Get the NWN2 manual here

Llyranor

Bearing in mind I dont know a damn thing about 3.5E, it seems the warlock is pretty gimped. They appear to get crap for "Invocations Known" (page 78) and the Invocations themselves seem pretty few (page 66-67).

The warlock is certainly gimped a little bit by their even more limited selection of invocations than in PnP, and their inability to trade feats for more invocations, but honestly, a wide range of varied spells was never really their ace in the hole anyway. Their saving grace is their ability to cast the few spell-like powers they do know again and again (and again and again (and again and again... :()).

In addition, the Warlock invocation descriptions dont explain much in the way of damage caused. For example, the Lesser Invocation Eldritch Chain states: Eldritch blast arcs to multiple targets. Well, thats super but it doesnt state how much damage or how many enemies.

I really agree that the manual falls on its face when it comes to providing the nitty gritty details about... well, a whole hell of a lot of things, invocations included.

In the case of Eldritch Chain, however, from what I can remember of the script (plus, dev feedback), the first target in the chain will suffer the base eldritch blast damage (modified by whatever essence is currently envoked), then any subsequent targets in the chain will take half of that base damage. Also, the chain will keep jumping to new targets within its line of fire until one of the targets either dodges the ranged tough attack or resists the blast (assuming the blast essence invoked allows for SR), at which point the chain is broken.

Is there a "base" damage that all Eldritch based spells do and then these other Eldritch based spells add to it?

The base eldritch blast damage is untyped (meaning no elemental resistance applies, nor do saves, but it is subject to SR, however), and the magnitude varied from 1D6 to 9D6 depending on caster level. The Eldritch Essences can add further damage or effects to that base damage and very often change its damage type (fire for Brimstone and acid for Vitriolic, for example).

The DC for SR is modified by the invoked Eldritch Essences and Blast Shapes, as well, so an unmodified Eldritch Blast will only have an effective spell level of 1, but if you throw on a dark level essence or blast shape, the effective spell level jumps to 8. The fact that the vitriolic essence bypasses SR entirely makes it seem like one of the better essences to me, since it allows for no saves, no SR and is acid typed damage (which continues for a few rounds after the initial blast).

EDIT: A better explanation than my ramblings above would be this thread on the Bio boards. The full script based details for all the invocations, and how Eldritch Essences and Blast Shapes modify the base Eldritch Blast, can be found there.

Edited by legion

"of course volourn finds all spells useful."

False. There are useless spells; but most ar enot. Heck, sometimes on line, I find others using spells I thought useless and making those spells awesome.

"You can twist it whatever way you want."

If you think fireball is the most useful spell than you are the one lacking. The only situation that fireball is the most useful 3rd level spell (or its counterpart lightning bolt) is when you have a mass of low level enemies like goblins which btw, are no threat anyways to begin with if youa re capable of casting fireball. LOL

Fireball may look pretty; but only those with limited experience with D&D would claim it's the most useful spell.

"lightningbolt; okay, it's fourth level"

Unless its changed in 3.5, both of these spells do the same damage (1d6 per level max 10d6), and both are level 3. Lightning bolt is only more sueful against fire resistant enemies or against enemies lined up in a neat little row. Otehrwise, fireball > lightning bolt.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

that's the key... have all of your party buffed with whatever type of mass-effect spell you want to use. unfortunately, this is not always possible. then you have to resort to "normal" rules! :)

taks

PS: i know, it's semi-sort of cheating. hehe...

comrade taks... just because.

While I tend to agree that fireball is often overrated it can be very very good against certain types of targets like undead and trolls in the right circumstances.

Is this the final manual or a late draft?

As dark is the absence of light, so evil is the absence of good.

If you would destroy evil, do good.

Evil cannot be perfected. Thank God.

"While I tend to agree that fireball is often overrated it can be very very good against certain types of targets like undead and trolls in the right circumstances."

Oh, i agree. I never said it was useless.

As for the manual, it's so out of date; it's not even funny.

Edited by Volourn

If you think fireball is the most useful spell than you are the one lacking.

Did I say that? I just stated that those spells that tend to make the most damage get used often. Of course it changes with how much power you acquire and how your level adjusts the enemy's toughness.

Consider that it's combat crpg , you get fireball early(relatively early at least), it does an increasing amount of elemental damage(common damage reductions can't hold it back) as you level to a whole lot of creatures and the next similar thing(of course discounting cone of cold, since while it's an area of effect spell, it's not the same) you are going to get is what....sunfire? So, fireball going to see a lot of use. And, if I recall correctly, you can adjust the area of effect in 3.5. No killing party members anymore.

Isn't the most common enemy in crpgs goblinoids anyway? Fireball kills them in droves(exceptions occur of course).

But, I agree with you. There are far more useful spells.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

The reason why fireball and lightning bolt are so good and often used is that they count in every single situation no matter which opponent you fight(excluding elementals and some daemons). other spells such as Deep Slumber and Hold Person will only affect lower-level opponents and are thus useless for the major part of the game.

Still, the NWN2 spell list is much better than the old NWN one

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Still, the NWN2 spell list is much better than the old NWN one

Uh-huh.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

You are wrong. For one, I hardly ever use fireball in CRPGs.

There are TONS of sueful spells in the game.

Deal with that fact. Perhaps, certain people just lack the imagination to use spells properly and know which ones are the most useful.

TIP: Fireball is amongst the least useful 3rd level spell in NWN.

Game over.

R00fles. Fireball is the best 3rd level spell there is.

Game Over.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

"Hold Person will only affect lower-level opponents"

LOL

"Still, the NWN2 spell list is much better than the old NWN one"

It's basically the same spell list with some new ones and some old ones cut. It's not subtsantitally different that's for sure.

"Fireball is the best 3rd level spell there is."

No.

Edited by Volourn

When all your spells run out,

when all your meat-shields fall dead,

or at least temporarily unconscious,

when you're in a bind with no magic out,

It's

dum dum dum

It's

MAGIC MISSILE!

jerian-greater-missile-swarm-95.preview.jpg

I use that in the beginning of every fight. Spell distruption rocks.

Force missiles are even better though, once you get them.

kirottu said:

Every spell does that.

kirottu said:

Magic missle is a solid level 1 spell. however, it's not as useful in 3./3.5 to disrupt spellcasters because they'll likely laugh at the concentration check unless they been ignoring it.

Still, a cool spell. :cool:

Mirror Image is one of my favorite spells. Magic Missile is very good for its level, but always have a Shield spell handy if you face enemy wizards and sorcerers. Fireball is good if you are "clearing the deck" of enemies but I prefer a more direct attack spells like flame arrow or lightning bolt in order to do percise targeting.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Timestop is quite the uber spell. I rather enjoyed it in NWN. Too bad it won't be making the transition to NWN2.

I guess Obsidian decided it was a little too uber. As if there actually is such a thing. Too uber... shyeah :huh: