset in terms of "intuitiveness" because you were using NWN1 toolset for too long, and naturally NWN1 toolset will be more intuitive. I haven't used it that much hence NWN2 toolset doesn't seem a single bit unintuitive to me.

Try to unlearn NWN1 toolset, try getting used to new hotkeys (using shift/alt/ctrl with mouse helps) and it will not be as hard. :blink:

"if you really want to make something, you can. "

No duh. Nowhere did I say I had 'given up'. In fact, I'm learning as we type. You are miss the point but then again you are the kind of poster who would argue with me about my age. *shrugs*

"You still compare NWN1 toolset to NWN2 toolset in terms of "intuitiveness" because you were using NWN1 toolset for too long, and naturally NWN1 toolset will be more intuitive. I haven't used it that much hence NWN2 toolset doesn't seem a single bit unintuitive to me.

Try to unlearn NWN1 toolset, try getting used to new hotkeys (using shift/alt/ctrl with mouse helps) and it will not be as hard."

Good points, overall. however, I'm not comparing my knoweldge of the twoolsets. I ahve more epxeirence with the NWN1 toolset so of course I'd be more famialir it.

I'm talkinga bout intuitiveness which means something working in an obvious way.

With the toolset, the way to move the camera made logical sense and wa snatural. There was nothing to learn.

The way the NWN2 toolset doe sit is untuitive because I doubt anyone would do it that way naturally.

What's more intuitive or natural? Point your mouse on arrows to move the screen in various directions or holding a key down while holding the mouse down and then moving the mouse in the opposite direction that you wnat to go in? If I want to move to the left I should be able to move the mouse elft; not right. Like I said, not as intuitive as it should be.

Like I said, this isn't an argument about the (lack) of power of the toolset. It's obvious that you can do more with the NWN2 toolset than the NWN1 toolset. This is undisputable. the point is the intuitiveness could have been handled better WITHOUT harming the power of it.

:blink:

P.S. I'm not going to 'unlearn' the NWN1 toolset as I have every intention of still using it. It's not an either/or thing. I'm gonna finish my NWN1 module even if I'm 100 years old!!!!

Edited by Volourn