Just got Gothic 3...

Zagor

I pre-ordered it because in NZ most games cost $50US, but there was a $30 offer, quite nearly half price, for pre-orders. :) I've fought through so many bug-ridden games in the last few years that it doesn't matter too much for me. I even remember palying BG2 with a broken computer that would freeze every 28 minutes, on the clock. I was 12 or so and not very good with computers, so I'd simply set my alarm clock to ring every 27 minutes and I would quicksave then wait for the crash.

Needless to say that computer didn't survive very long. :o

Anyway, NZ release for Gothic 3 seems to be around October 27. I have Radeon 9600, 1gb ram, but I could run Oblivion at mediumish settings, so I guess this will be a good chance for everyone to see how it runs on a not-so-flash computer.

Played for three days now, and the game is getting much better. My character is much more powerful (level 19), and I can actually kill some animals without endless death/reloading.

I am working for the rebels, and have freed two cities from the orcs. It's fun to see them flee for their lives :-

the story is still about that the orcs have invaded Myrtana, and not much else. But I think the story may be more interesting later on, I'm still just in the beginning.

I have encountered some bugs, and the questlog doesn't always update finished quests, but I don't think it matters so much...

the gameworld is big, bigger than Oblivions i think. And more interesting and less random.

I don't regret bying the game anymore :)

Edited by Zagor

Many thought Gothic 2 sucked at first too. All the Gothics have been mongrels for new players at the start. Eventually, they open up into a brilliant game.

Tell me, this new faction system. Is it any good? does it make sure you cannot be an 'everyman' like in Oblivion? Does it have consequences?

Played for three days now, and the game is  getting much better. My character is much more powerful (level 19), and I can actually kill some animals without endless death/reloading.

I am working for the rebels, and have freed two cities from the orcs. It's fun to see them flee for their lives  :blink:

the story is still about that the orcs have invaded Myrtana, and not much else. But I think the story may be more interesting later on, I'm still just in the beginning.

I have encountered some bugs, and the questlog doesn't always update finished quests, but I don't think it matters so much...

the gameworld is big, bigger than Oblivions i think. And more interesting and less random.

I don't regret bying the game anymore  :o

Thank you. I feel a little better.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Big fan of Piranha Bytes and their Gothic series. Played the first Gothic when it dropped in 2001, very good game I must say everything bout it woz more or less on point. (w00t)

Gothic 2 meh good and not so good, half progressive half contrived n poorly executed. ;) Now Gothic 3 ... what are the system specs for this?

I played Oblivion (overrated game) on my current rig at mid to high settings perhaps this will suffice for Gothic 3?

Bankai - "Zabimaru Howl !"

I played Oblivion (overrated game) on my current rig at mid to high settings perhaps this will suffice for Gothic 3?

Probably not. Scary, huh?

It is best to have at least 2 GB RAM, a very fast processor (like, Core 2 Duo or one of the very fastest Athlon's) and an extremely powerful GPU, like 7800GTX/1900XT or better. At least that's what I've gathered from the official forums.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

See, now that was why I wanted to build a new computer...my processor is far outdated in terms of games, even if it is a 3.0ghz. Trying to be patient to see what Vista will bring, first...wait, I have no patience...

I'm glad to see Gothic has, at least, a "fun" underlying core. I've had games like that, where at first I thought "this sucks" but after forcing myself to continue a while, I ended up liking it quite a bit, imbalance or bugs and all. Y'never know. I'll still wait for a patch I think, tho.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

omg the video someone posted in the comments of that review was hilarious. The first 40 seconds and last 40 seconds, mostly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vu68ebISjHQ

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Its not as bad as I though it would be.

The player just seemed to be rushing head in when obviously that tactic doesn't work.

I remember equipping bow and arrow in BG1 and moving very cautiously taking down wolves and gibberlings one at a time when my character was low level. Same tactic might apply here like a previous poster mentioned.

Heh, yeah, I wasn't trying to say that video was a good example of gameplay - I wouldn't know, for one thing...just that it was funny. I'm pretty sure he was doing all that on purpose for a 'funny' video.

I have played for some days now, and the game is really good, but often frustrating. It's very difficult, and the combat is more about luck than skill. But the atmosphere is great.

I'm in the desert now, trying to clear out a temple from undead. It's hard as h*ll, but fun. I had to take out a giant scorpion-man guarding the entrance with the bow. He was impossible to beat in melee.

Good things about Gothic 3:

* Great atmosphere

* Good graphics

* Big and interesting world to explore

* Good art direction

* Good voice acting

* Many interesting factions to side with

* Very open-ended

Bad things:

* Not so good combat

* Too hard

* Stunlock

* Many bugs

* Bad NPC AI, especially when someone is trying to follow you somewhere.

I think I'll wait for Gothic 3 Gold. The product sounds only decent right now and I don't have the zots for a decent product when my budget only takes one game purchase before dying.

I hope NWN 2 is as great as it's made out to be.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

omg the video someone posted in the comments of that review was hilarious. The first 40 seconds and last 40 seconds, mostly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vu68ebISjHQ

The first fight is just one guy acting stupid. No way does he have to do it like that. First of all the immortality is removed very early in the game. I thought it was as soon as you completed the "tutorial", which i think was before those boars even unless you skipped the first quest that was given. I could be wrong though.

Secondly he could have avoided getting hit and stunlocked by moving back. He doesn't have to act like a stupid NPC who i admit are totally helpless against beasts and usually get stunlocked to death. Also he was not required to get up and fight the boar again with his fists, he could have sprinted away, picked up a weapon, a ranged spell or a bow and just killed the boar properly.

In the second fight some bugs are displayed. Like i mentioned already NPCs get raped by beasts. Second bug, which i'm not sure is a bug, is that NPCs sometimes don't attack a person or monster who is on a charge like the boar was. Your character can do a similar charge and sometimes other enemies besides your target just stand there doing nothing as you assault one of their mates. I said i'm not sure this is a bug because if they did indeed gang up on you then fighting more than two enemies would be pretty much impossible and it would be extremely difficult to liberate any cities cause those are all big fights.

I will definately be getting this game. Too hard eh? Sounds perfect to me.

The bugs. That is very stupid, I have no idea why they put this game out early. I thought PB was a fair sized developer?

In any case, some people have reported a LARGE increase in performance from getting a no CD patch. Apparently Jowood used some horrid copy protection system. Be careful though, its still early days so beware fakers hiding a virus.

In any case, some people have reported a LARGE increase in performance from getting a no CD patch. Apparently Jowood used some horrid copy protection system. Be careful though, its still early days so beware fakers hiding a virus.

I think those who have trouble with the copy protection system probably should check their computers first. It might be as simple as a sucky DVD-drive or some software glich or whatever.

It's also possible that any problem that someone might have is amplified on a computer that lacks the power or memory to run G3 properly. So when the system is already strained and then copy protection kicks in it might cause some additional lag indeed.

Bad things:

* Too hard

Now this is actually not on the "Bad things" list for me. The Gothic games have always been difficult. That's kind of part of their trademark. I'm actually worried that the game will be too easy, since they (Piranha Bytes) were aiming for the North American market. We will see soon.. after the second patch has been released. That's when I'm planning on installing the game.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Bad things:

* Too hard

Now this is actually not on the "Bad things" list for me. The Gothic games have always been difficult. That's kind of part of their trademark. I'm actually worried that the game will be too easy, since they (Piranha Bytes) were aiming for the North American market. We will see soon.. after the second patch has been released. That's when I'm planning on installing the game.

I can promise you, it will not be too easy. It's much more difficult than Gothic 2, a game that I finished without too many problems.