World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade

Cyric

I really need to develop a social life.

But, this god damn game....boo hoo...as though it's the reason I'm not out and about cavorting with pretty chicks day in and day out. The game is why I gave up exercising and became a fat slob. Wait, what's that? Is that the Waaahmbulance off in the distance?

If the guy really valued what he says he valued, then a game, no matter how addictive it is, would have kept him from them.

Hell, if I weren't scared socially, I'd be out chatting up every girl I thought was attractive instead of sitting inside sipping coke and leveling my h4wt Night Elf Druid. Or, if I valued my latent writing and drawing abilities a bit more I'd be spending those hours filling pages.

It's weakness, plain and simple. If you can't overcome that urge to spend four hours running through a pixelated forest, killing boars for XP, in favor of a much more sought after goal....then ya don't deserve the reward you'd get from achieving it. Just like I don't.

Man, getting tired of people blaming everything else but themselves for their mistakes. Take responsibility for your actions for once, damn it.

On topic.....well, more than I was....I'm anticipating the release. Mostly 'cause of the talent changes, so maybe Beastmastery will be worth something in the end game. :o

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

McDonalds made me fat. Damn them. Damn them all.

No, seriously, while both McDonalds and Blizzard design their products to be as addictive as possible, they're really not physically addictive in any sense of the word. It's still up to you to peruse their products in a very real sense.

I played a lot of WoW, got bored, started law school, and moved away. The problem solved itself and now I don't, even though I guess I still could. Question is, unless you do something about your gaming habits once they become a problem, where does the blame really lie?

World of Warcraft doesn't really wreck lives- lack of self-restraint does.

Edited by Lord Tingeling

"McDonald's taste damn good. I'd rtahe reat their wonderful food then the poisonous junk you server in your house that's for sure.

What's funny is I'm not fat. In fact, I'm skinny. Though I am as healthy as cna be. Outside of being very ugly, and the common cold once in the blue moon I simply don't get sick."

- Volourn, Slayer of Yrkoon!

"I want a Lightsaber named Mr. Zappy" -- Darque

"I'm going to call mine Darque. Then I can turn Darque on anytime I want." -- GhostofAnakin

Hm...I meant "wouldn't have kept him from them", not would...damn lack of an edit function after a certain amount of time.

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

I think that by the end, the dude in meta's story realized the problem was with him - not the game. Sure, that was the story's sensational lead, but his actual account showed otherwise.

So, he pointed out the addictive nature of the game. Nothing wrong with that. Anything is "addictive" if you enjoy it, right? You might as well be addicted to jogging (although you wouldn't gain 30 pounds from that particular addiction). He figured out the problem and fixed it, albeit after a year of immersion in the World... of Warcraft.

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

I really want this expansion. Trouble is that with my crappy dial-up, every patch that comes out ends up adding another instance/city to the list of places my characters cannot go without 5-digit latency and constant disconnects. I have the depressing feeling that the expansion will make things even worse... if possible, since my lvl 60's can't even go into half the dungeons they need to gear up, and can rarely even stay in main cities long enough to check the bank and auction house.

I hate everyone with high speed. I just hate you all. *cries*

When I was in Middle School, I was clearly starting to neglect important things like school so I could play games like Space Quest. My parents immediately took away my game access during the week. I used to be so excited to go home and play games on Friday.

But seriously, it was the best thing they could have done. It taught me the importance of self control. My grades rebounded, and I got plenty of gaming done on the weekends. Parents need to teach these things to their children, and adults need to take responsibility for their actions.

The first vacation hubby and I went on after I became then-recently hooked on video games and one in particular, I think I spent a large portion of that trip doodling game maps and scripts on a notepad. IIRC, I even took the walkthrough book w/me so I could reference it for the scripts. *rolls eyes*

As to WoW...the huge instances never interested me, which is why I got bored of it. Too wildly chaotic, from what I've seen. But yeah, that means you're pretty limited in some things.

@ Di - your area still doesn't have any? I know the feeling - we couldn't get it piped to our house until a year and half or two ago, despite living in one of the big Silicon Valley areas. Drove us crazy. :ermm:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

US internet addicts 'as ill as alcoholics'

The US could be rife with "internet addicts" who are as clinically ill as alcoholics, according to psychiatrists involved in a nationwide study.

The study, carried out by researchers at Stanford University School of Medicine in California, US, indicates that more than one in eight US residents show signs of "problematic internet use".

The Stanford researchers interviewed 2513 adults in a nationwide survey. Because internet addiction is not a clinically defined medical condition, the questions used were based on analysis of other addiction disorders.

Most disturbing, according to the study's lead author Elias Aboujaoude, is the discovery that some people hide their internet surfing, or go online to cure foul moods

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

In order to try and get this on the rails again, what do you think of the changes made in TBC? Personally I'm in favour of both the honor system revamp (the grind was horrible and I'm sure it'll be now too, but it can't get worse), as well as the change in direction towards smaller raiding parties for endgame content. A lot of smaller, more tight-knit guilds weren't able to run things such as BWL and MC because fielding 40 competent raiders is not something every guild can or wants to do. A nice change, really.

Flowerchild the hippie elf paladin will be my summer project if things keep up, I guess.

Edited by Lord Tingeling

"McDonald's taste damn good. I'd rtahe reat their wonderful food then the poisonous junk you server in your house that's for sure.

What's funny is I'm not fat. In fact, I'm skinny. Though I am as healthy as cna be. Outside of being very ugly, and the common cold once in the blue moon I simply don't get sick."

- Volourn, Slayer of Yrkoon!

"I want a Lightsaber named Mr. Zappy" -- Darque

"I'm going to call mine Darque. Then I can turn Darque on anytime I want." -- GhostofAnakin

It's an impressive expansion, for sure. It's way above the EQ expansions in terms of value and appeal to casual gamers. The areas seem pretty gorgeous as well.

I'd still like some sort of player housing eventually, but with the maps it would have to be an instanced housing arrangement, like FFXI.

Just going to say that my best friends are honest to god addicts... the boys have 4 sixties each and the dad's got 6ish and their mom who's a complete muggle when it comes to games has two.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Indeed.

I think I'm in the "passable" category already.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds