KotoR 3: Ideas, Suggestions, Discussion

Interesting. The announcement of Obsidian's upcoming development of an Alien game means Kotor III is a long way away, if it's coming at all...and if Obsidian is developing it.

Oh well. Like the idea of having a lightsaber right at the beginning. Yes, let's have that.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

How did you see a scene, when that particular part never made it past the early second draft of the script?

It was shown to test audiences. I happened to see that version. The reaction was not favorable, which is why they changed the ending. I have no problem with that. I DO have a problem with them denying that it ever existed in the first place. But, don't take my word for it. If you really want to know, see if you can track down a Laserdisk version of Return of the Jedi - and maybe a Laserdisk player. This is something I have been doing myself. If I do manage to, I will share the video.

I really have mixed feelings about the new and improved versions of episodes IV - VI, having seen them all in the theater when they came out. All in all they look much better graphically (especially the tie-fighter scene in A New Hope), but some things that were added and removed just irk me a bit.

Also, I did not say "all beings" I said all force sensitive beings. Big difference there. ;)

I must also say that it would have been weird to see Hanharr as a Jedi. I think being able to make Mira, Disciple, Bao-Dur, Atton and Handmaiden was more than enough Jedi-making for the game.

For KotOR III, I think continuing the Mandalorian plot would be very cool. Hard to pick planets for me. I have been playing both KotOR I and II again within the last month, trying to figure out what would make the most sense as far as that goes. I think tying in all the previous storylines - or perhaps elaborating on the ones that didn't go too far - would be great.

What I'd really want to see is the marketing peeps all beaten to within and inch of their lives, tied up and gagged then locked in a closet until the people doing all the real work finish. No more bugs...no more missing quests/planets....no more feeling like you've only got half a game because some idiots decided to release the game before its ready.

Interesting. The announcement of Obsidian's upcoming development of an Alien game means Kotor III is a long way away, if it's coming at all...and if Obsidian is developing it.

Oh well. Like the idea of having a lightsaber right at the beginning. Yes, let's have that.

I definitely agree with being able to wield a lightsaber at the beginning of the game, as well as even more enhanced customization if it. Though the lack of one was an understandable piece of the previous 2 KOTOR stories, it is just a lot more fun to run around with a humming energy blade. It also seems that a KOTOR III is a while off, though I wish it was already here. When it does come out, because if it doesn't there will be many screaming Star Wars fans, I would like to see a little more of a resolution at the end of the game. Both KOTOR I and KOTOR II raised questions that were not answered. Thats my opinion anyway. Any other takers?

I also agree about having a 'saber from the start like KOTOR, but then again in KOTOR II it did sorta tie into the plot. And that KOTOR II did have a really annoying start but it all comes down to what you yourself prefer, saber in the beginning and go straight for the owning or start with a crappy vibroblade. I think the choice is pretty clear :*

IN CASE OF EMERGENCY: Break glass to get hammer, use hammer to get rock, rock beats scissors, scissors cuts the yarn, cat plays with the yarn, use cat for protection.

Saber from the beginning: depends on the plot, imo. If you start face down in an abandoned lab unable to remember who you are, it makes sense to me to not have a saber at first.

While I prefer brandishing a saber, I also like the story aspect of having to aquire (or at least build) one. They could make it less of a puzzle to making it, tho...like just needing to find your old mentor or something cliched like that.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

You've got a point there, hack'n'slach with the good ol' 'saber is awesome but a structured plot is a must. IE: How you slowly figured out wth happened on peragus and pre-peragus slowly in KOTOR II.

IN CASE OF EMERGENCY: Break glass to get hammer, use hammer to get rock, rock beats scissors, scissors cuts the yarn, cat plays with the yarn, use cat for protection.

One of the ideas that has been bandied around for months is that you

should start in a jedi (or sith) academy as a padawan/apprentice, this

means you start with a basic, non-upgradeable lightsaber. Once you

complete the trials (prologue level) you get to make your own fully

upgradeable, customised saber.

I personally really like this idea, as you are starting a character from

very near the beginning of their time as jedi, with no adventurous past

that you don't know (amnesia is getting dull, lol) Although you can still

find out the historys from the chronicler of the academy you start on.

This would also allow you to have a master to take the Jolee/Kreia role,

and at somepoint you: are assigned a padawan or find a force sensitive

which you then train, properly I might add, saber sparring and force power

sparring, plus giving them individual quests. Add in another jedi who's along

for the ride and that makes 4 jedi, which is enough for me.

It would also open up the good old, apprentice turning on master, falling to

DS, and being redeemed/killed storyline. Which we all love.

Laterz...

Saber from the beginning: depends on the plot, imo. If you start face down in an abandoned lab unable to remember who you are, it makes sense to me to not have a saber at first.

While I prefer brandishing a saber, I also like the story aspect of having to aquire (or at least build) one. They could make it less of a puzzle to making it, tho...like just needing to find your old mentor or something cliched like that.

I agree. I think that, instead of finding your sabre or making it, you have to find the master who will teach you how to make it. Then, when the teacher is finished with you, you have the Create/Upgrade Lightsaber feat or something to that effect. That's right, make it a part of the actual rule system.

And, if you really want to add those powerful crystals, well, you can't do that unless you have advanced up that feat tree...the level 1 feat only gets you a working device and the ability to change out the color crystal.

and, speaking of color crystals, I don't think you should just find the exotic crystals on the floor as part of random loot....there should only be one exotic of each color and a fully fleshed-out side quest for each.

basically, I like the idea that you have a training lightsaber for much of your beginning and intermediate training (and this would include helping on actual missions) and then, before you graduate, you have to trek across rugged terrain without one and talk to the master who will effectively give you the feat to create your own. you have to find all the parts you need and then construct it and then return to the masters with a functioning one.

the idea that you start as a Jedi (who had been a Youngling, etc) with a more straight-up backstory (though you can customize somewhat via dialogue) and you are only without your lightsaber when it becomes a necessary part of your training.

I like the idea that upgrading lightsabres, or creating them, is a special feat. As you reach higher levels you can add more upgrades to it, as long as this feat comes free anyway. This might help balance gameplay if sabres are avalible from the start as they would be basic sabres and roughly equal to vibroblades.

I'd like to see the extra crystals alter the colour of the lightsabre blade somewhat, you could split a sabre blade into three; Core, inner corona, outer corona. The core colour is the colour of the primary crystal, while the crystals in the other slots give a faint colour tint to one of the other two corona's. It would also be nice if some of the other upgrades altered the blade in other ways-a fencing emmiter could make the blade look slightly thinner, a vibrating lens might make the blade seem to be flickering, a defection emmiter might make the blade look thicker etc.

I agree. I think that, instead of finding your sabre or making it, you have to find the master who will teach you how to make it. Then, when the teacher is finished with you, you have the Create/Upgrade Lightsaber feat or something to that effect. That's right, make it a part of the actual rule system.

And, if you really want to add those powerful crystals, well, you can't do that unless you have advanced up that feat tree...the level 1 feat only gets you a working device and the ability to change out the color crystal.

and, speaking of color crystals, I don't think you should just find the exotic crystals on the floor as part of random loot....there should only be one exotic of each color and a fully fleshed-out side quest for each.

That would be awesome. Pick a master, and it has vast effects on your training...

I definitely agree with being able to wield a lightsaber at the beginning of the game, as well as even more enhanced customization if it. Though the lack of one was an understandable piece of the previous 2 KOTOR stories, it is just a lot more fun to run around with a humming energy blade. It also seems that a KOTOR III is a while off, though I wish it was already here. When it does come out, because if it doesn't there will be many screaming Star Wars fans, I would like to see a little more of a resolution at the end of the game. Both KOTOR I and KOTOR II raised questions that were not answered. Thats my opinion anyway. Any other takers?

Why are we assuming obsidian is even doing it? and why couldint this game be kotor 3? if their is any news i havent heard please inform me from what iv read it seems to fit the bill though

I like the the idea of eather starting with a saber or getting one FAST. I don't feel like a Jedi if my char is too pathetic to creat one.

I also like the idea of starting the game in an academy. You can learn to control your char while you "learn" how to be a basic Jedi. I would REALY like it if they could pace it out so that you get the chance to work your way up as a char. Starting out fighting ppl that are wimpy (but hard for you, having just started) only to become more powerful and find them just as hard is stupid.

I think a good gradient would be to fight training droids (to learn how to play), them end up out in an area where no one knows how to fight but will anyways (as they think they can just jump you), then groups of them, then get some ppl that have a little training in weapons, then groups of them, then trained soldiers and/or bounty hunters, then groups..., then dark sith, then..., etc,

As you get better you should REALY find that you ARE better. Where you had trouble fighting a guy, you should latter find yourself fighting ten of them at once. After that, I expect them to NEVER be a problem again!

All too often you find that some punk with little triaining with a blaster is hard for you to kill when you are a high lvl char, what is that about? A great solution for the ending areas is to have to fight shear numbers, after all, not one of them can equal you, but 30 at once just might be able to. But plz note that this does not make each of the 30 guys hard, it makes them all at once hard to keep the challange up.

Another thing is that K3 has got to do something to save the Republic, it is @#$%up. You get to really mess it up in the first 2 games. You got to do smething about that or there will be no Emporer and no Vader.

Edited by Watchman

Why are we assuming obsidian is even doing it? and why couldint this game be kotor 3? if their is any news i havent heard please inform me from what iv read it seems to fit the bill though

By Alien game, they mean the Alien series, not just a game based in outer space. and in all likeliness, obsidian will do kotor 3 if it happens

If we are to start off as some new character, we should be able to have a lightsaber in the beginning but it should be a choice. For example, in this instance, I'll most likely want my character's primary weapon to the a blaster pistol, and being shoved a lightsaber that doesn't necessarily fit my character wouldn't be an ideal scenario

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.

If we are to start off as some new character, we should be able to have a lightsaber in the beginning but it should be a choice. For example, in this instance, I'll most likely want my character's primary weapon to the a blaster pistol, and being shoved a lightsaber that doesn't necessarily fit my character wouldn't be an ideal scenario

I don't know. I like the idea of a SW RPG where you can be anything you like (bounty hunter, merc, etc) but KOTOR is about force-sensitives and they will always go with a lightsaber as their weapon of choice.

Sure, you can use a pistol if you want but you will still get storyline bits about the lightsaber...that's just unavoidable.....partly because any Big Baddie will be able to resist anything you might throw at him save for lightsaber and/or force attacks.

I do think we need to see better ranged weapons on the high-end (missile launchers and the like) but not for the PC, only for Soldier-classed NPCs.

What about starting as a newly discovered Jedi who's on their way to get training at the new Jedi order, but the ship crashes. Leaving you with the job of finding help for yourself and the Jedi who'd found you. You could start the game using that Jedi's sabre-one that you can't upgrade-and have to make your own sabre later on when you reach the academy.

The Jedi in the ship could act like Kreia did in giving you advice from afar, while using a sabre you can't upgrade would balance things out-If it was a short sabre it would be more or less the same as starting with a vibrosword.

The level could either be a prelude to getting further training, or it could work as a way to discover the threat of the game you have to face. In the latter case you'd only get the option to start making your own sabre when you reach a particular level or location. Maybe adding in a small quest to find the parts after this would work fairly well too, better and less annoying that KOTOR 2 since you already have a sabre to use until you make yours.

I don't know. I like the idea of a SW RPG where you can be anything you like (bounty hunter, merc, etc) but KOTOR is about force-sensitives and they will always go with a lightsaber as their weapon of choice.

Sure, you can use a pistol if you want but you will still get storyline bits about the lightsaber...that's just unavoidable.....partly because any Big Baddie will be able to resist anything you might throw at him save for lightsaber and/or force attacks.

I do think we need to see better ranged weapons on the high-end (missile launchers and the like) but not for the PC, only for Soldier-classed NPCs.

I was picturing a Jedi that has a blaster as his primary weapon and the Force as a secondary weapon. ... and like you mentioned, certain Force-wielding individuals will be able to deflect the blaster shots, but that's why you have the Force, which is a little more difficult to deflect...

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.

What about starting as a newly discovered Jedi who's on their way to get training at the new Jedi order, but the ship crashes. Leaving you with the job of finding help for yourself and the Jedi who'd found you. You could start the game using that Jedi's sabre-one that you can't upgrade-and have to make your own sabre later on when you reach the academy.

The Jedi in the ship could act like Kreia did in giving you advice from afar, while using a sabre you can't upgrade would balance things out-If it was a short sabre it would be more or less the same as starting with a vibrosword.

The level could either be a prelude to getting further training, or it could work as a way to discover the threat of the game you have to face. In the latter case you'd only get the option to start making your own sabre when you reach a particular level or location. Maybe adding in a small quest to find the parts after this would work fairly well too, better and less annoying that KOTOR 2 since you already have a sabre to use until you make yours.

Sounds to me a little bit too much like the start of Jedi Academy. Not that there is

anything wrong with that. :p"

I was picturing a Jedi that has a blaster as his primary weapon and the Force as a secondary weapon. ... and like you mentioned, certain Force-wielding individuals will be able to deflect the blaster shots, but that's why you have the Force, which is a little more difficult to deflect...

well, you can "handicap" yourself by not using a lightsaber. I'm just saying that the devs will probably not stop using the lightsaber as an important story hook.

now, it would be nice to have the kind of lightsaber that they used in Epi III -- you know, cutting through the roof of an elevator!

but if they give us that, they have to make us pay (big time) to get good at it.

I loved playing Kotor, but i got very dissapointed about kotor 2. I felt it like i didn't fully control my character, and that my path was the same whatever i did. And Peragus was the worst planet ever to start on. In the first kotor i felt free and i also felt that i was a part of an inviroment, and i dicided what do to. There was much more things like hunting down people, and about choosing side. It was like that with the Hidden Beks - Black Vulkars, and last but noet least, Dark side - Light side. Atleast that's my opinion.

One day, when i was on the internet i read a topic about kotor 3 and ideas about a new game engine and thing like that. First i thought that was an absolutely stupid idea, because i loved the good old engine! :D

But when a friend of me bought SW: Battlefront, i changed my mind. I wanted to see an SW RPG with the same style of fighting. I know it sounds strange, but that was what i had in mind. :)

I know that it would be hard to play withas much hitpoints as the enemy, but i thought good armor or force could adjust that. Armor -> less damage.

Ranged weapons would then kill alot faster and would be very efficient. the enemy would also be alot harder to kill. And that means a bigger challenge.

Ofcourse i couldn't forget Jedi. They are very important too kotor. It's the main thing in the game. How your character evolves from a padawan to a Jedi Knight. They would do alot damage, and would have special skills and attributes.

My main comment is more enemies, and enemies that are harder to defeat, especially bosses.