Anyone looking forward to FF12?

Azure79

I've been watching some movies of the game and gameplay seems a lot more different than previous titles.

I've played FF 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8 years ago and I enjoyed it then, but trying to play FF10, I just grew tired of the random battles and menu-turn based system. It was frustrating to walk a few steps battle, walk a few steps battle, again and again and again.

FF12 seems to done away with that having all the monsters visible on the travel screen. Plus letting the CPU control NPC party members through the Gambit system seems a lot like assigning scripts in the BG games, a system I've always liked. I like the overall art design too.

I think I'll give this one a try when it comes out.

How about you?

I'm somewhat interested as I've heard it's supposed to be free-form with a huge overhead map. We'll see when it arrives.. in 2008 or so in Europe.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I'm somewhat interested as I've heard it's supposed to be free-form with a huge overhead map. We'll see when it arrives.. in 2008 or so in Europe.

I think you'll have it sooner than that. :p

The game does look good. Unlike most, I thought the battle system in the demo was good and a nice change from the random turn-based battles. I watched the trailer at the official web site and was impressed with the voice acting. As long as the story is good, that's all that really matters.

I will never care about Final Fantasy.

Ever.

Ya know I'm pretty sure the game doesn't care about *you* either. So I guess the feelings are mutual then....

Good. It knows where I am if it wants to apologize for being the suck.

Edited by Pop

As long as the story is good, that's all that really matters.

I've never understood this argument. If story is all that really matters in a game then aren't you better off reading a book?

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

As long as the story is good, that's all that really matters.

I've never understood this argument. If story is all that really matters in a game then aren't you better off reading a book?

I like reading a good book but I also like playing RPG's with a GOOD story. What's the f'ing point in spending 50-100hrs playing a game with a boring storyline?

I will never care about Final Fantasy.

Ever.

Ya know I'm pretty sure the game doesn't care about *you* either. So I guess the feelings are mutual then....

Good. It knows where I am if it wants to apologize for being the suck.

Looks like you'll be waiting a long time.

How about you?

Square's been dead to me since they passed on bringing Front Mission 5 to NA or Europe.

So.. no.

Them Bastards!

Well, look at it this way, FM4 sucked so you probably didn't miss much with 5.

I actually liked FM4.

Anywho... from what I've heard from those who have played FM5.... it's the best one of the entire series. :p

I like reading a good book but I also like playing RPG's with a GOOD story. What's the f'ing point in spending 50-100hrs playing a game with a boring storyline?

Ask those who play MMOs. :p

I kid... I kid...well, except in the case of SWG.

MMO's are nothing more than a glorified chat room. :(

How about you?

Square's been dead to me since they passed on bringing Front Mission 5 to NA or Europe.

So.. no.

Them Bastards!

I actually liked FM4.

Anywho... from what I've heard from those who have played FM5.... it's the best one of the entire series. :p

Import it and learn to read Japanese. :(

As for Square, I haven't had fun playing a Final Fantasy game since IX. I thought X was boring, X-2 was ok but it sucked playing through the same game world again and XI should have never been an MMO. XII looks good though and the same guys who gave us Final Fantasy Tactics and Vagrant Story - two of my favorite Square games- were put in charge of XII. Hopefully it works!

Everything I've read about it says its the best FF yet, so I'll definitely have a look to see if its better than 6.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Ofcourse i look forward to it. The FF series has the best stories on any video-game medium. Only games like Deus Ex and Planescape: Torment have better stories.

And the argument "Why don't you read a book instead?" holds no merit. Games are flexible enough to focus on story, gameplay and art design in one interactive package.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

FF6 was my favorite too. :wub:

But I don't think I could really play it now that I abhor random battles for some reason. I don't know.

I think I've gotten lazy. I don't want to watch the screen change every few steps.

I don't think its the random battles themselves thats the problem, its that the encounter rates have been getting higher in JRPGs. Back in FF6 sometimes I found myself wishing the encounter rate was higher so I could do some levelling, getting a battle every 10-12 steps, while in recent games I've been cursing the encounter rate because I get a random battle every 3 or 4 steps.

Though I do prefer the current trend to actually place the creatures on the map, I don't hate random battles, just high encounter rates.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I played FFIX-IX and liked them for the most part... of course, I mostly tanked hours into 7-9 when I was about ten and I was stupid enough to bear all the boring battles and so forth (I played X last year and was so damn bored), then played 4-6 on emulator with windowed and alt-tabbing. Still, some of them were great games with great narratives for those who like them.

FFXII is probably the most amiable for people around here, and probably has a shot with those who liked pre-PS2 FFs. I'll be able to try it by borrowing a friend's PS2 in a few weeks... if I like it I'd probably finish it then in a super-run and be done with it. :wub:

How about you?

So.. no.

Them Bastards!

I actually liked FM4.

Anywho... from what I've heard from those who have played FM5.... it's the best one of the entire series. :wub:

Well, on the bright side, they're remaking FM1 for the DS.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)