Movies You Have Seen Lately

Darque

Blade Runner: The Director's Cut

Considering this film was made in 1982 (I can forgive the 2019 timeline for space colonisation) from a book written in 1968, the dystopian vision is remarkably consistent with the nightmare scenarios of our own time. As always, Dιck challenges the notions the audience has of identity and self, turning them upside-down and inside-out.

Ridley Scott had just completed Alien, and the Lucasian SW influences ("future-perfect technology": future tech seen as well-worn), for example.

I can't recommend it highly enough. But do ensure you watch the Director's Cut.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Just saw "Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind" .. :ermm:

Kaufman is a superb screenwriter! I've always loved his ability to twist what we thought we knew and coat it in new colours and depths for the audience to explore even further..

Fortune favors the bald.

The dir. cut of BladeRunner is definitely tops.

We're considering going to see Departed today.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

See it and tell us what you think. How great it is tends to hinge on whether or not people saw the original Infernal Affairs.

I'd definitely reccomend it, solely on the Wahlberg / Baldwin supporting performances.

The ending of The Departed is also one of the best in recent memory.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Hubby didn't want to be in an evening crowd so we went to Fry's instead and spent...uh..way more than the price of a movie ticket. :p

Started to watch Prarie Home Companion movie, cause my parent loved that show and I was curious - plus a great sounding cast - but the first 30 minutes bored me to tears. Very rambling/no point style. Good for a radio show, not so good for a movie, maybe.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

See it and tell us what you think. How great it is tends to hinge on whether or not people saw the original Infernal Affairs.

I'd definitely reccomend it, solely on the Wahlberg / Baldwin supporting performances.

Apparently (deciphering my interpretation of The Departed with my friend's recollection of Infernal Affairs) it is based on the trilogy, with some of the background from the last one prefixed, and some of the conclusions from the sequel suffixed to the first film.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I really enjoyed The Departed, but I have to say I prefer Infernal Affairs.

In The Departed

Colin Sullivan is a thoroughly despicable character, interested only in protecting his identity, besides being an ass in general, and in the end he gets his comeuppance.

In Infernal Affairs

Lau Kin Ming isn't too bad a guy (apart from being a mole for a Triad boss) and seemingly wants to change his ways, and with Yan's death he gets away scot free, and the film ends with the "good guy" dying and the "bad guy" walking away.

By the end of IA3

Ming, paranoid and consumed by guilt over Yan's death is exposed (by himself), fails at suicide and is left brain damaged.

Unlike The Departed which ends with

the villain being killed, as is typical of villians in Holywood, the IA series ends with Ming dealing with Continuous Hell, living out his days forced to deal with guilt over what he has done.

The last movie I saw was Superman Returns. It was better than what I expected.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

The Prestige.

It was good. It wasn't amazing, it was dark but it wasn't terribly deep. The characters are supposed to be men that turn into monsters by obsession, but I was never really convinced they were men in the first place. You never see these guys as caring individuals. They're all emotionally distant type 1s, and as such when they start getting crazy and compromising their humanity it's not as horrifying as it seems the film is trying to make it out to be.

Some people will find the plot to be a little convoluted, and the third act (aka the Prestige, heh) to be unsatisfying, but I liked it.

Bowie was a nice touch, but he plays Tesla as a sane man, which he was definitely not IRL.

If you like steampunk, you'll love this movie. Mmm-mmm Tesla Coils.

Chinese Super Ninjas! (w00t)

Yes, it's actually the title of the movie.

It's an old Shaw Brothers kung-fu movies. I first watched it when I was ten when my parents were having a party. They decided to rent some movies for the kids that were coming so we didn't get all into their hair.

They rented what seemed like a harmless kung-fu movie, but little did they know that a samurai would perform seppuku early on, people would be dismembered, a hot female ninja would get her top sliced open, (much to the fascination of the various 10-12 year old boys present), and one guy would actually step on what looked like his exposed intestines hanging down from between his legs, (The crafty Earth elemental ninjas attacked him from underground), scream in agony then get his chest slashed open by the evil Ninja leader.

Needless to say, us kids thought it was the best movie evar!!!

I'm still in that stage of digging through my memory for movies that I watched when I was little that I have fond memories of. This has been going on for a while.