Game will not run unless sound disabled

I don't know if anyone else has had this problem.......searching the forums has not yielded anything to me.

So here goes.......I cannot get Kotor 2 to run....unless I disable the sound.

Before anyone reading this suggests updating drivers.......I have........

The real bizzare thing is that I have tried the game on another identical machine (hardware) and it works fine.....no problem........this makes no sense to me. I have looked at just about every possibility I can think of, including checking to see if there are any other programs/processes which might be interfering with the game when I try to run it......no joy there either it seems. :lol: The game appears to load as a process in Win XP but not as an application and there it stops. On another machine it loads into both areas and runs fine.

I am getting really frustrated.....wanting to play the game but being stopped it seems at every turn with anything I try.

Is there anyone who can help........please.

I would be most grateful.

Does the other machine use XP too or something else?

Some system specs might help others think of possible answers.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

And your soundcard? If the game will run with sound disabled, it's most likely an issue with the soundcard, it's drivers, some windows sound setting, or something along those lines.

Also, this may have nothing to do with your problem...but is it the launcher that's running as the process or the actual game...I had a weird problem recently where an old game's launcher would get 'stuck' as a running process and thus the game executable wouldn't load. When I manually end the launcher process the game executable then loads. It does this regardless of sound, tho, so it's probably not the same...

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

And your soundcard? If the game will run with sound disabled, it's most likely an issue with the soundcard, it's drivers, some windows sound setting, or something along those lines.

Also, this may have nothing to do with your problem...but is it the launcher that's running as the process or the actual game...I had a weird problem recently where an old game's launcher would get 'stuck' as a running process and thus the game executable wouldn't load. When I manually end the launcher process the game executable then loads. It does this regardless of sound, tho, so it's probably not the same...

The sound card/system is an onboard Realtek HD chip and I uninstalled the drivers and installed the latest ones to see if that would fix the problem.....no dice!!!!

The game itself runs as a process but not an app......The launcher is fine.......in fact the launcher can play sound......but the main game executable cannot!!!

If you check your system when the game is runnig you will probably see Kotor 2 running as an app and if you look in the processes list you will find kotor2.exe in there as well.....just the way the game runs I guess!?! Except on my system where it does not :o Anyhow......I also sent a technical request email off to Lucas Arts to see if they have any ideas (from their game support forum). They requested as part of it to send a log of Dxdiag.......... so I did. They also stated that they normally deal with technical requests in about 48 hours........... 72 hours later and counting, I have had no reply................so am not holding my breath.

Thanks for the suggestions anyway.

BTW I installed Kotor 1 on this system to see if it would have similar issues............no joy there either..............it runs sweet. I guess the game engine is not quite the same after all.

From what I've read/heard, Kotor2 is sometimes notoriously glitchy etc. with laptops in particular. Not a serious techie tho so don't really know, or remember, why. Sorry can't be more help, hope you find an answer.

From what I've read/heard, Kotor2 is sometimes notoriously glitchy etc. with laptops in particular. Not a serious techie tho so don't really know, or remember, why. Sorry can't be more help, hope you find an answer.

Thanks for trying to help anyway........at least you tried......no one else here has offered any advice thus far. I appreciate you taking the time to give me some advice.

I guess I will just have to keep trying things/researching/waiting and hoping that someone has an aswer for me. No joy from Lucas Arts yet either (4 days and still waiting), so much for a 48hr minimum reply time.

I guess I will just have to keep trying things/researching/waiting and hoping that someone has an aswer for me. No joy from Lucas Arts yet either (4 days and still waiting), so much for a 48hr minimum reply time.

I was looking at some other gaming sites and there are other games that had that problem with the onboard sound but no solution was given except to get the drivers from your MB maker and update and/or flash the bios.

I would highly recommend never using onboard video or sound for gaming. If it's a new rig it might be possible to get your seller to upgrade to a regular soundcard for little cost. (You can also tell them some programs won't run sound with the system as-is).

Good luck to you, hope you get it worked out one way or the other.

I was looking at some other gaming sites and there are other games that had that problem with the onboard sound but no solution was given except to get the drivers from your MB maker and update and/or flash the bios.

I would highly recommend never using onboard video or sound for gaming. If it's a new rig it might be possible to get your seller to upgrade to a regular soundcard for little cost. (You can also tell them some programs won't run sound with the system as-is).

Good luck to you, hope you get it worked out one way or the other.

Thanks Fiery,

I wish it that simple.......being a notebook though.....onboard sound and video is all it can ever have. Never mind.