What you could do if your Radeon 9x00 crashes...

Hello there!

It seems that my Radeon 9600XT card could have some problems with it's voltage regulator.

I experienced the "colorful vertical lines" aka "multi-colored vertical lines" problem with complete crash in numerous titles like KOTOR1&2, Jedi Knight II&III, C&C Generals and so on... Tried everything and always thought it was a driver problem.

Now I am using ATI TRAY TOOL with the most recent Omega Drivers to clock down my card by 20 perecnt (now 400/240 mhz). This solved ALL of my problems. The titles quoted above work like hell. I player KOTOR1 for hours yesterday without a single crash. I can reproduce the problem: as soon as i run memory und gpu with the normal frequencies, the crashes re-occur.

Even with the 20 percent clock down the game runs fast enough on my P4 3.0Ghz.

Maybe this helps someone. I am happy now - both KOTOR titles are working again!!! (w00t)

Bye locutus

If you can't run your card at normal frequencies then it is faulty. (or poorly designed, either way not working to spec).

Sounds more like your graphics card heatsink has become loose or your fan can't go at max anymore so it's overheating.

sigpic0yb.jpg

Pure Pazaak - The Stand-alone Multiplayer Pazaak Game (link to Obsidian board thread)

Pure Pazaak website (big thank you to fingolfin)

If you can't run your card at normal frequencies then it is faulty. (or poorly designed, either way not working to spec).

Sounds more like your graphics card heatsink has become loose or your fan can't go at max anymore so it's overheating.

No it's not. There are many games where I can run the card at full freq without problems. But with some titles there are problems. It is not a heat problem - i have been checking this. Logging the temp of the card. Everything is fine even in the last moment before the crash - no raising temps. So the card ist not faulty and also not overheating.

Bye Oliver

No it's not. There are many games where I can run the card at full freq without problems. But with some titles there are problems. It is not a heat problem - i have been checking this. Logging the temp of the card. Everything is fine even in the last moment before the crash - no raising temps. So the card ist not faulty and also not overheating.

Bye Oliver

Did you update a driver or anything recently?