6-pin question

Bokishi

That depends on your PSU. Some PSU's have extremely powerful 12v rails and can take the stress of having two GPU's sucking power from it (as that's what I assume you're going for, you graphics whore :thumbsup:) ). But to be on the safe side: if you have a "free" 12v rail, just convert that to one of the PCI-E connectors.

My PSU has four individual 12v rails. Or something like that. I don't remember! It was special somehow at least :thumbsup:

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

If your PSU is a good, high-quality one (meaning that it will actually produce those 460W at stable levels when needed), you should theoretically be ok. But reality has a way of interfering with theory sometimes. You'll know when you get the 8800.

If you split the single 6-pin then the power supply for two (critical) items is reliant on one rail.

It is best practice to use a single rail for each GPU card, but not mandatory (the new Tagan 1.1kW, for example, shares the rails across two connectors; the 1kW Enermax got a better review in issue 193 of PC Format because of this and it's modular cable design).

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Yeah, my Cooltek has four 12v rails (cables). Its cables are also modular, but if I connect ALL the cables to the PSU at the same time, it looks like a rastafari. Teh cables are everywhere!! Luckily for me, it also has separate PCI-E cables.

Oh, and my motherboard has an extra 4-pin molex connector installed next to the PCI-E ports that you can supply additional power through, if need be. Great feature!

I have dual 12v rails on a 460w PSU. It has a single 6-pin. The 8800 requires a 450w PSU, and two 6-pin connectors. Would splitting my single 6-pin be okay for this? Or is it new PSU time?

Are there even PSU's with dual 6-pin connectors?

Id try to take two 4-pins and run them into a 6-pin adapter for the second one

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

This is what my PSU looks like:

CT500BHE12CF_2.jpg

At the top are the four 12v. rails, 2x2.

Below that are two SATA power connectors.

Underneath those there's a 4-pin, a 6-pin (PCI-E) and an 8-pin (CPU8) connector.

Last there's the 24-pin main power connector (the hole underneath that is something the Cooltek uses to stabilize the currents and voltages).

I don't have dual PCI-E connectors either. But at least it has its own rail.

keep in mind, too, if you have problems with one element on a single rail, such as a short from a part that fried, it could potentially damage any other element on the same rail since your supplies would not be buffered from each other.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Thanks guys, i think I'll use my 4-pins + adapter for the second 6-pin rather than a splitter.

But are you sure the 8800 uses dual 6-pin connectors? The chinese photo of the 8800 prototype cannot be trusted to represent what the production models will look like.

I just had a look at BFG Techs latest monster PSU and they 2-4 6-pin connectors so I guess I might need a new PSU aswell

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "