NwN2 Review

metadigital

Neverwinter Nights 2

Snuggle up this Christmas with a role-playing game that gives you more than boring old Santa Claus ...

MUCH LIKE THE FIRST GAME, it's impossible to tell you how much fun you'll get out of Neverwinter Nights. Oh, the singleplayer game is easily enough covered

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

"NwN2's construction kit origins make many of the areas feel very samey,"

Hmmm.. And, here I was belieivng the hype that NWN2 was gonna 'fix' this 'problem'. Hmmm..

btw, What did they rate the original NWN?

p.s. Fix your title. It's a NWN2 review; not a NWN review. BIG difference! :blink:"

Anyways, the score looks good; but they wrote in too many generalities. I could have written that review (as could anyone) even though I haven't played the game and have just skimmed the toolset. Hmmm..

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I am intrigued that they think the dungeons might be too easy until the kingpin is encountered.

That might suit me just fine.

One the one hand it suggests that playing with a normal strength character will allow more focus on plot and less on buffs.

On the other it suggests that playing more difficult characters - like a tiefling - or drow - might be doable but challenging.

Sounds pretty good.

No mention of bugs. That is kinda suprising actually. There have got to be bugs. Maybe they just didn't notice.

:rolleyes:

As dark is the absence of light, so evil is the absence of good.

If you would destroy evil, do good.

Evil cannot be perfected. Thank God.

Don't complain! The lac; of bug mentioning can *only* be good news. It's the one negative thing reviewers never mind mentioning even if they are 'paid off'. LOL :D

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

That game will work on my computer or else it will first cry and then work.

My attitude towards requirements is totalitarian.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

"NwN2's construction kit origins make many of the areas feel very samey,"

Hmmm.. And, here I was belieivng the hype that NWN2 was gonna 'fix' this 'problem'. Hmmm..

I think the tilesets are much more flexible (people who have used the SDK, this is your cue to make a comment).

What did they rate the original NWN?

I have asked; I'm not particularly motivated to go look, but I'd guess it was in the 80s.

Fix your title. It's a NWN2 review; not a NWN review. BIG difference! :rolleyes:"

:("

Anyways, the score looks good; but they wrote in too many generalities. I could have written that review (as could anyone) even though I haven't played the game and have just skimmed the toolset. Hmmm..

I think it is a good review: tells you what is good and what is not, without divulging spoilers. (I know how difficult it is for you to undrestand that last bit, Volo, but see!, it is possible. ;p )

I am intrigued that they think the dungeons might be too easy until the kingpin is encountered.

That might suit me just fine.

One the one hand it suggests that playing with a normal strength character will allow more focus on plot and less on buffs.

On the other it suggests that playing more difficult characters - like a tiefling - or drow - might be doable but challenging.

Sounds pretty good.

That comment must be taken in context with the antecedent: "With your ability to Rest almost anywhere, and a full-team instead of NwN's solitary Henchman, there are a few surprises during your missions, and little challenge". In other words, you can rest after every fight, and all the fights in a given dungeon will be of the same approximate difficulty, until the boss.

:(

Those magazine reviewers get paid for a useless job to spread lies and myths.

On the one hand the devs say a SM 2.0 card is required (starting with 128MB cards I think), and then the reviewers say a 512MB card is required. DOES.NOT.COMPUTE.

Even high-end FPS now don't need 512MB cards. Tsk Tsk.

I'm not sure who you are accusing of lying, but it is a little odd that the minimum requirements are a 512MB 3D card; that is probably a misprint and might be 128MB / 256MB SM2 3D card.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

This is indeed encouraging, and an interesting website. Thanks for sharing the link.

Edited by Sand

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Yeah, it's always the misprints. They happen so often, someone might suggest most reviewers are just a little stupid, that's all. Doesn't matter, the journalism in the game industry is still in the baby shoes, so no harm caused.

I think the people who actually believed 512mb was the minimum are the stupid ones :-"

"NWN2 wont run unless I paint my monitor green?! Oh. I guess Id better go get the paint then."

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

NWVault has reported that a German magazine known as Gamestar has reviewed NWN 2 in their latest issue and gave it 85% and a gold star.

http://nwvault.ign.com/fullstory.php?id=22434

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

Well, if I haven't seen it it is new to me. :-

Hmmm... That sounds like some lame broadcast slogan for showing reruns.

That is why I mostly rely on player reviews instead of magazine reviews if I am wary of getting a particular title or not.

Though, I should point out that the 'saemyness' of NWN1 never bothered me and I found people exaggerated. I have no doubt it's the same for NWN2 too.

This is the thing that actually bothered me a lot, though I think NWN2 will not be as bad.

Yeah, at least I wont feel like I'm playing Lands of Lore again when I'm in a forest in NWN2. That's not a criticism of NWN1, there wasn't much other way to do it back then.

Well, whatever. The same magazine gave Kotor2 88% and criticized the shortcomings, while it seems to them the NWN2 OC is almost perfect, but give it only a 85%. So much for magazine reviews. They're so fickle sometimes....

But the question now is whether is the author of both reviews is the same person.

Nah, I don't think that should be necessary: if a magazine endorses a score, then that should provide confidence that their internal processes are robust enough to be consistent.

Also, I've been reading this magazine for a number of years, and I find their reviews are pretty close to my own tastes, so I am quite pleased that the game has scored so well.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Well, whatever. The same magazine gave Kotor2 88% and criticized the shortcomings, while it seems to them the NWN2 OC is almost perfect, but give it only a 85%. So much for magazine reviews. They're so fickle sometimes....

But the question now is whether is the author of both reviews is the same person.

AFAIK, Gamestar has several reviewers for one game. Then they'll hold a conference where they discuss pros/cons etc. and then decide in groups.