Startup Problems

I have recently built me a new computer. Specs:

AMD Athlon X2 4800+ 2.68 GHz

4 GB RAM

ATI FireGL V7100 1 GB Video

Currently, my computer should not have any problems. My previous computer, which had the minimum requirements, ran the game fine.

When I first installed the game, I had no problems. Now, about a month later, the game locks up and crashes right after the splash screen. The screen changes res and then it gives me an hourglass and stops responding.

Any help?

You should really update your drivers. Not only for your graphics card, but also for your motherboard and chipset. I've had a few problems when I recently upgraded my PC, and a lot of problems were solved when I downloaded and installed drivers for my chipset.

You should really update your drivers. Not only for your graphics card, but also for your motherboard and chipset. I've had a few problems when I recently upgraded my PC, and a lot of problems were solved when I downloaded and installed drivers for my chipset.

the problem is he said, i think, that it was working, and now it's not. he's got a friken insane computer don't know why it would be crashing there. fireGL's coost like $600+

Things like this are why I stopped using ATI cards. If it wasn't one thing it was another. I've had similar problems in the past where a game just stopped working while using ATI. I'd try and remember if I had changed anything but couldn't remember updating anything. All I can think of is to try the latest graphics drivers for your card, if that doesn't work, try an older generation of drivers.

ATI really needs to get it's $#!^ together as far as drivers go. They fix one thing and break 10 others every time a new version comes out.

The drivers are up to date. I installed the drivers on the CD and then checked the internet and there are not any updates. And yes I have an insane computer (I built it for CAD and Animation).

I am also having the same problem with Kotor 1 and Academy. I am wondering if it is Windows updates. I had a problem with windows when I updated from the website. However, I fixed that problem when I finished. perhaps that is the problem.

I've known people to have the Windows Updater vs going to the site and downloading it manually yourself cause problems before. I don't know anything about it tho, or if it would/could really be the cause of your trouble.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts