Monty Python star Jones has cancer

metadigital

061021153625.wml4r8p40_terry-jonesa.jpg

LONDON (AFP) - Monty Python star Terry Jones has bowel cancer, although doctors believe they have caught it at an early stage, a newspaper has reported.

Jones, who directed the cult comedy troupe's three films, "Life of Brian", "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" and "The Meaning of Life", is in a private London hospital after being diagnosed, the Daily Mirror said Saturday.

His agent Jodi Shield told the newspaper: "He is having a routine exploratory operation in the next few days.

"His surgeon is fairly confident -- they think they've got it early enough.

"He's in great spirits. We're having to make him stop working."

The paper said Jones, 64, was told of his diagnosis just days before Wednesday's London premiere of Monty Python musical "Spamalot", when he appeared alongside fellow Pythons Eric Idle, Michael Palin and Terry Gilliam.

Jones often took female roles in Monty Python's films and sketches -- perhaps his most famous line was in "Life of Brian" when, playing the eponymous hero's mother, he said: "He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy".

Graham Chapman, another Monty Python founder member, died in 1989 after contracting throat cancer.

clickie

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Let's hope he gets better.

If he dies, at least he'll get a great eulogy.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

You gotta die of something.
You beat me to it.

you wouldn't be saying that if your mom had it.
That's a fallacious argument, I'm afraid. Think before posting next time, please.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Actually my dad died of it. I can't muster the empathy to care about people I don't know in person who are going through what is after all a pretty everyday occurance.

Except Terry Jones might have contributed more to society than just raising a child to adulthood. :lol:

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

when I saw thw title I thought this topic was about Star Jones and I didn't understand what the title was saying.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Actually my dad died of it. I can't muster the empathy to care about people I don't know in person who are going through what is after all a pretty everyday occurance.

Except Terry Jones might have contributed more to society than just raising a child to adulthood. ;)

He... told jokes?

Terry Jones so far ...

Cue discussion on relative worth of the arts versus science / whatever. :)

Is there something good I'm supposed to be seeing here other than Monty Python?

And I'll be seriously disappointed in this board if anybody seriously argues for the importance of sketch comedy over medicine.

Is there something good I'm supposed to be seeing here other than Monty Python?

And I'll be seriously disappointed in this board if anybody seriously argues for the importance of sketch comedy over medicine.

Firsly, comparisons are odious: that was my point.

Secondly, you are completely ignoring his writing credits, e.g. just look at the stuff from the sixties:

• "The Two Ronnies" (1971) TV Series (writer)

• "Do Not Adjust Your Set" (1967) TV Series (writer)

• "Twice a Fortnight" (1967) TV Series (writer)

• "A Series of Bird's" (1967) TV Series (additional material)

• "The Late Show" (1966) TV Series (writer)

• "The Frost Report" (1966) TV Series (writer)

If you haven't heard / seen any of that, it's (probably) too late. But it was brilliant satirical, incisive humour, and I'd be prepared to argue that it had some impact on politics then AND now. So yeah, it's had a bigger impact than individual medicines, because we're all living in a political world. So yeah, it's more important than medicine, because not everyone needs a cancer drug, but everyone lives in the country when they take conscripts to war.

:)

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

"

Except Terry Jones might have contributed more to society than just raising a child to adulthood. wink.gif"

My dad wrote over 60 books, historical dramas and social satire mostly, I like Monty Python but I would hesitate on calling any of their movies 'contributions to society'

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I'd argue the importance of Terry Jones over anybody in this board.

I'd also argue the importance of Frank Zappa over medicine as well, but why don't i see the latest biology nobel prize winner as your avatar?

Edited by Lyric Suite

I'd argue the importance of Terry Jones over anybody in this board.

I'd also argue the importance of Frank Zappa over medicine as well, but why don't i see the latest biology nobel prize winner as your avatar?

You're right my avatar disproves my conclusion lol :lol: