Get the NWN2 manual here

Llyranor

It was a really uber spell. They didn't have a way to localize it to just an area effect. The Timestop stopped everything within the game. If someone casted Timestop in some dungeon area clear on the other side of the continent, so to speak, it would effect a town miles away. It is one of the reasons why PWs hated it.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

If the reason behind its removal was the fact that its implementation was a pain in the ass for PWs, I'd have thought it would've been to everyone's advantage for Obsidian to simply leave it in for the singleplayer game, then allow PW admins to script out Timestop on their servers on a case by case basis.

Isn't that even possible on NWN servers now? Scripting out certain spells / feats?

Yeah, but I won't shed a tear for its dismissal in the game for Deekin has made it in. And all is good in the world. :thumbsup:

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

"They didn't have a way to localize it to just an area effect."

Then they suck.

"The Timestop stopped everything within the game. If someone casted Timestop in some dungeon area clear on the other side of the continent, so to speak, it would effect a town miles away. It is one of the reasons why PWs hated it."

I have played on many PWs that have scripted TS to only effect the area it is cast in. Heck, I've played PWs where TS only effects a certain range of the wizard.

If that's the reason why TS isn't in TS then they obviously didn't try hard enough.

Time Stop is a premiere level 9 spell. And, it's not overpowered. That's a myth. Nobody has died because of TS being cast.

P.S. deekin is overrated much like Minsc. *puke*

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"They didn't have a way to localize it to just an area effect."

Then they suck.

"The Timestop stopped everything within the game. If someone casted Timestop in some dungeon area clear on the other side of the continent, so to speak, it would effect a town miles away. It is one of the reasons why PWs hated it."

I have played on many PWs that have scripted TS to only effect the area it is cast in. Heck, I've played PWs where TS only effects a certain range of the wizard.

If that's the reason why TS isn't in TS then they obviously didn't try hard enough.

Time Stop is a premiere level 9 spell.  And, it's not overpowered. That's a myth. Nobody has died because of TS being cast.

P.S. deekin is overrated much like Minsc. *puke*

I fully agree, except with the P.S. part

IB1OsQq.png

Why couldn't they just have had an AoE hold person spell that effects everybody but the caster? Same difference. If Time Stop only works within 50', anybody outside of that 50' effectively gains all the benefits of the spell. TS is supposed to affect the caster only, that's what made it powerful. Hence, the spell is useless if it only affects a certain area.

Edited by Pop

I wouldn't know how it works in pnp D&D, but if NWN2 limted it to an area they could ensure that anybody who enters the affected area after casting is similarly effected (i.e. stopped) - just like if you cast Cloudkill, then someone enters that area, they are affected. So that timestop works more like a continuous paralysis effect in selected area except for caster. Of course, that would have to apply to projectiles and so forth; and there's the danger that if you stay just outside the timestop 'sphere' and fire what, ten arrows at the caster, as soon as timestop ends the caster will be hit by them - and I don't know if that's what we want.

I'd certainly have loved timestop in some form in the game, at least for singleplayer, though. It was especially lovely in BGs, if a bit OP. I thought in NWN1 it wasn't very overpowered (In SP) because there was only one of you, the timespan was relatively short and if you relied only on timestop you were guaranteed to get pounded as soon as it was over, anyway.

I don't really care either way about timestop. Seriously, it was a nice spell, and certainly very powerful, but I think I'll survive somehow.

It's not very important.

Edited by Lord Tingeling

"McDonald's taste damn good. I'd rtahe reat their wonderful food then the poisonous junk you server in your house that's for sure.

What's funny is I'm not fat. In fact, I'm skinny. Though I am as healthy as cna be. Outside of being very ugly, and the common cold once in the blue moon I simply don't get sick."

- Volourn, Slayer of Yrkoon!

"I want a Lightsaber named Mr. Zappy" -- Darque

"I'm going to call mine Darque. Then I can turn Darque on anytime I want." -- GhostofAnakin

Sadly timestop will be missed but there are plenty of other great spells to choose from. .

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Why couldn't they just have had an AoE hold person spell that effects everybody but the caster? Same difference. If Time Stop only works within 50', anybody outside of that 50' effectively gains all the benefits of the spell. TS is supposed to affect the caster only, that's what made it powerful. Hence, the spell is useless if it only affects a certain area.

But but but ... surely if a caster STOPS TIME, then time stops for everyone EXCEPT the caster ... I don't see the implementation of this on a PW instance as a bug, but a critical feature.

PS Deekin > Volo. :)"

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

"Hold Person will only affect lower-level opponents"

LOL

Dang, the Vole is right. Hold Person does not have a hitdie restriction! :)

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I wouldn't know how it works in pnp D&D, but if NWN2 limted it to an area they could ensure that anybody who enters the affected area after casting is similarly effected (i.e. stopped) - just like if you cast Cloudkill, then someone enters that area, they are affected.

that was my thought.

Of course, that would have to apply to projectiles and so forth; and there's the danger that if you stay just outside the timestop 'sphere' and fire what, ten arrows at the caster, as soon as timestop ends the caster will be hit by them - and I don't know if that's what we want.

i think you could work it such that projectiles lose their forward momentum so that when it stops, everything simply drops to the ground. magic projectiles, however, such as magic missle, would continue, but they'd be potentially targeting something that is no longer there... i.e. they lose their tracking.

just a thought.

taks

comrade taks... just because.