Lost in a good book

Walsingham

I just finished Jasper Fforde's book 'Lost in a Good Book'. In it the protagonist jumps into books. Inside them, the characters have to act their parts, but supposing it is written in the third person retain their indepndence of thought. Moreover, when not actually needed they can gad about as they choose in their environment.

I don't want to give any more spoilers, but it got me thinking. If YOU had to hide in a book for about a year which would it be? I was thinking I'd probably choose Raymond Chandler's 'The Little Sister', although I'd be worried that Chandler's quirky descriptions might make the experience uncomfortably patchy.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Easy, The Sun Also Rises. Although, I have to admit, Midnight's Children would be one hell of a ride - same goes for Valis.

Ooh ooh! You just reminded me When Gravity Fails by George Alec Effinger. Twould be awesome. Plenty of drugs, great food, sunshine, and mind altering cyber implants.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Perhaps, The Hitchiker's Guide To The Galaxy. Or Good Omens. Or the Valerian comic books.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Do you get to choose what character to be when you jump in the book, or is that magically random? If "yes", then any book where I can have superpowers because that'd be, like, fun.

If the answer is "it's randomly chosen for you", then scratch that and instead, any book that doesn't involve evil wizards/leaders/dasterdly plans, Ultimate Evil (the Ring! oh noes!), or world or galatic wars of a fantastical or even 'normal' nature, etc.

Hmm....I don't read many books without such things in them. Perhaps Asimov's Robot novel series.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Or Good Omens. Or the Valerian comic books.

"We...think alike"

Another great one would be Strange and Mr Norrel. Low magic, low key and so lovely Victorian.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

You know Val

Heja Sverige!!

You know Val
Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

I know, I know. God, I picked up one old album I had and still went "wow" after all these years. Probably the best scifi-comic ever, beats even Halo Jones.

86332Laurelinemd.jpg

In "Living Weapons", I think.

Edit: Wait, there's an anime about it?  :wub:

LINKY

Not the same thing. :lol:

Heja Sverige!!

It's loading, I read some of the comments(francais est tres difficile :'() and I'm not terribly hyped.

Oh, the comic artist is awesome, just look at this:imagesval2.jpg

Edit:Yeah, it looks ok. Sorta cowboybepobish, as the comments said, but I don't think I can stomach the odd Japano-Francais look. Not to mention, I doubt that the sense of wonder and almost palbable grandiousness is going to be in there too.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:

I would gladly be a random citizen in any of Iain M. Banks's Culture novels. 300 years of sex, booze and travelling the galaxy. Yup, good times  (w00t)

Might get old after a while though.  :lol:

The Player of Games was awesome.

kirottu said:

Considering the material that I read I don't think I want to jump and hide in any of them.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"