What happened to the Nameless One ?

Karimi

I finished Planescape Torment  and I couldn't help but wonder what happened to the chars in the game, was N.O. dead and unable to leave the Blood war till he serves his time or is he stuck in it forever ?

Nobody leaves the blood war. But by the time he gets there he's certainly powerful enough to not get killed (easily).

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Till Ao blows his nose, I guess.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Of course, not everyone in the Blood War becomes a baatezu/tanaari. Aren't some known to escape, or at least have some kind of alternate option?

I'd like to believe the Nameless One remains hum-.. uh.. 'human'. :rolleyes:

Here is a part of the chant of the Nameless One:

He is a Petitioner

A mortal who has died and reformed on the plane of his alignment and/or deity without memory of his former life. A petitioner's ultimate goal is to become one with the plane he's occupying, although no one (not even the petitioner) knows the whole dark of this.

Edited by Colrom

As dark is the absence of light, so evil is the absence of good.

If you would destroy evil, do good.

Evil cannot be perfected. Thank God.

Remembers the fmv ending showing the Nameless One as he hefted a vicious looking mace from a stack of the things and walked into the neverending frey of demons and madmen. All the while, Khin-Oin, the Wasting Tower loomed in the distance

Bankai - "Zabimaru Howl !"

Remembers the fmv ending showing the Nameless One as he hefted a vicious looking mace from a stack of the things and walked into the neverending frey of demons and madmen. All the while, Khin-Oin, the Wasting Tower loomed in the distance

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

I was rather bored by PST. I guess that puts me in a minority.

Liked the "don't trust the skull" twist, but the rest of it felt like a waste of time to me, especially the cop-out "everybody dies and it all begins again" ending. Never really understood why the shadows were out to get him, either.

That having been said, it was very nice that they included some alternate RP routes in there, like being able to will away your clones if you had a high enough wisdom or intelligence.

Liked the "don't trust the skull" twist, but the rest of it felt like a waste of time to me, especially the cop-out "everybody dies and it all begins again" ending.

Hmm...not the ending I got/interperated.

Never really understood why the shadows were out to get him, either.

I remember the conversation that addressed this topic...

Edited by Walsingham

I dunno, in the Civic Festhall there's a guy (can't remember his name) who gives a lecture about the lower planes and the Blood War. At one point you can ask him about escaping from the Blood War, and I believe it's implied (if not outright statedthat this lecturer did escape himself, so I don't think it's impossible to escape, just very very difficult. IMHO, the whole deal with the Nameless One is that he has accepted his fate, and may not wish to escape. I also think that if a direct sequel was ever done, it may have centered around Fall-For-Grace's efforts to fine the Nameless One, since she did hint at those intentions during their farewell conversation.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

I was rather bored by PST. I guess that puts me in a minority.

Liked the "don't trust the skull" twist, but the rest of it felt like a waste of time to me, especially the cop-out "everybody dies and it all begins again" ending. Never really understood why the shadows were out to get him, either.

That having been said, it was very nice that they included some alternate RP routes in there, like being able to will away your clones if you had a high enough wisdom or intelligence.

The shadows are the people who die in place of the nameless one.

In the FOR, if you are killed, one of your npcs will permanently die in your place. (as far as i can recall)

I like the idea of a PST-type game using Ancient Greek mythology (and not necessarily using D&D rules) as the setting.

The idea, though, that you are not some corpsified horror running around a morgue but a living soul sent to the Underworld as part of some celestial mission.

You can stay as long as you like, but if you eat any food down there, you are trapped in that world. Hence, you are forced to constantly reappear in the prime world for food and other provisions.

The Underworld is a vast place: Tartarus, the Elysian Fields, the Palace of Hades, the rivers Styx, Lethe, Acheron, Cocytus, and Phlegethon; and many personalities: Cerberus, The Erinyes, Charon the Ferryman, etc.

Man, I would love a game like that.

How come the other endings weren't included ? Was it choice or  necessity ?

What other endings? If

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I just completed the game.

As far as I can tell there are 3 endings: suicide pact (whether by immortal blade or believing oneself out of existence), killing the transcendent one in combat (with variations of whether or not you ressurect your allies, and how many), and merging with the transcendent one. The merge ending is great because it's more than just an FMV.

A few questions: I have the soundtrack and there's "good ending" "neutral ending" and "bad ending" tracks, I don't recall hearing them anywhere.

Also, is there any way of interacting with the bronze sphere as a sensory stone? Or reading the circle of Zerthimon? Or FFGs diary?

I get the feeling there's much more the developers wanted to add to the game. But then, I guess, in an eternal city with all the planes and deep characters there's no end to that.

Edited by Walsingham

You can complete the circle of Zerthimon and discover Dak'kon's past and so forth.

You can use the bronze sphere.

Don't think so about the diary.

There's also a couple of insta-death points in the game (Going up against the Lady of Pain or Lothar) that I think most people count in the game

You can read through the circle of Zerthimon but it requires certain stats and IIRC conversations with Dak'kon. AFAIK FFG's diary can't be opened. Not sure about the bronze sphere; I know you can use it in the game with high int/wis, but I don't know if you're meaning something more than that.

Edited by Walsingham

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Not sure about the bronze sphere; I know you can use it in the game with high int/wis, but I don't know if you're meaning something more than that.

Usable when you see your three previous incarnations. Ask the "good incarnation" about it.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Great Googlie Jebus, ladies and gentlemen. Could you put any more spoilers in one place? :ermm:

Please use spoiler tags if you intend to give away bits of story, even if you think they aren't important.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.