America is raising its children into soft ****ies

Arkan

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/10/18/no.tag.ap/index.html

ATTLEBORO, Massachusetts (AP) -- Tag, you're out!

Officials at an elementary school south of Boston have banned kids from playing tag, touch football and any other unsupervised chase game during recess for fear they'll get hurt and hold the school liable.

Recess is "a time when accidents can happen," said Willett Elementary School Principal Gaylene Heppe, who approved the ban.

While there is no districtwide ban on contact sports during recess, local rules have been cropping up. Several school administrators around Attleboro, a city of about 45,000 residents, took aim at dodgeball a few years ago, saying it was exclusionary and dangerous. (Watch how second-grader Kelsey interpreted the rule -- 1:30)

Elementary schools in Cheyenne, Wyoming, and Spokane, Washington, also recently banned tag during recess. A suburban Charleston, South Carolina, school outlawed all unsupervised contact sports.

"I think that it's unfortunate that kids' lives are micromanaged and there are social skills they'll never develop on their own," said Debbie Laferriere, who has two children at Willett, about 40 miles south of Boston. "Playing tag is just part of being a kid."

Another Willett parent, Celeste D'Elia, said her son feels safer because of the rule. "I've witnessed enough near collisions," she said.

PS: Thanks Gfted.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

You're a bunch of idiots.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Meh, stupid people.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

What the...

This is all kinds of fun and sad at the same time.

...just what are the kids supposed to do now during recess? Bored kids get all kinds of stupid ideas.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

What the...

This is all kinds of fun and sad at the same time.

...just what are the kids supposed to do now during recess? Bored kids get all kinds of stupid ideas.

Like bringing daddy's handgun to school.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

That's just sad .. and it shows how far a fearful society will go (albeit a local one) .. Any society that that feels the need to restrict it's citizens to this degree is truely going down, not only a stupid, but dangerous road..

Fortune favors the bald.

Ha... just a week or two ago we had some sort of school wellness week in our area, as part of the federal government mandated health and nutrition programs designed to fight our nation's childhood obesity problem.

What better way to get kids in shape then to ban them from running around at recess? I have a vision of hundreds of junior high fatties lined up on the gym bleachers playing their PSPs or DSs.

School district treasurers should get ready to spend some of their permanent improvement funds on treadmills for the schools... a nice safe way for junior to get his exercise. :blink:

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

Officials at an elementary school south of Boston have banned kids from playing tag, touch football and any other unsupervised chase game during recess for fear they'll get hurt and hold the school liable.

Many of you seem to have overlooked this tidbit. I think many of the employees at the school would agree that the rule is stupid; they're just afraid of getting sued.

"Who could blame Skynet? He's such a cute, innocent, steel-bolted robot."

-Gauntlet

Many of you seem to have overlooked this tidbit. I think many of the employees at the school would agree that the rule is stupid; they're just afraid of getting sued.

Then we're raising our children to be scared as well as soft. Nice.

If I had a kid and he or she did something stupid and got hurt I will blame the kid, not the school. If parents were actually parenting instead of relying on the media and the government to raise their kids just maybe we wouldn't be having these problems. Also it would help if people weren't so bloody sue happy in this country.

Hey, this is America. Invading foreign countries under false pretenses is ok, but recess tag is not! Waay to violent. At least we have our priorities straight!

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Yeah, reminds me of that episode of South Park when everyone was sueing everyone else for sexual harassment.

"No matter who wins in the courtroom today, the public school system stands to lose at least $12 million." :blink:

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

I have a vision of hundreds of junior high fatties lined up on the gym bleachers playing their PSPs or DSs.

Kinda like SouthParks' "Make Love, Not Warcraft" episode?

I will blame the kid, not the school. 

You say that now, but I bet when you receive the bill for the new halo to keep your kids head straight you'd be whistling a different tune.

As mentioned in the tv report, this is pretty much about liability, I think.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

That's the problem with kids today. They think they can get away with anything because parents are not being parents. Too many stupid bleeding hearts sticking their noses in someone elses damned business. What ever happened to spanking your kids? O NOES you get reported to the cops as child abuse. Little johnny can't play ruff on the playground any more, he might get hurt or hurt someone else. :rolleyes:

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

That's the problem with kids today. They think they can get away with anything because parents are not being parents. Too many stupid bleeding hearts sticking their noses in someone elses damned business. What ever happened to spanking your kids? O NOES you get reported to the cops as child abuse. Little johnny can't play ruff on the playground any more, he might get hurt or hurt someone else.  :rolleyes:

lol child abuse.

And what sort of college fund do you think you'll have for your child at the age of seven or eight?  Weak.

Well, since I would probably start one while he or she is still in the womb, and figuring $250 to $300 a month... for 8 to 9 years... I am figuring at least somewhere $20,000 to $35,000, without interest.

Then we're raising our children to be scared as well as soft. Nice.

'Cautious' is probably a more accurate term than 'scared'.

Edit: Despite my arguments, I'm still against the decision. I just wonder how wrong it is for the school system to try to protect themselves from stupid parents.

Yeah, reminds me of that episode of South Park when everyone was sueing everyone else for sexual harassment.

"No matter who wins in the courtroom today, the public school system stands to lose at least $12 million."  :rolleyes:

Hm, I never saw that episode.

Edited by Skynet

"Who could blame Skynet? He's such a cute, innocent, steel-bolted robot."

-Gauntlet