Movies You Have Seen Lately

Darque

I saw about 20 or 30mins, of Blood Diamond. My friend Robert and I were asked by the Metroplex employees to go and see a different movie after we "disrupted" the movie by laughing uncontrollably everytime Leo would talk in his (South African?) accent. Things really took a turn for the worse after the employee didn't get Robert's Cape Fear reference and suggested we go see the dancing penguin movie. I'm now convinced that off-duty cops have absolutely no power.

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Accepted... stupid, stupid film. Its based on a stupid premise too.

Some kid gets rejected from all the colleges to which he applies. In order to avoid his parents disapproval he makes up a fake college! Cue much college based humour... but not funny and like a diluted form of Animal House. The stupidest bit is when the fake college becomes real by getting accreditation.

Hmm... maybe its a jab at crappy colleges and stupid people doing worthless degrees.

That's the movie with that annoying Apple guy?

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Snakes On A Plane. I could see how some people would say it was horrible, as not everyone has the same tastes, but for this show to end up on so many 'worst of 2006' lists is beyond me. Take it for what it is, and you might just enjoy it.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Snakes On A Plane.  I could see how some people would say it was horrible, as not everyone has the same tastes, but for this show to end up on so many 'worst of 2006' lists is beyond me.  Take it for what it is, and you might just enjoy it.

I enjoyed it when I saw it in theatres, however I have a feeling that it is a movie that would have been more fun had I gone to see it with a bunch of friends. :ermm:

I liked the third Die Hard. Willis and Jackson worked pretty well together.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Die Hard With A Vengeance is nearly on a par with the original Die Hard. (The second, however, is horrid)

Anyway, I saw Howl's Moving Castle which... I guess was good. I dunno, it was good, but it was just so... Miyazaki.

Edited by TrueNeutral

Ghosts of Mars - Henstridge's part was far too hefty, and she only shows the goods near the end; Ice Cube... I like how his recent films are almost as gut-wrenching embarrassing as his albums (of the same period, at least); Statham's reliable, Pam Grier a waste. The score made me laugh. Sort of watchable, but only if you've got company, male preferably.

Ultraviolet - The British show; not making it a huge gothy mess aimed at teens was a good choice; Idris Elba should've played James Bond.

Spaced - I like how they're all irredeemable failures with failed lives and (ever-?)failing friends.

Fever Pitch - The British, Hornby-scripted film; in all probability, I'll never watch it again, but I'd be lying if I said I hated it; Firth was okay, the girl easy on the eyes; one of these days I'll sit by the telly and watch High Fidelity.

La Plan

The Black Dahlia. Okay movie but Im not sure why they bothered with the Black Dahlia case. They had almost every facet of the case wrong and took such ridiculous creative writing liberties they might as well made some fabricated murder and built around that.

You probably know this but fyi just in case:

The film was adapted from James Ellroy's bestselling novel. Ellroy built his story around a few basic truths of the Elizabeth Short murder, but the book is otherwise entirely and deliberately fictional. He chose the subject for many reasons, including a sense of psychological connection to the case (Ellroy's own mother was murdered in a similarly unsolved fashion). More importantly, the tragedy of Elizabeth Short is L.A.'s definitive murder mystery: scandalous, lurid and unfathomable. Hollywood loves these RL plot hooks -- no matter how disingenuous the stories become.

Btw, I found the film terribly disappointing--but not because it was fiction. It failed for me on nearly every level; it was by turns ludicrous, melodramatic and lifeless.

For a much better Ellroy adaptation, rent "L.A. Confidential." Or else pin your film noir hopes on Ellroy's upcoming "White Jazz" or "The Night Watchman."

What About Bob?

I've seen this movie a bunch of times, but just realized Frank Oz directed it,

Dr. Marvin: I want some peace and quiet!

Bob: Well I'll be quiet.

Siggy: And I'll be peace.

Really, it's the single best dystopian claustrophobic horror film I've seen. Not that there's a lot of those, but Alien is easily better than it's predecessors(like Thing) and certainly lightyears better than it's successors. Gripping, surprisingly disgusting and while the production certainly could have been better(not to mention filming, what the heck was with those close-up shots all the time?), it's a tight horrorfest. Much more complete then the botched up thing they call Alien 3, urghh.

What first enamoured me was the inside look of Nostromo. My god, it looks like a submarine in space! Everywhere is damp, steam leaking from pipes and cooling system dysfunctioning, and the ship seems like it's been sunken under the waves since the 60's. Barely working and a mess of pipes and odd fixtures that don't seem to serve other purpose than look depressing. Yet it's somehow beatiful, just like the inside of the alien(somebody called them "Pilots) ship. I really liked the contrast between the organic look and manmade once the xenomroph starts to take out the crew. This film certainly has great art direction. Bless you, Giger.

Another thing that held me in a firm grip was the suffocating feeling of claustrophy and, later on, loneliness. Just like Ripley at the end in the escape shuttle, the watcher gets assaulted by the feeling of frailty or better yet the aura of 'alien'. An atmosphere that just screams "you can't see it, you can't run away from it and it's so different, so superior, that you can never best it or understand it" and is further enhanced by the claustrophy of tight hatches and corridors of Nostromo. When the captain was skulking in the air shafts with the flamethrower and perspiration started slowly to show and he had to keep the flamethrower ready all the time, I couldn't help feeling more than a bit of creeped out.

I guess the experience could have been better if I didn't already know that Ripley would survive. I didn't really fear for her, which sort of ruined the end since I couldn't sympathise with her that much. And on that ruining part, when the alien chestbrusted from Kane, I just kep grinning, since the special effect was so aged. :D

Great movie. I'll have to watch Aliens next, since it has been the odd 8 years when I last saw it.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I think they did a great job when they decided to take Aliens in a different directions than Alien.. part of what made the movie as good as it is! it's still claustraphobic, but the threat is something entirely different, as the Aliens are now more of an ustoppable force, while still being the creeping adversary which will outwit and outrun you on every turn. One of the best horror/action films I've ever seen.

Fortune favors the bald.

Yeah, I'd say I love Alien and Aliens for entirely different reasons. One is a thriller and one is a great action flick. I love that they were able to take the fiction and create two very different approaches to it. It's a shame that 3, 4 and AvP weren't able to tap the same magic.

I actually haven't even seen 4.

Yeah, I'd say I love Alien and Aliens for entirely different reasons.  One is a thriller and one is a great action flick.  I love that they were able to take the fiction and create two very different approaches to it.  It's a shame that 3, 4 and AvP weren't able to tap the same magic. 

I actually haven't even seen 4.

#4 looks really good with some good moments but the pacing sucks and it's pretty much a Ripley(not Weaver) vehicle made for lines like:

Jonah: "Hey I thought you were dead"

Ripley: "Yeah I get that a lot"

And the ending, after the "birth", is atrocious.

And as if there wouldn't be material that withstood the acid blood of the aliens at that stage of technological development, after the scientists specifically created the laboratory to study the aliens ... :p

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT