Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Isn't the movie patch totally pointless?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

Mozgus

Mozgus

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 9 posts
So anyway, the movies which are included with the huge media patch are encoded at 1600x680, right?

Well, no matter what I do, the game will always PLAY them at just 640x480, which was fine for the original versions of the videos, which ran at 640x272. I've tried editing the ini file's resolutions, in both DISPLAY and GRAPHICS subcatagories, to set it to my LCD's native 1280x1024, but that didn't work. In game graphics display at that setting fine, but when an FMV kicks in, it drops to 640x480.

Also, I hate the 2 second wait time when my monitor has to constantly change resolutions when it shouldn't have to.

What do you have to do to keep the resolution from changing between FMV sequences?

Dark_Raven

Dark_Raven

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 13727 posts
It's pointless considering how huge the download it is.

Mozgus

Mozgus

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 9 posts

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Eh, I've downloaded bigger. It didn't phase me. If I could just see them displayed in a decent resolution, it would be worthwhile. The FMVs are actually rather impressive.

sevencreature

sevencreature

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 4 posts

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Huge? ROFL

Sorry, but that was really stupid answer to the starting post :o

I'm solving similar problem atm - both KotOR and KotOR 2 are screwed when the in-game fmv ends in my PC - I have to disable movies to be able to play these games.

Oh and I hate that insane feature to turn monitor resolution down to prehistoric 640x480 for movie playback...

sevencreature

sevencreature

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 4 posts
However it seems that those "high" res (lol) movies are upscales - but worse thing is that there are lots of artefacts present >_>

kalimeeri

kalimeeri

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 573 posts
The movies are beautiful and they do play back properly. There is a second or two delay while they load, because they are huge. You can try changing the resolution the game is running in, and see if that helps; but I think not every video card can perform the necessary acrobatics to display them.

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 9061 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
There used to be a long thread techie sort of thread about the movie patch debating/troubleshooting the reasons why some saw vast improvement and some did not - but it no longer exists.

The only thing I remember is that your monitor and possibly the video card should hardware-support 1600.1200 resolution - although that may not be the actual reason you're not seeing a difference. There are always other possibles. :-

Judge Hades

Judge Hades

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 13912 posts

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Huge? ROFL

Sorry, but that was really stupid answer to the starting post :blink:

I'm solving similar problem atm - both KotOR and KotOR 2 are screwed when the in-game fmv ends in my PC - I have to disable movies to be able to play these games.

Oh and I hate that insane feature to turn monitor resolution down to prehistoric 640x480 for movie playback...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

She's on a 56k dial up. That is a freaking huge download for people on dial up.

Dark_Raven

Dark_Raven

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 13727 posts
Yeah I don't have the whole week to sit round waiting for a download that should have come with the game.

Judge Hades

Judge Hades

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 13912 posts
A whole week? That fast eh?

Dark_Raven

Dark_Raven

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 13727 posts
A guess I would assume. Anything in the gigabite range I would not even make the attempt.

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 10613 posts

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Huge? ROFL

Sorry, but that was really stupid answer to the starting post :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

She's on a 56k dial up. That is a freaking huge download for people on dial up.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When you run across stupid replies like that (sevencreature's), just add them to your ignore list or report them for trolling. Personal insults are not called for when people try to be helpful. Agree or disagree and leave it at that. I wouldn't be surprised if he is related to the original poster :ermm:

CoM_Solaufein

CoM_Solaufein

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 5116 posts
  • Steam:apocalypse_2000
Trolling other board members = bad

Get the idea?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users