Just got Gothic 3...

Zagor

Don't drga NWN into this thread or I';ll blame. Anyways, the only thing I'll say is while NWN AI had its problems; it was NEVER that bad. At least the AI will actually attack and defend itself in NWN. LOL

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Good things about Gothic 3:

* Good atmosphere

* Big and semi-interesting world to explore

* A few interesting factions to side with

* Very open-ended

Bad things:

* Laughably bad animation

* Awful voice acting

* Awful graphics compared to those first fifty bull**** shots they showed that looked gorgeous

* Not so good combat

* Stunlock

* Bugs, BUgs, BUGS!!!

* Bad NPC AI, especially when someone is trying to follow you somewhere.

* The decent-to-bad graphics should not require this level of hardware, and shouldn't perform so badly on new hardware

This game isn't worth it's full price. Get it in the bargain bin, or just play Gothic 2 again.

Bad things:

* Too hard

Now this is actually not on the "Bad things" list for me. The Gothic games have always been difficult. That's kind of part of their trademark. I'm actually worried that the game will be too easy, since they (Piranha Bytes) were aiming for the North American market. We will see soon.. after the second patch has been released. That's when I'm planning on installing the game.

I didnt think Gothic 2 was especially hard with the levelling curve fixed with the Night of the Raven patch. Before that it was a nightmare though, you had to scour the land of every bit of EXP you could grind just to be able to make it through the Orc pass alive. Still, you had to whore the AI exploits and whatnot to kill some enemies.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I didnt think Gothic 2 was especially hard with the levelling curve fixed with the Night of the Raven patch. Before that it was a nightmare though, you had to scour the land of every bit of EXP you could grind just to be able to make it through the Orc pass alive. Still, you had to whore the AI exploits and whatnot to kill some enemies.

Only if you liked to melee. With a magic user/paladin it was a breeze.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Some bugs in G3 are truly infuriating and are making it more and more difficult for me to enjoy the game.

I liberated a town from undead slaying a demon in the process. I then paid gold to fuel the rebuilding efforts. After i returned to the city i was immidiately assaulted by a guard who claimed i had stolen from them... >.<

Then i teleported to a location under siege. I was greeted by some friendly rebels and then immidiately was forced to start fighting about 10 orcs at the same time. Unfortunantely the friendlies were neutral to me for some reason so i could target them and my swings would hit them, so would their swings hit me.

Now combat in G3 is extremely mobile, you almost can't attack without significant forward movement. Also twohanded weapons have enormous hit arcs. Most orcs like using twohanders and so do some rebels. So imagine my frustration as i'm trying to avoid getting hit not only by orcs but also rebels whom i've been very friendly with throughout the game.

But it's not only that. You can't really target anything by yourself, the game decides what you're targeting all by itself depending on who it thinks is closest to your weapon range or something. With 15 guys moving around all over the place i would often get close to one of the rebels. Then the game might decide it's a good target and there would be no way to avoid hitting him cause fast attack sequences can't be stopped.

Frankly i'm not very exited about going back to the game at all, cause i've tried that fight about 10 times now.

I have given up. I am in Nordmar, and it's so insanely difficult, that it's not fun any more.

Every enemy is hard as h*ll too kill, even if it comes alone. But it's always packs of 5-6 at a time.

I can barely kill a single snowwolf before it gets me "stunlocked", and lets not talk about the trolls. They are impossible. I'm level 35, and the game is now even harder than in the beginning.

Hoping for a patch that gets rid of the stunlock problem...

Actually, the graphics really don't look that good. Especially considering those amazing looking shots they were releasing at first. The animation doesn't really help either... or the voice acting, which puts another rusty nail in the presentation.

And it's not really an rpg either. Or a game. More like a novel with graphics. Yeah.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Looks like this game sucks. A shame to considering the graphics look good.

Even at 1920x1080 with the game detail set to High (the highest default setting... might be able to get better texture detail by fiddling with custom settings, but I haven't tried yet), the graphics really aren't that impressive. I'd call a lot of the visual pretty generic and uninspired, by and large, and while I don't know the details about what the engine is capable of, it feels like a step in the wrong direction from Oblivion.

I keep hoping that the gameplay / story will pull me in instead of relying on lush visuals to keep me going, but it hasn't happened yet, and reports of severe balance issues continuing right on through the higher levels is quickly dashing my hopes on that front as well.

Maybe Gothic 3 just isn't for me. Who knows.

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=ht...n&hl=en&ie=UTF8

There's a german interview with one of the key personnel in Piranha Bytes out on the 'net. I tried to translate it using Google's translation service, but.. GEEZ! Is that the best all this wonderful technology around us can produce?! Translation is one area where a true AI could really work wonders. Something that could see a pattern and put things into context. Gaah! At least it's funny: "If a play is cool, one can live evenly also with nose" :))

Anyhow, the next patch is due out in less than 5-6 weeks. A long wait, considering the state the game is in. I haven't played it yet myself, but the official forums are storming over the savegame crashes and corrupted savefiles.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

From what I hear from people who've fought tooth and nail through the bugs, though, seems that a very good game lies underneath all the buggy crap. I've preordered it anyway (since it arrives at NZ this friday int he earliest anyway)... I think if you're lucky enough not to have gamekilling bugs on your particular system, then you can enjoy it a fair bit.

Gothic 3 on Gamerankings.com: 81% average so far.

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/920920.asp

I have a sneaking suspicion that this average will fall once the big ones (Gamespot, IGN, 1up and Gamespy) gets their hands on it.

I haven't played it yet myself

Cant you just install it and play a wee tiny bit to see what its like?

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Nope, I want to make sure the game is in such a state that the Piranha Bytes team feel it is as it was intended to be before I play it. I have no problems buying it early to support the game developers whose work I enjoy, but I do have problems being forced into the role as a beta-tester against my will.

Besides, Bully, Neverwinter Nights 2 and Final Fantasy XII (a longshot) are on their way, so it's not like I won't have anything else to play while waiting for the (many) patches.

Edited by mkreku

So if two males make out using the exact same animations etc. it should be rated R?

Sounds bit like "Oh, so in this game you only shoot black and latino people? Ill give it a PG13... mind you, if we find that you can shoot just a single caucasian we'll slam you with R" :wacko:"

It's typical Jack Thompson. I saw in a related article that he tried to get a judge to ban Bully from stores, and when the judge ruled in the game's favor Thompson said it was the equivalent of misleading UN inspectors about weapons of mass destruction.

Sorry for the aside. I can't really contribute anything on-topic, because my computer doesn't even come close to the minimum specs for this game.

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

"have a sneaking suspicion that this average will fall once the big ones (Gamespot, IGN, 1up and Gamespy) gets their hands on it."

Nah. G3 is a big tiem release. None of those sites will rate it less than 75% at minimum and most likely somewhere in the 80%s.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.