Fox And Universal Say Goodbye To Halo Movie

metadigital

Master_of_Tumbleweeds writes

"20th Century and Universal Pictures, the two studios that agreed to co-finance the film adaptation of Microsoft's Halo video game, have abruptly pulled out of the project. This leaves executive producers Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh without financing or distribution. A ballooning budget (rumored to have been closing in on the $200 Mil mark) and apparent lack of confidence in rookie feature film director Neill Blomkamp are being named the major culprits for Fox and Universal's decision." 

All is not lost however. Microsoft is in talks with other studios and hopes to move ahead with the production in time for a 2007 shoot. New Line and DreamWorks initially passed on the project last year, citing concerns over the cost and the screenplay by Alex Garland, the acclaimed author of The Beach whose screenplays include 28 Days Later. Sony is not believed to be in the chase since its PlayStation console rivals Microsoft's Xbox, the platform that launched Halo.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I hate to see anything go bad for Peter Jackson but do we need another video game to movie production? Nearly all of them are very lackluster and downright a waste of time and film.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

It just represents the current marketing model of the Hollywood machine; a film idea is taken (from a book, tv show, game, current event, etc) and made into a "cinematic experience" that they can take their commission on top of the outlaid costs to make it.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I'm just confused why they chose to give this project to a rookie director, particularly if the budget really is ballooning towards 200 million. If Jackson was actually directing, instead of just producing, it might have a shot at being a decent flick.

It is said that there is a fine line between tragedy and comedy. Uwe Boll's film crafting is that line.

Edited by Sand

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

John Cleese and Eric Idle should direct and star as every.single.character in the movie.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

That'd just be a live-action version of Red vs. Blue ...

Nah, think of it. The flood would be John and Eric in very silly costumes and MC would be John, who would flirt with Cortana, played by Eric.

Silly is the key-word here...

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I'm just confused why they chose to give this project to a rookie director, particularly if the budget really is ballooning towards 200 million.  If Jackson was actually directing, instead of just producing, it might have a shot at being a decent flick.

They wanted someone with the right vision. If you've seen some of the stuff the guy has done, its very good. He did the 2nd Citroen transformer commercial I believe, as well as a short about alien refugees landing in South Africa and being segregated and abused by the populace. Had a cool scene where one of the aliens is being shot at by some soldiers, so the alien uses like telekinesis or something and throws a truck at them.

Its one of those things that bothers me. You need experience to get the job, but to get experience you need the job.

Edited by Oerwinde
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg